TGIF: 7 Great Kid Flicks

There is a wealth of great family-friendly movies out there. Here are seven that have been favorites.

source: Disney Pixar

We love movies around here. Since the bulk of our parenting years were lived without cable television, or any television for that matter, we’ve come to rely on movies as our go-to form of entertainment. Since we’d have to get a second mortgage in order to take SIX kids to the cinema, videos at home have been the way we roll around here.

We try to watch movies that attract the attention of our broad range of interests and ages. This is not always possible, but that is the goal. We like to make it a family event, complete with popcorn.

Some of our favorites include but are not limited to:

Swiss Family Robinson is one of our children’s favorites. A classic Disney film, it captures that adventurous spirit that lies in each of us. It is an adaptation of the book by Johann David Wyss. While it doesn’t include every detail of the novel, it does a great job of capturing the essence of their adventures. Personally, I would love a tree house like theirs.

Another classic is, of course, the Star Wars trilogy. Our boys have seen all the films over and over. Everyone has his own favorite, though the FishParents prefer Episode 4 because it is the original. I was five when I first saw it. It’s amazing to me that my kids are now such fans. Who knew it would become so iconic?

Akuna Matata! I have distinct memories of driving cross country with three children and a dog on our move to Kansas City. The boys loved this movie and played it several times a day – for the five days it took us to get from CA to KC with small children. I’ve almost fully recovered. And The Lion King has a special place in our hearts to this day.

Love Chicken Little! The soundtrack is fun, the plot intriguing, the characters lovable. There are enough jokes to appeal to adults and teenagers and great slapstick to keep a younger kid’s attention. We own the DVD and have enjoyed watching it multiple times.

I was really skeptical about this movie the first time we saw it. I’m not sure why. But, it’s a keeper. Again, it’s another movie that has enough physical comedy to appeal to the kiddos, but enough brilliant humor to, well, humor the parents. And again, another fun soundtrack. Hoodwinked was a low-budget film that went on to great things. Do not watch the sequel. It is horrible.

These last two were directed by my favorite guy at Pixar, Brad Bird. He’s hilarious. And so are his films. The Incredibles was probably the first of the more recent CGA movies that we were just flabbergasted by. Definitely took “cartoons” to a whole new level. This is the film where FishPapa got his nickname for me, Super Ultra Lightening Babe. I like the sound of that.

What kind of foodie MOM would I be if Ratatouille wasn’t on my list. Love this movie! And while we don’t own movie-related paraphernalia for other flicks, we do have Ratatouille video games, readers, and cookbook for kids! Remy rocks, that is for sure. The animation is absolutely fantastic; takes me back to our times in Paris and when I lived in France. Just wish the food was real!

How about you? What are some of your favorite family films?

Comments

1. Great list! My kids are just starting to get old enough for these kinds of movies. Fun, fun!

2. The 3D Momma says:

We’ve been watching “The Apple Dumpling Gang” and all of the “Herbie” movies here. We love the ole’ classic movies.

3. CountryMama@The Cozy Country Home says:

Favorites these days:
    Family: Horton Hears a Who

3 year old son: Old Tom and Jerry episodes…I remember most of them from when I was little!

6 year old daughter: American Girl Movies (Samantha is her absolute favorite!)

4. We have been getting some of the movies that were really big back when we were kids. I found Chipmunks Adventure (my alltime favorite movie to this day) as well as Treasure of the lost lamp (its an old ducktales movie) Both of these I found on ebay for around $10 each and we have watched each one probably 30 or more times since I bought them. We love watching our old favorites with our kids. It brings back such great memories for me.

Sometimes we let our 3 year old boy stay up a little later with us by himself and pull our big queen size mattress downstairs and watch a movie together or we build a fort for him and watch the movie in the fort. It is a great way to have a little slumber party and make watching a movie a little more fun for the kids.

Thanks for the movie suggestions. I will have to try out hoodwinked.

Erin
    iamfrugal.blogspot.com

5. Raggedy Girl says:

I have tried several times to watch Ratatouille and keep getting interrupted. One of my favorite is Mouse Hunt and Matilda.
    Roberta Anne

6. Our four kiddos (7,6,6,2) love movie nights. We try to do one each friday night-last night we watched Tarzan. We love the Pixar movies! The kids just reported that their favorite movies are Star Wars (includes all), Pete’s Dragon, and Hollie Hobby (the new version of my old favorite). We will add Hoodwinked to our queue at Netflix and check it out. Thanks!

Aimee
    journalofamomma.blogspot.com

7. Zimms Zoo says:

Cars is one of our favorites too. Also Night in the Musuem. Star Wars is one of the kids favorites, but I can’t stand it so they have to watch it without me.

They all love any superhero movies, because their dad is a big fan.

8. JessieLeigh says:

My kids are still pretty little so we don’t do a lot of movies… But we recently picked up Tinkerbell and found that to be a really cute film! (And there are no villains… I have a thing about villains with my little ones. One of my more overprotective traits… :))

This is a great list and one I’ll definitely look back on especially in a couple years!

9. We have pretty much every Pixar movie, or have rented them numerous times. We are also big Narnia fans. We don’t take our kids to the show either. It is so pricey! We played “movie theater” the other night and it was a HUGE hit with the kids. I very quickly and easily made tickets on the computer. We made a price sheet and had our kindergartener pay his own way with pennies. (MATH!!). We popped popcorn, made lemonade, and had ice cream. All of which had to be “purchased”. I sat at the enterance to the living room w/ the kids toy cash register and they paid for the tickets and food items. Then hubs ushered them into the living room, which we loaded w/ blankets and pillows. He even tore their tickets in half, and told them to turn off their cell phones (Which our son pretended to do!). Turn the lights off, watch the preview and bring in the snacks! Oh, and I had popcorn boxes left over from a bday party, so we put their popcorn in those. They loved that! I saw the same boxes in the dollar spot at Target this week…going to grab more for future “movie theater nights”! Added bonus: you can go to the show in your pj’s, and hit pause for potty breaks!

10. topaztook says:

We like “Madagascar” (it’s not only fun to watch, it’s fun to listen to my 2.5-year-old try to say it). We’ve also recently been watching a collection of shorts of the Wallace and Gromit British animated-clay duo, as well as the “Shaun the Sheep” collection from the same people.