FishMama’s Birthday Cake Challenge

This past week I became addicted to the Food Network. You see we’ve never had cable before. In fact, I haven’t watched tv on a regular basis in over ten years. But, now we have Direct TV. For football.

But, anyway. I discovered that we get the Food Network in our feeble few channels. And oh, how fun. I can almost justify spending 30 bucks a month for football, now. Sunday we watched a cake decorating competition which was pretty entertaining since the contestants didn’t know the theme of the cake until the night before the competition. They made some pretty elaborate creations even under pressure, including a 3-dimensional matador!

I like to think that I can make a cake for any theme. My kids have challenged me with some pretty tricky birthday party themes over the years. I pride myself on being up for the challenge. Unfortunately, Food Network hasn’t been calling me to compete.

No worries. I’ve got you.

In honor of the birthday cake roundup and a new project I’m working on, I thought I would toss it out to you – give me a theme. Any theme and I’ll see if I can do it.

Post your theme suggestion in the comments and next week I’ll post a survey in the sidebar for you all to vote on. I’m excited to see what you come up with.

Updated: Nominations are over. Vote in the sidebar!

Comments

1. What's Cooking says:

I made a scrapbook themed cake once for a baby shower and I have to admit of the many cakes I’ve made, this was the most fun. I’d love to see your take on a scrapbook cake and I know you could do something really creative that tied in your whole family. =0) I challenge you to a scrapbook cake!

Want to see pictures of my scrapbook cake…go here http://whatscooking4us.blogspot.com/2008/03/some-of-my-cakes.html

2. Love your cakes, WC! Be sure to bring the link on the 29th.

Scrapbook would definitely be challenging. Whoa.

3. I would love for you to do something along the Star Wars line, or something “Springy”. My 5 yr. old son wants a Star Wars party (go figure). And my girls are sharing a party (they will be 1 and 3) the day before Easter. So we are doing the egg hunt and bunnies stuff then to keep Christ the center of Easter Sunday. I have no idea where to start on either of these cakes! Oh and since you started this whole party thing…any ideas for making a Star War’s themed pinata??

4. Zimms Zoo says:

How about a sewing/homemaker party cake? My 10 yo is into sewing and homemaker type stuff. Thought about running with that theme this year.

5. JessieLeigh says:

My son will be 4 later this month and we’re having a “brunch party” to celebrate. He recently told me he thought it’d be funny if his cake looked like a breakfast platter– complete with pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon. So that would be my challenge for you.. because, while I think he’s clever, I’m a bit at a loss!

(BTW, I think this is a really fun idea!)

6. Great ideas, everybody. I’m kinda scared how the vote will go.

I’m still not sure on the scrapbook thing, but I’ve got ideas on the homemaker thing.

Jessie Leigh, I’ve got you covered. Already have ideas on breakfast.

Mrs. S, go here: http://www.lifeasmom.com/search/label/Cakes

There are both Star Wars and Spring like cakes in one of my cake posts here. Also, when we had our Star Wars party, we made a Death Star pinata, probably the easiest to make in the galaxy. Make a round pinata and paint it grey.

I guess next month’s roundup will have to be pinatas!

7. Love the Food Network! They have a great variety of shows. Have you seen Ace of Cakes? That is some serious cake decorating!

8. Mrs. Pear says:

Our oldest daughter will be 4 in May (how did that happen?) and she is a HUGE Fancy Nancy Fan! So I will be planning a birthday party around this series of children’s books.

And I would love to see what you would come up with for a cake! (so I can shamelessly borrow it of course!)

9. Janell, no, I haven’t seen it. I can only justify sitting down to watch when it’s time to feed the baby. LOL.

Mrs. Pear, I don’t even know what Fancy Nancy is!! I’ll have to google her.

10. Mrs. Pear says:

Fishmama, I would not worry, with girls you will soon know ALL About her – she is by Jane O’Connor, and she likes all things tres fancy.

11. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home says:

Great looking cake!

12. I’m just not sure what my request will be yet. I want to see if I can brainstorm what the likely themes will be at my house next year. I want a good challenge though – something that will help me plan my next cake.

We do theme related birthday invites and accessories as well. I might have to extend my cake post to include those ideas.

I have so much fun pulling together a themed party for the kids.

13. Mrs. S – Your comment made me think of this post:
    http://www.makeandtakes.com/star-wars-birthday-party-ideas – it is about a Star Wars birthday party for a young boy, and she makes a Death Star Pinata out of a soccer ball one. I thought that was a great idea.

My daughter is turning 4 next week, and we are having our third Ariel, The Little Mermaid party. (I thought kids went through stages? She’s been stuck on this forever.) I’ve never tried to decorate my own cake. Any mermaid ideas?

Trackbacks

1. [...] Nancy and Breakfast!? These two themes were suggested by readers during FishMama’s Birthday Cake Challenge. They were chosen as the top two in a readers’ poll a week [...]

2. [...] too long ago, I asked readers to challenge me with a birthday cake theme. There were some very clever suggestions, the top two in a [...]