Jenn@FrugalUpstate is continuing her Frugal Food series. This week’s feature is ground beef.
The following is a FishBoy favorite. They absolutely love it! And even though it’s summer time and hot and humid and buggy and sticky, I keep getting requests for this meal. Go figure.
I’ve tweaked this from the original to suit my family’s tastes and budget. The original called for several packaged mixes; I’ve just subbed my own spices. What’s SO wonderful about this is that it cooks in the crockpot and a 5 year old can put it together for you. I open the cans, and he does the rest. How easy is that?!
Recipe: Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can hominy, drained (optional)
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce (we like Las Palmas)
- 1 -2 cups water (depending on how thick you like your soup/chili)
- 1 T. oregano
- 1 T. onion powder
- 1 T. dried parsley
- 1 t. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: salsa, grated cheese, sour cream
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot.
- Cook for at least 4 hours on high. Serve with toppings.
- To freeze: cool the soup and store in meal- or individual-sized portions in the freezer, for up to 2 months. Reheat before serving.
We eat cornbread and butter with this.