Toolin’ Up Tuesday: Swiffer Wetjet

For Clean Sweep week, I thought I’d share one of our favorite cleaning tools: the Swiffer Wetjet. Love it! Love it!

It’s basically a mop with a self-contained dispenser of floor cleaner. It has a wonderful button that you push that automatically shoots cleaner where you need it.

But, I must admit that we’ve “doctored” our Wetjet a little bit, kind of like painting custom pin stripes and flames on your cute red convertible. It was pretty sweet as it was, but now it’s suped up a bit.

First, FishPapa reinforced the handle with some duct tape. This has strengthened it for all kinds of duty. Second, instead of buying the disposable cleaning pads, we use a washable mop head with velcro. FishPapa wisely attached super-heavy duty velcro to the swiffer base. The mop head stays on well, but it can be easily removed for washing.

Now that our eldest FishBoy is 11, he has graduated to a new level of chores. Swabbing the decks is now one of his weekly duties, and he does a great job keeping our wood floors shipshape. The Swiffer helps him do that.

What “thing” makes life easier at your house? Write about it on your blog and then come back here and share your link in the comments section. If you don’t have a blog, that’s okay, just tell us about it in the comments section.

Comments

1. Without a doubt, its my new Swivel Sweeper! I’m thinking of selling them door-to-door :)
    My four year old boys can sweep up the dining room flawlessly with it (no dustpan to trickle trash on the way to the can). A word of caution: my 5yr old girl sucked her twin sister’s hair up in it. HMMMM-was that intentional? So keep it away from your head-haha!

2. Does coffee count as a tool? LOL, I’m just kidding. Kind of… ;)

3. FishMama says:

Lauren, if it makes your job easier, it definitely counts!

4. This is not so much a tool, but I use OdoBan Spray in Eucalyptus scent. Mostly for removing odors. I use it on the furniture to remove dog and man scent. I also use it for the trashcan.

5. FishMama says:

“Dog and Man scent” – that cracks me up. That’s my sister, people!

6. Donna(mom24boyz) says:

Come see my embarrassing favorite tool! Helpfulhomemaker

7. Courtney says:

Freezer pops. They make my life easier. They are great for teething kids, cooling off on hot days, hydration, and lifting spirits. Plus, you instantly become the best mom ever.

8. This one is an old-but-a-goodie. The Dustbuster! We don’t use a dustpan anymore. Sweep it all into one pile, then the kids LOVE to use the dustbuster! They actually fight over who’s turn it is to do it. They actually look around for stuff that I didn’t get with the broom! It is also great to use to suck up the 1 year old’s meal mess in the carpeted dining room.

9. Heather says:

Swiffers are my favorite dusters. I just buy the refill boxes and use them as my regular dust rags – yeah — easy as can be. My other favorite tool is my crock pot. I just lobe throwing ingredients in, going out and playing with my kids and coming back pater to have dinner all done – makes for a relaxing evening!

10. Save100ADay says:

Our friends have a 2-year-old who has his own swiffer. When they assembled it, they didn’t put in the middle sections, so it is jut the right height for him. It is one of his favorite toys! His wife is gonna love him for that someday!

11. Bethany says:

That is so funny. I do the swiffer wet jet but like the disposable pads because I hate laundry….anyhow, I don’t use the solution because I can’t stand how it smells and so I use my own floor solution (shaklee basic H) in a bottle but I love how easy the thing cleans the floors and no mop bucket to haul around.

12. Hi, Grammy of four girls(one,three,four and six) here. I also do daycare. I was looking for summer tips and liked your blog. My kids like to use a plastic dust pan to scoop up blocks. Makes pickup easier.

13. FishMama says:

We have seen the commercial to the Swivel Sweeper so much on qubo. I wonder if it’s any better than our Shark?

Donna, love the shopvac. Go YOU! (Personally, I am considering getting a small one just for legos. Whaddya think?)

Courtney, I’ll take anything to make me “the best mom ever.”

Bethany, that is funny.

Granny, thanks for a good idea. Never thought of that. Maybe it will work on legos???

(I hate legos.)

So many great ideas! Thanks, ladies!