How cool is it that when I asked Lynn to guestblog this week’s recipe swap, she chose my very favorite soup?!
Jessica asked me to do a guest post for her while she is in the middle of moving to the West Coast. I love to cook and bake, so I was thrilled to be able to help her out by doing a recipe post.
I enjoy spending time in the kitchen. I find it relaxing to bake a batch of cookies or make a loaf of bread. I started cooking as a teenager when my mom went to work. I hated cooking at first. It was a chore. I did not enjoy it at all, but I learned a lot from having to do it.
When my husband and I were first married, he was in dental school. He had an incredibly busy schedule, and I hardly ever saw him. That is when I became interested in cooking and baking. It became a hobby of sorts, giving me something to do. We had to eat, so cooking gave me something to do that was also useful. Now that I have three kids, I do not have as much time to cook and bake as I would like, but I still really enjoy it. The more I bake and cook, the more I love it.
I do get bored with my cooking though, so I like to change things up. I am constantly trying new recipes and tips. I am always searching for a better version of things: a better cookie, a better lasagna, etc. For me this keeps cooking new and exciting.
One of the things that I like to do is try to duplicate restaurant recipes. If I have a really good piece of pie somewhere, I come home and try to find a recipe for it. I have been able to recreate a lot of my favorites this way, many of them just by searching the internet.
The recipe I want to share today is one of those. I love Panera Bread’s Broccoli Cheddar soup. It is really good. But, I always thought that it was expensive for what you get, and the nearest Panera is twenty five minutes from my house. I can’t exactly run out for a bowl anytime I want.
I tried several recipes online that claimed to be just like Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup. I did not think any of them were quite right. I took what I liked about each one and came up with my own version. This has become one of our favorite soups. I hope you enjoy it!
Recipe: Lynn’s version of Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 5 cups broccoli florets (if you have a little more or a little less that is fine)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk or 1/2 & 1/2 (1/2 & 1/2 does taste better but I usually use milk)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- Steam broccoli until tender, about six minutes. Chop finely. I do mine in the food processor because we like it really chopped up, and it is quicker. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine broth and milk. Slowly whisk in flour. Cook over medium to medium high heat stirring. Cook until it starts to thicken, but not too thick. I usually do it until it just starts to boil.
- Add chopped broccoli. Reduce heat to med low. Continue to cook about 5 minutes. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Serve. If using bacon, sprinkle each bowl with a little.
- This is a great way to use up broccoli that is not at its peak, but you do not want to throw it out.
Do you have a favorite soup recipe to share? We would love to hear about the soups you enjoy.
1. Write about it on your blog and bring your link back here. Don’t forget to mention LifeasMom.com, so that your readers can come back here and join the fun.
2. Share your idea in the comments section.
Lynn is a homeschooling mom who lives in Oklahoma. She has been married to Matthew for 14 years. She has three children and a great food blog, Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures.