1. Pay cash. If I go out with a predetermined amount of real, green money, I have a natural limit to what I can buy. I’ll be more careful about what I put in my cart.
2. Limit the stores I go to. This has been a tough one. Moving to Southern California has opened a wealth of possible places to shop: Longs, Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Henry’s, Sprouts, Costco, Sam’s Club, Walmart, Target, Vons, Albertsons, Ralphs, and on and on and on. I’m trying to limit myself to just a few stores and trying not to go there more than once every couple weeks. Stocking up in order to shop less is my new mode.
I mention these things as a reminder to you: It’s Not a Race! Do what you need to do with these deals in order to best serve your family.
— Be sure to print out coupons from my coupon bar. At the beginning of each month, some new coupons are inserted, so check them out now and keep your eyes peeled for deals. Available coupons include cereal, yogurt, juice, magazines, movies, and Macaroni Grill dinner kits.
— If you want to know what coupons will be in tomorrow’s paper (and there’s supposed to be a lot) check The Taylortown Preview.
— Some CVS highlights:
See my January CVS primer for how you can get some great deals on toiletries.
* Children’s Throat Cooler Ice Pops $4.99 – $4.99 ECBs = free (limit 2), print this B1G1 free coupon to maximize your savings potential.
* Colgate toothpaste and toothbrushes 2/$5 – $2 ECBs = 2/$3 (coupons in tomorrow’s paper for these items)
* Fructis shampoo, conditioner,and styler $2.99 – $2 ECBs = $.99 (limit 1)
* ALL detergent (B1@$7.49, get 1 free) = 3.75 each, clip coupons from my coupons.com bar and get an extra $.40 off each one, making them $3.35 each.
* Lots of Johnsons and Johnsons products on sale, Buy $20, get $10 ECBs
— Check out the Christmas Clearance. But, remember, don’t go overboard. Think outside the box. Solid colored wrapping paper can be used all-year round. Red paper goods can be repurposed at Valentines. Leftover candy canes make great Valentine’s packages of Peppermint Milk.
— Don’t forget to sign up for my free milk giveaway.