Extreme Something….

Give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he’ll eat for the rest of his life.

Extreme Home Mismanagement here.

Comments

1. Mrs. Querido says:

Wow. That is so sad. Good ol’ fashioned American avarice prevails again. How sad for all of those people who dedicated their time and materials. What a waste of generosity.

2. JessieLeigh says:

Oh, I read this article earlier today! It made me so angry… and it’s not like I was actually involved in the project. My heart goes out to the individuals who volunteered their time and talents and I pray that perhaps this serves as a valuable lesson to that family.

3. FishMama says:

My heart goes out to the family as well. While I would never call them “victims,” as the article does, I have been known to make some really unwise choices myself, particularly concerning money.

It’s just another example of where we (Americans) think we need more than we do, and we speculate (use debt) in order to get it. That “works” for so few people. Give me good old fashioned, scrimping and saving any day.

4. I have always wondered if some families could handle the huge new homes and all that goes along with it. Sad. By the way I emailed my address to you for the christmas album I won. Hope I did it all right. I am new at this. Praying for your new baby and family. Blessings, Grammy

5. FishMama says:

I hope y’all don’t hear cockiness in my “voice.” I think all of us have fallen for some kind of scheme that we regret. For this family, that would include a reverse mortgage.

I don’t know that I could handle it, either. As we see the end of our debt, it’s hard not to get a little too confident.

6. FishMama says:

Grammy, you’re fine on the address. I just need to get to the PO. Thanks!

7. JessieLeigh says:

I didn’t hear any cockiness in your voice, Jessica, but I still don’t have a whole lot of pity for this family (though I’m trying…)

Before having children, I worked as a manager in a bank and (I’m sorry to say) I am just so tired of hearing of the “mistakes” people make and how “bad things happened to them”. There truly ARE devastating circumstances that make my heart ache for people in a really bad financial place. But too often it’s a long series of bad decisions, not just one or two “oops” moments.

And now I sound like quite the heartless one, I’m afraid…

8. FishMama says:

It’s a fine line, isn’t it, Jessie?

I don’t “pity” them – I think they made some stupid moves. But, I guess I want to be compassionate in that I’ve made stupid moves, too. I know the feeling of looking back and thinking, What have I done?!

And even though we’re on the “right track” now, I don’t want to get so cocky that I think I’m above “stupid moves.”

You’re probably right in that there was a pattern of bad choices that leads one to a 450K reverse mortgage/foreclosure. Yikes!

9. JessieLeigh says:

Oh, goodness knows I’ve made some stupid choices in the past. And I’ve no doubt that I will in the future. Perhaps not of this magnitude, but still…

I guess the area where I can drum up some compassion is that this family now has hundreds of people across the country (like me) having somewhat disparaging thoughts about them. I need to simply step back and pray that ALL of us are guided to make wise and appropriate decisions.