- Life As Mom - http://lifeasmom.com -
Grocery Geek Presents: Hamming It Up
Posted By Jessica Fisher On December 27, 2008 @ 12:08 pm In Budget Living,Meal Planning | 4 Comments
Got leftovers? If you’re like me and you bought a ham at a great price ($.77/#), you may have enjoyed it for Christmas dinner and now find yourself with leftover meat. Waste not, want not.
But what to do with it all?
Sandwiches are a great way to use up the rest. But, depending on the size of your ham and how much your family likes ham sandwiches, you may be looking for some other ways to use it.
Over Christmas dinner, our family discussed, among other things, the rich flavor of ham. A little goes a long way. So the following meal ideas don’t require a lot of meat. Use your leftover ham to flavor a number of dishes over the coming days. You don’t have to prepare them now, just slice or dice the ham, wrap it well, label it, and freeze it until you are ready to use it. And don’t forget to save the bone for the next time you cook up a pot of beans or soup.
1. Diced Ham and Eggs – prepare scrambled eggs as you normally do, but stir in a handful of diced ham.
2. Ham and Spinach Quiche – combine 3 beaten eggs, 1 1/2 cups half and half, 1 cup grated cheese, 1/2 cup chopped, frozen spinach (thawed and drained), and 1 cup ham. Pour mixture into 9 inch unbaked pie shell. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees until cooked through.
3. Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup 
4. Hot Baked Cheese Dip 
5. Croque Monsieur 
6. Hawaiian Pizza  – after the first sprinkling of cheese, place a layer of diced ham and a layer of diced pineapple. Top with more cheese.
7. Cheesy Potatoes  with Ham – make the regular recipe and then stir in 1 cup diced ham before spooning mixture into baking dish.
8. There are a number of ham soup recipes here .
9. California Chicken Gumbo 
Article printed from Life As Mom: http://lifeasmom.com
URL to article: http://lifeasmom.com/2008/12/grocery-geek-presents-hamming-it-up.html
URLs in this post:
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifeasmom/oGdA
 free updates via email: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=lifeasmom/oGdA
 my free seasonal newsletter: http://eepurl.com/q47Vb
 Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup: http://www.recipezaar.com/Cheesy-Ham-and-Potato-Soup-262140
 Hot Baked Cheese Dip: http://southernfood.about.com/od/cheesedips/r/bl81220h.htm
 Croque Monsieur: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/croque-monsieur-recipe/index.html
 Pizza: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/07/tgif-make-homemade-pizza.html
 Cheesy Potatoes: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/10/cheesy-potatoes.html
 here: http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/beansoups.html
 California Chicken Gumbo: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/12/california-chicken-gumbo-for-mob.html
Copyright © 2011 Life As Mom. All rights reserved.