Preschool Play: Christmas Stories

Long, long ago, in a time when I only had one child, I visited a friend’s home at Christmastime and was amazed at her collection of children’s Christmas picture books. Though I had always been a voracious reader and loved buying books for our son, I had never thought of creating a holiday collection. What an inspiration!

Whitney kept her books with her holiday decorations and brought them out at Christmas time. The festive, colorful covers added to the decor of her living room, but also added to her children’s enjoyment of the season.

That year we started a collection and have built it over the years. Some of our favorites include:

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
The Tale of Three Trees
How the Grinch Stole Christmas

(For more Christmas book ideas, go here.)

I keep them in a basket in the living room so that whenever we sit down to “be cozy,” we’ve got great reads right at our fingertips.

So keep your eyes peeled for great books. Chances are you might find some at the next yard sale, used book store, or thrift shop. Thinking ahead will enhance your experience come December.

What’s your favorite Christmas book?

Comments

1. Tiffany says:

I’m loving this series!!! Especially the links to Organized Christmas. I’ve been popping in over there all day!!!

I have a few different versions of “The Night Before Christmas” that I like to read. I’m slowly building my Christmas book collection too. I want to add a good one I saw last year about what Christmas is REALLY about…it was geared for toddlers, and had Santa talking about Jesus. I sure wish I could remember what it was called!!!

2. Last year I added Mortimer’s Christmas Manger to our Christmas books. Sweet little story with cute pictures.

3. We’ve started using books with our Advent calendar. We wrap up 25 children’s Christmas books with Christmas paper and place them in a basket.

Each night in December they get to take turns picking one book to unwrap and read. We use the same books every year and then hide them away with the decorations as well. Our favorite is “God Gave Us Christmas”, but there are so many good ones!

I can’t wait to start reading some chapter books as my all-time favorite Christmas book is “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.” We read it every year when I was a little girl, can’t wait to pass on the tradition!

4. Mrs. Pear says:

We try to add a book or two each year, and they are boxed away in the box that gets opened at Advent.

So from the top of my head two of our favorites that are not listed are:

God Gave Us Christmas

Room for A Little One (which I cannot say enough about!)

5. Mrs. Pear says:

Oh, and we agree with Steph that Mortimer’s Christmas Manger is just to sweet!

6. I love Christmas books. I love to go to Borders when they put out the childrens Christmas books and sit and read any I have not read before. I like Winter’s Gift by Jane Monroe Donovan and A Small Miracle by Peter Collington. They may be for five and older because they bring up a lot to discuss.

7. windycindy says:

Hi, I like the book “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever!” Thanks, Cindi
    jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

8. dancebythelight says:

“Lion in the Box” by Marguerite de Angeli. All of Angeli’s books are fabulous, but this one is great for Christmas.

9. FishMama says:

What a great list y’all are making for me! I guess I’ve been missing out. I didn’t know there were so many more good books out there. Time to go book shopping!

10. kdawnchristian says:

This is such a great idea. My daughter keeps her Christmas books on her bookcase but I think they will be much more special if we start saving them for the Christmas season. And, I can’t wait to start adding to our collection thanks to these great recommendations.

My favorite Christmas book/story is O. Henry’s “The Gift of the Magi.” It is a beautiful picture of selfless love and the desire to give more than you get.

11. Luke and Stacie says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of putting a Christmas book collection in a special place during the holidays! My boys would love it, and it would encourage so many good read-alouds and discussions with them. I have some great Christmas picture books already, but will be shopping for more with the intent of doing this. Thanks Jessica!

12. JessieLeigh says:

Oh, we LOVE “Room For a Little One” around here! I can’t even bear to put it up after the Christmas season. It stays tucked just inside a closet, along with the Little People Nativity, for when we “need a little Christmas”. I agree with Mrs. Pear. I cannot say enough good things about that story. And the illustrations are gorgeous.

13. Kristinia - Loving Heart Mommy says:

My favorite is “A Christmas Carol”, my son’s soo far is Dr. Seuss’ “The Grinch who Stole Christmas”! :)

14. madhotliteracy says:

My hands down favorite has got to be Jesus Christmas Party by Nicholas Allen. Its not well known by far, but it is a beautiful retelling of the story of Jesus birth from the perspective of the poor innkeeper (who didn’t get much sleep that night!) It has a nice repetition to it and is wonderful for young children who like to chime in. I have read it aloud on several occasions as a part of a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day church celebration (terrific children’s sermon when Christmas falls on Sunday!) Its always a hit.

15. Broken Dishes says:

My sis-in-law owns Christmas Oranges and I have been meaning to add it to our books every year. We personally enjoy, Marta and the Christmas Straw:A Christmas Tradition from Poland. We also like Josie’s Gift by Kathleen Long Bostrom. I wrap ours up and each day one child gets to open one book. It’s always very exciting!

I made the BB Pie last night. We loved it! I just ate the leftovers for lunch! Thanks again.

Rachel

16. Whoa, Andrew Peterson wrote a Christmas book??? :) Must add to Christmas list…

We also love Best Christmas Pageant Ever. A Child’s Christmas at St. Nicholas Circle by Thomas Kinkade makes me teary-eyed every time!

17. FishMama says:

Psyched you out, Lauren. Sorry, about that. I think you saw my Amazon link to his album. That link is just a bunch of cool Christmas stuff I liked, not just books. Sorry for the confusion.

18. Ah, well, that’s okay. I had just heard the other day about a book he had written for children that I’m excited to check out.

We’re huge AP fans around here.

Trackbacks

1. [...] friend shared this idea with me years ago. She had a huge collection of Christmas books that she only brought out in December. I loved that idea and wondered if we’d ever have a [...]