TGIF: Make a Memory

One of the wonderful things about having kids is all the opportunity for memory-making. In our family these occasions might include, but are not limited to:

• impromptu (and very silly) songs made by FishPapa. I hope to share some in the near future.
  • spontaneous donut runs to Krispy Kreme
  • watching a movie and eating popcorn with lots of butter
  • FishMama (the Sugar Police) letting them each have a whole can of pop on the Fourth of July
  • and dressing up like cows so we can get free food at Chick-Fil-A!

Today we spent an hour or so crafting cow costumes so that we could get free food at Chick-Fil-A. Personally, I don’t think their chicken is all that great. And their prices are over the top. But, the fresh-squeezed lemonade and waffle fries are very good. According to this glutton, anyway.

So, we dressed everyone in hats and spots and black and white. The manager gave the nod to all the kids for a free kids’ meal. She needed a little arm twisting to give me the go. C’mon – pink udders on my belly? Surely, that qualifies a combo meal. Everyone who had a cow accessory (like a headband?) got a free sandwich, so surely, the pink udders counted for something! In the end, we bagged over $20 of free lunch.

The kids had a great time and scarfed down the food. Even half my wrap and Cana’s fries. The only disappointment was that the playplace said it was for children 3 and under. (Is this normal? FishBoy4 was highly disappointed. To say the least.)

How can you make a memory tonight? You don’t have to dress up like a cow, though I think my kids will always remember today. Got some ideas? Share them with us in the comments section.

Comments

1. Shel @ Life With Seven says:

How cute you look all dressed up like a cow;-) You’re daring, but I guess it was worth the free lunches!

2. Mrs. Querido says:

I wish we had a Chik-Fil-A over here in the Pacific NW. Dressing up like a cow for free food…count me in! The boys would have loved it! You guys were very creative!

3. Hi,

I am new to your blog but wanted to comment about making memories.

My daughter and I make memories by reading together each night. Currently we are reading through the Little House Series; we also like to watch an episode of Little House before bed if she manages to get her teeth brushed and pajamas on early enough.

Another memory we made was picking Crabapples the other day; we were picking from a tree outside one of the post offices and people kept coming over to see what we were picking and what we were going to do with them. Elizabeth thought it was so interesting how people were so curios. Once we got home with the crabapples we sat together on the lawn swing and separated the apples from loose leaves and stems. The chickens crowded around thinking we were going to feed them a snack.

When my son was younger, he is 18, we made one of the best memories ever. One morning in early fall we went down the road to a field and picked peanuts that a tractor had missed. We spent all morning gathering the nuts and then we roasted them after we got back home. Those peanuts were wonderful and I imagine we will remember that day for the rest of our lives.

4. I loved the pictures! Regarding the playplace at Chick-fil-A — All the ones I’ve been in have a section for children under 3 (usually under a big plastic tree) and then they have the climbing area with climbing tower, tunnels and slide for children over 3. I’ve never seen one that was restricted just to children under age 3.

5. Zimms Zoo says:

We hit it too and we didn’t need to do much to get the free kids meals and combos. It was awesome. The lady was like you can order whatever you want.

So I scored big time on that too! I posted our pictures on our blog if you want to take a peek!

OH yeah ours said for 3 and under but all the kids were playing on it and no one stopped them. Man my big kids might have cried.

6. Ruth Ann says:

Cute Pictures!!

Regarding the playplace – our Chick-Fil-A restaurants have a small area designated for children under age 3. Usually there are interactive games that they can play (buttons to push, mirrors to look into, etc). But the big climbing area is for kids over age 3. I can’t remember if there is a height restriction for the big kids’ play area! My kids are all 5 and under – so I haven’t had to pay too much attention to that yet!

7. Briana Almengor says:

We dressed like cows tonight, too…even my wonderful hubby! :)
    I’m going to try to post pics. on my blog soon.
    Nice udders.

8. Tiffany says:

How cute!! We had totally planned to do this today…but forgot until late afternoon. And Chick-Fil-A is half an hour away…so we didn’t go. But it sure looks like you guys had fun!!!

9. What fun! I would have done this if it wasn’t a day I had to work. :)

We recently went to a ChickFilA for the first time. I, too, thought the whole play area was designated for “under 3″, but I saw older kids going in. So I went and checked it out, and it turned out to be a badly placed sign, meant to indicate the lower level of the play area where there are wheels to turn and mirrors to look into. (Confirmed by additional text under the big sign.) The climbing area and slide were not off-limits to older kids– there was a more reasonable height restriction for that area.

I think ChickFilA just needs to look at how their sign is placed. I hope this is the case at your local store, also- I know my DD-5 would have been very disappointed, too!

10. wow… gets the cow. Good job on the costumes. Mighty crafty. You amaze me. I am jealous. I would have dressed like a cow for a yummy chick fil-A chicken sandwich. The waffle cut fries are good and I would love to try their sweet tea. The closest one to me is over an hour away in Oxnard.

11. FishMama says:

Patty, thanks for sharing your ideas with us! Picking produce definitely seems to be a winner, especially if you don’t have to pay high prices for it.

Yeah, my poor big little boy (4yo) cried quite a bit that he didn’t get to play. (It was pretty crowded by that point. I hate those playplaces!)

12. mommykerrie says:

so cute! ours in OP has family night every week and kids eat free. they say they’ll feed 10 kids free if you buy a combo meal.

forget that playplace rule! rules like that are made for people with 2.2 children. my kids are a team, and my oldest helps me gain sanity by going in places like that with them. a family place is a family place.

love the udders! i would’ve shown them my nursing bra and said, “i AM a dairy cow, people!”

Trackbacks

1. [...] you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or receive free updates via email. Thanks for visiting!Remember this? Yes, two summers ago I was very pregnant and dressed like a cow. That’s FishChick next to me, [...]