Story Swap: Our Baby Story

Warning: I’m guessing that today’s post and subsequent links are not for the faint of heart. If you don’t want to hear about episiotomies, tearing, or other physical details of labor and delivery, come back another time. ;)

Recently Amy posted a funny (as always) little tidbit about swapping Childbirth stories. If you’re a mom, whether through biology or adoption, you’ve got a story to tell. And don’t we love to hear them?

As promised, here’s my latest, rather short and sweet, birth story:

If you’ve been tracking with me over the last couple months, you know that in this pregnancy, I’ve had several “wild” nights, when my Braxton-Hicks were so intense and so regular that I thought it was the real deal. However, since I know that a “false alarm” would cost us bigtime (financially) at the hospital, I’ve always stayed at home, waiting to see if it was “practice” or not.

Well, Monday morning rose bright and sunny. I had had a good sleep after several days of forced rest due to nausea. It was about 6 am and I felt lots of pelvic pressure, but no contractions. My first contraction started about 7 and they continued at four minute intervals from the get-go. Before FishPapa had even made his coffee, I was pretty sure it was the real thing. A little before 8, I called my OB’s answering service.

Note to answering service office managers: Big Bands music is not a good choice for your “on hold music selections.”

The operator told me who was on call and that Dr. A (my doc) would switch on duty at 9. Didn’t think we should wait until then, so I left a message.

Shortly after that we decided to just head to the hospital. I knew these were “real” and since we were going to induce the next day anyway, it seemed like the time to go. It’s a good thing, too, since the on-call physician never called us back.

Subsequently, the nurses were not expecting us, but it was early and slow, so we got into a room and checked in. We were blessed to see Joy again, the nurse who “caught” FishBoy4 when the on-call physician didn’t get there in time. We all laughed at the memory, and I liked it that the people who delivered my last two babies were both going to be there.

At this point I was 5 to 6 centimeters at about 8:30. At 9 Dr. A came and checked me. I was 7cm. He suggested that we break my water and be done in an hour. An hour sounded good to me. So, we continued to labor.

Since I’m an “all-natural” girl when it comes to birthing babies, I relied on relaxation and breathing techniques to get me through each contraction. However, they were never too overwhelming. But, for that first 45 minutes I sat on the bed. FishPapa put pressure on my back with each contraction which definitely helped. I knew I needed to change positions, but for some reason I was hesitant to.

At 9:45 our nurse and Dr. A both came in and I asked for suggestions. My brain wasn’t able to do the thinking on its own! They both said to get out of bed. So, I did. Stood for one contraction. Dr. A said he’d be back at 10 to check me. (He still had patients to see all day!)

I sat on the birthing ball for about four more contractions and knew it was time. Just a few minutes before 10, the doc and nurse came in and heard me vocalizing. Both commented that it was time — and don’t push!

Easier. said. than. done.

I’m amazed that I climbed in that bed as quickly as I did! But there was no holding back at this point. Dr. A was scrambling to get on shoe covers, a smock, and gloves. He almost made it! By the time she crowned, he had one glove on and a nurse was frantically trying to get him set up on the other hand. But, the baby was basically out. I was trying to hold back, really. He said I could push and with two more pushes, my sweet girl met the world.

She was born at 10:01. Does Dr. A+ know how to call ‘em or what?

I got to hold her and nurse her right away. She latched on with no problem. It just all felt so great — especially the “other side of pregnant part.” That was one of the things that motivated me — I know how good it feels to be on the other side and hold that sweet baby.

(At least until the afterpains kick in.)

What’s your story?!

1. Write about it on your blog and bring your link back here. (For specifics on how to post in Mr. Linky, go here.)

OR

2. Share it in the comments section.

P.S. I’ll be back later with pics and an update. We’ve had a few bumps in the road, but are seeing God work in it all in an amazing way — of course.

Comments

1. JessieLeigh says:

What a sweet and encouraging birth story! That’s the kind of story I would have LOVED to hear when I was expecting. Now mine? Not so much that kind of tale… : )

2. JessieLeigh says:

Thanks for repairing me, Jessica! Not sure what I was doing there… I think it has to do with the fact that there are currently five men ripping shingles off my roof and I can see it fly by my windows…

3. Congratulations on the birth of your new baby girl!! I loved reading your story (I’m one of those that really enjoys birth stories :)). I linked to my latest story (from April) and my other 2 kids’ stories are on the same blog also–they’re labeled in the sidebar. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to share!

I’m so glad everything went well for you and hope you are all adjusting well. What a blessing that your sister was able to be there to help out so much!! Hope you will still be able to get lots of rest along with preparing to move. Take care! :)

4. I don’t have a blog right now so I didn’t link to a story. Both of my boys were born via ceasarian.

My oldest, who just turned for, stopped moving at 36 weeks. This was pretty scary! We got to the hospital and his heartbeat was strong, but they still could not get him to move. My doctor decided to induce me, but he didn’t respond well to the contractions. Finally my doctor told me that we had to do a ceasarian. I cried so hard, I really did not want to go that way! My doctor sat down with me and prayed, we went to the same church and I knew her really well. After that I felt pretty good about it. So they went ahead and did the c-section. I actually felt good during the surgury, which still suprises me to this day! He was born 8lbs 2oz and very healthy. It scares me to think of what might have happened had I not gone to the hospital when I did. He’s a healthy four year old now who keeps me quite busy!

My second son was a repeat c-section. I only got nervous about it a day before the surgury. Once I got in to the operating room I had a major panic attack. I couldn’t breathe and felt like I was dying. This continued until my son was born. As soon as I heard him I calmed down and was just fine. He was born 9lbs 9oz. He too was born very healthy. He is now a very busy 2 year old.

I am expecting my third in February. We will be scheduling another ceasarian a week or two before my due date. I wish it did not have to be done that way, but the end result of a beautiful baby is well worth the long and painful recovery. I do not have my same doctor this time because we moved to another state. I am very thankful that I had her for a doctor when I did. She was a pillar of strength for me.

5. I’m so glad to hear things went well for you. (and that you got to go on your own without the induction!)

Blessings to your whole family!

6. I loved your birth story! Congratulations on a beautiful baby girl and another positive experience. Best wishes to you in the coming days and weeks of recovery and transition for your family.

7. I loved reading your story and = everyone else’s story. A couple of them even made me cry. They were just so beautiful.

I have posted my two birth stories and added my link to your list.

Congratulations again!

8. Congratulations! :)

I left a link to our daughter’s adoption story. (It’s on our adoption blog.) My “regular” blog is http://www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com. :)

Blessings,
    Michele

9. Hopefulone says:

What fun!
    I wrote this awhile ago. Can’t wait to read everyone else’s stories.
    heres my tales of birthin:)

10. The Joys of having Boys says:

I love birth stories. I tried to link mine up I’m #13 J-Momma, but some reason it isn’t working. I don’t know what I did wrong. My blog address is http://www.thejoysofhavingboys.blogspot.com so you can still come check out my birth story!!

11. The Joys of having Boys says:

Sorry, J-Momma again I figued out what I did. #13 doesn’t work, but #14 does. Thanks.

12. I’m so glad things went so well for you. And so quickly!

13. Well, since you asked… I really wanted to go natural with my 1st, but not be "locked in" to no epidural. (This is the reason I did not go to the birthing center with the 1st.) My plan was after I knew what to expect I would use the midwife with the next one. Well, my water broke at 2 am. I called the dr. immed. though I felt fine. (Contractions were never consistent-bouncing from 3 min to 10 min.) She said come on in LATER. I tried to take a shower, get dressed, lay down. When I started rolling and moaning in the bed, my Very Smart Husband said, "We're going". Thought I was just being a wimp and that I'd get over there and have to sit around for 12 hours-so I tried to stay home as long as possible. Well, when we got to the bottom of our street, I said, "I can't do this!" (classic sign of TRANSITION). When we got there they did not triage me-they came to the elevator with a wheelchair! When they checked I was at 9 cm!!! So 3 hours after water broke-son was born. Of course, I changed my mind and was begging for an epidural-they said no-and later I was glad. With babies 2&3 (twins) I was supposed to be induced the next day (due to one twin not growing well), but caught a bug where I threw up every hour through the night. Heard a weird sound (like a sucking sound) and then my water was trickling (not gushing like the 1st labor). 5 hr labor. Did get pittosin. Have to deliver twins in the OR-its (stupid) hosp. policy. Don't rec. nat. birth with pittosin! And doing it in the OR isn't exactly "natural" either! (Envision: violent, intense pain (hope I don't scare the newbies) bright lights, LOTS of staff, cold room, tiny slab of a table…), but all's well when I got 2 babies. Girls were 3 minutes apart, boys were 11 min. With babies 4&5 (also twins) same story-5 hour labor and deliver in the OR. The difference is water did not break, but I was awakened by a sharp pain (not contraction-more like someone ramming their head out my side-and when I find out which one he's in trouble!) When the pain subsided, I started shaking and remembered doing that in other labors. That was my only real sx of labor! I forgot to say with both sets of twins I was going to the birth center until 20 wks when I had ultrasound and found out there were "2 in there" (multiples are assumed to be high-risk). At that point they have to transfer you to an M.D. So I never did get to use the midwives:(!!!
    Congratulations to you and your family! (Another fun topic would be how people choose baby names.)

14. Donna(mom24boyz) says:

I loved your warning at the top of your post….too funny. You are definately blessed with having such a short labor, but you deserve it! I agree with honey–baby names and how people come up with them would be a good topic too.
    Congrats again!

15. Mrs. Troop says:

Oh I love birth stories! Fun to read them. Hope I have time to post one.
    Babies are such amazing miracles!

16. The Taskers says:

What beautiful stories and congratulations on the arrival of your daughter! My blog is used to update our family in Australia about our lives here in the States, so rather than posting my birth stories on it and linking, I’ll just add them here.

I also had to give birth via c-section, and not by choice. I went into labour with my daughter at 2am, three days shy of my due date. We did the whole timing of contractions, long walk around the nieghbourhood, etc, etc thing and went into the hospital at 9am – I’m too much of a “need to know what’s going on” person to wait at home. (We were also living in Australia, and they have socialised healthcare there). My doctor examined me at 1pm and I was only 2cm. He gave me the choice of wait and see what happens, or let him break my waters; I chose the latter (and ever since have wondered what would have happened if I had waited). I then progressed through labour very, very slowly. I was given an epidural at 3:30pm, and in Australia it wears off and you have to ask for a “top up” each time you start to feel contractions again (about once every 90 minutes). Each time you ask for a top up the midwife has to examine you to see how you’re progressing. And wasn’t I lucky – there was a student midwife training that day so I got a double exam every 90 minutes! Augh! After two shift changes, multiple top-ups and countless internal exams, at 10:30pm the examining midwife gave me a very perplexed look (during the exam) and ran out of the room – didn’t say a word. 45 minutes later she came back in (as I was screaming at my husband to get me my top up as the epidural had completely worn off). She was calling my doctor. Turns out I was dilating asymetrically (one side was 7cm, the other was 10cm), my daughter was coming down the birth canal sideways, in addition to the fetal distress she’d been showing for a few hours due to the sentosin (same thing as pittosin – of the devil!) So, just after midnight they decided I needed an emergency c-section and then the room was abuzz, like something out of an episode of E.R. My husband was totally freaked (I was surprisingly calm) and at 1:04am our beautiful daughter, Sydney, was born. She was admitted into the neo-natal unit for several days as I was diagnosed with an infection at 9pm and there wasn’t enough time for my drip antibiotics to reach her.

It was later determined by cat-scan that my pelvis is unusually small and therefore not very workable for a natural birth. All I can say is AMEN that we were in a Western hospital with educated doctors and state-of-the art equipment.

With my second pregnancy we decided early on that we would have a c-section. I was due Dec 24 and about 3 months before then my c-section was scheduled for Dec 19. However, at 30 weeks my doc started to suspect my bub was IGUR (Inter-Uterine Growth Restriction) so I was subjected to bi-weekly ultrasounds and regular fetal heart monitoring. At 35 weeks he decided we should change the date to even earlier as John was starting to show signs of slowed growth – so we rescheduled for Dec 14. I had Braxton Hicks for weeks and weeks, sometimes soft, sometimes strong. Then one morning I was walking with my mom (she came down Dec 5 so she could stay with our daughter) and I had to stop several times. I also suspected I was leaking a small amount of fluid, including some bleeding. That same morning I was scheduled for some heart monitoring, so I went to the doctor (drove myself) and found out I was actually in labour! So I called my husband at work at 11:45am and said “we’re on, get to the hospital”. He showed up just as I was about to get the epidural put in, and at 1:31pm our son, John, was born. My mom and daughter couldn’t even come visit us yet as both our cars were at the hospital! I didn’t have my bag with me (luckily it was packed) or anything. He was only 5 pounds but 19 inches long – such a tiny little thing! He was also admitted to the neonatal unit as he couldn’t regulate his temperature.

Australia is amazing – I was in the hospital for 7 days with my daughter and 9 with my son – 95% covered by social and private healthcare. In fact, I even referred to the hospital stay with my son as “looking forward to my vacation”. It was bliss.

I don’t know if we’ll have another one – we waver back and forth each day. I can’t imagine giving birth without my amazing AUstralian doctor, so we’ll see. I’m sure God will sort it out for us!

17. Kristin@HomemakerAtHeart says:

I can’t remember how I stumbled onto your blog, but I’m glad I did.
    I posted mine a little late, but it was fun to read everyone elses

good idea!

18. Mommy Kerrie says:

this is the link to our 4th’s story. the others are under the label of attachment parenting … they are all 100 words or less!

kerrie

19. This is quite funny in that, my 3rd daughter was born just a few days after your little ones… and my birth experience is VERY similar to yours! MY doc came running in as the nurses told me not to push, and he barely got his gloves on to catch my sweet girl. It was pretty funny to see his face! (Oh, and did I mention that we'd never met this doc before? He was about to go into a c-section when the nurses called for help). All natural all the way here, too. I loved it, and it was the BEST birth experience I've had.

(And in case you are wondering, I visited this link from your 2010 Blog Goals post :D)

20. Denise C. says:

I’ve had 3 babies, my first, a boy passed away, so I’ll skip his birth story (too long and dramatic anyway!). With my second son (mine and my husband’s first), I had a doctor appt. on Tuesday 6/27/06, the doc checked me, said I was 1 cm, and they would induce me on Sunday 7/2. My husband came with and even double checked that we had heard correctly about being induced! Nesting mode was in full swing already, after the appt. though, it went into overdrive. On Thurs. 6/29/06, I woke up and felt “off”. Not in a good or bad way, just off. The only thing I could stomach and keep down during my pregnancy were cheeseburgers. I ate them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in between. (really I did!) I didn’t want one, which I think shocked my husband more than me. I went shopping for some flip flops, as my fat swollen feet did not fit into anything else. Around 2 I began having contractions, very,very, very far apart, though I’ll admit I was hopeful! By 7 p.m. I was in such discomfort, nothing helped, my husband told me to call the doctor. The main doctor that we love, was on call and she said to come in for a little look. Turns out I was in labor, our son was breech and his feet were pushing down. I was shocked that she said “in labor” because my contractions were very irregular. Right away she said he needed to come out via c-section. My husband and I went to the hospital fully thinking, they’d send me home, we live about 10 minutes away, he drove home, got the camera, told our neighbors (so they could watch after our dog), and came back. I was ready to go in the O.R.. Hubs came in dressed in medical scrubs, I gave a thumbs up to let the doctor operate. Our son was born at 11:55 p.m.. I’ll tell you, the thing that gave me the most warmest fuzzies, was when my husband held our son, there was so much love in his eyes. :)

We had our daughter 23 months later. She was a complete surprise. I thought I had the flu, went to the doctor and found out I was about 9 weeks along. (note, the generic b.c. pills I was on not only failed, but messed up my period as well.). Came home shared the news with hubs and our son. I had an extremely hard pregnancy with our daughter. I bled a lot. Had to have stress tests done because her heartbeat was low, or at one time could not be detected (she was just backwards). By 6.5 months, my OB (same doc who delivered our son) sat me down and told me due to all my issues, she may not make it full term and I needed to be prepared incase it happened. Determined to never lose another child, I went on bed rest. No driving. No stairs. No carrying grocery bags into the house. No lifting my son. Nothing. I’ll be honest, I felt bad because I was not carrying my weight around our house. Our house is my domain and I felt bad having my husband to pick up the slack. I was scheduled to have her on 5/22/08. On 5/21 I began having contractions, not regular again. Given all my issues I called the hospital. The doctor on call (a doctor we did not like one bit) told me not to come in until 5/22. So we waited, nothing more happened so at 4 a.m. on 5/22 we headed to the hospital to have our little girl. There were 2 emergency c-sections that came in, so I hung out in the room waiting to be brought down. (it felt like an eternity!). Once in the O.R. I gave another thumbs up that I was ready to rock and roll. Our daughter was born at 12:05 p.m. on 5/22. When she first came out, there was no cry. No sound whatsoever. I immediately went into full panic mode. I had a c-section and was numb from the waist down, getting up to get to her was not going to happen. I looked at my husband and had him to see what they were doing to her, she had more fluid in her mouth than what most babies have and they were just cleaning it out, she had the most softest, most beautiful cry in the world. My first words to her were “I am so happy you’re here, you scared me silly these last 9 months.”

With both kids, once I was in the recovery room, I sang happy birthday to them (good thing they had no idea I cannot carry a tune). :)

Those are my baby birth stories. :) Thanks for letting me share.