Recipe Swap: What’s a Dish that You Deliver?

Having a baby is a wonderful occasion on many points. Sweet cheeks, soft skin and hair, no more Braxton-Hicks contractions.

Another is that neighbors and friends love to cook for you. How nice is that?!

Over the years I’ve been blessed to know a number of great cooks, and as a result, our recipe collection has grown thanks to friends who’ve shared out of their abundance.

Now a new baby is not the only time to gift a friend with a meal. Moving, a death in the family, hard financial times, or just no reason at all — these are all great moments to surprise a friend with a homecooked meal.

One of our favorites to make and share is Chicken Pot Pie. FishBoy11 seems to ask me every week when I’m going to make another one. So, I thought I would share it with you. It’s an easy recipe for freezing. If you’re going to share with friends, you can deliver it hot and ready, or simply include baking instructions. Add a green salad and a yummy dessert, and you have a meal to bless the multitudes.

Chicken Pot Pie
Makes 1 pie serving 4-6

2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast
½ cup frozen peas
½ cup cooked, diced carrots
½ cup cooked, diced potatoes
¼ cup butter or margarine
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup milk
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons thyme
double pie crust (see following recipe)

Combine chicken breast, peas, carrots, and potatoes in a bowl; set aside. In medium saucepan, melt butter. Sauté onion until clear. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly. Whisk in broth and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Stir in seasonings. Pour over chicken-vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Cool completely if preparing for freezer. Line pie plate with bottom crust. Pour in filling. Position top crust, crimp edges, wrap, label and freeze.

To serve: Vent top and brush with milk. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes and then reduce heat and bake at 375° until crust is browned and filling bubbles, about one hour more.

If serving the day pie is made, simply bake at, 375° for one hour or until crust is brown and filling bubbles.

• Mixed, frozen vegetables may be substituted for the peas, carrots, and potatoes.
• This is also delicious made with cooked turkey.

Pie Crust
With a food processor, it takes only minutes to prepare!
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons (l ½ sticks) butter or margarine
¼ cup cold water

Combine flour and salt in bowl. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Add water a little at a time until dough starts to stick together. Turn out onto plastic wrap and shape into ball. Cut ball in half. Flatten each half into a disk. Between sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap roll out each disk to a thin circle. Chill until ready to use.

What’s your favorite meal to share with others? Please share it with us! It’s so helpful to have lots of choices to choose from when it’s time to deliver a meal to friends.

There are two ways to participate in this week’s recipe swap:
1. Simply post it in the comments section.
2. Post your recipe on your blog. Please mention www.lifeasMOM.com in your post. Then, come back here to add your link to Mr. Linky below. (Find instructions for Mr. Linky here.)

Comments

1. JessieLeigh says:

I tend to make breakfast-type dishes, heavy on the baking. I love to bake up fresh muffins and tuck them in a basket with some farm-fresh eggs, a bottle of juice, and a thermos of coffee.

On the flip-side, the greatest dish I RECEIVED was a stuffed shell dish full of feta and spinach, delivered in a small slow cooker that we were advised to keep. (The husband of that family works for Rival!) So thoughtful and useful!

2. Both of those are such clever ideas! I never heard of doing either. But, I love those ideas!

3. I love this idea as this area is always a struggle for me.

Thanks for sponsoring this!

BTW-I really enjoy your blog every day.

4. ~Steffie~ says:

I tend to make a casserole, or bake something like some cookies or muffins that people can snack on during hectic times. My mother likes to make huge batches of chex mix for such occasions and this will usually last for quite some time, plus its delicious, she uses the recipe right on the box.

Thrifty Wench

5. Donna(mom24boyz) says:

I make an easy and unique golden mushroom pork dish. I have yet to meet anyone who did not love this dish.

6. First, I love that crock-pot story! Secondly, we have received far more than we have ever given! When I had all 5 children on the scene (2.5 and under) our church did 4 months worth of meals (every other day). And one dear lady cooked a meal for me once a week for 2 years!!!! I am not joking! She cooked a lot of food (fed us for 3 days out of the week). She would make things like chicken and dumplings, homemade fruit and nut bread, soup, chicken and rice-all delicious (this is why I need to loose 20 pounds…) This served us so much that it is now my favorite way to serve others. I like to bring quiche, salad, fruit. Most people like quiche, it is inexpensive to make, it can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and it’s not what people get a lot of. Also, pasta dishes ae a good way to stretch 3 chicken breasts or pound of ground beef. Jessica, maybe people will read this post and get ideas what to bring you soon!

7. amysfinerthings says:

After the birth of my third baby, two of my aunts called and said they didn’t know what gift to purchase since this was my third, so they were bringing food. What an awesome gift! Between the two of them I received several meals and 2 desserts. It was great!

8. I like to deliver a meaty and real cheesy lasagna to friends who need a meal. It is comfort food to me. And who doesn’t like lasagna, especially one they don’t have to make?

9. Kathleen Grace says:

I followed my SIL here and wanted to leave a tip. My husband and I noticed that quite often at garage sales there were loads of pyrex pie plates, casseroles and cake pans for sale for as little as 50 cents each! We decided to pick some up for those meals we take to others. We dont care if we get them back, they are cheaper than the floppy tin stuff at the dollar store, and the presentation and ease of carrying and reheating can’t be beat!

10. Garden Gal says:

This was my second effort at making pot pie & I have to say, hubbs & I were quite impressed! I'm not a big fan of Thyme, so I'll probably leave that out next time, but I couldn't believe how yummy the sauce was! I could definitely see this being a big hit as a dinner for someone in need. We're hoping to get a freezer for the garage before the baby comes next spring & when we do, this will be one of the first dishes I make to have on hand!