Budget Living: Find Frugal Friends

There’s something to be said about the old saying, “Be careful who you hang out with.” You know, your parents probably said something about that when you were a teenager.

Our friends and our surroundings influence us — for better or for worse.

If we’re not firmly grounded in our convictions, we can be easily swayed to a different point of view. And when we are rock solid in our opinions and goals, it helps to have people around us who will encourage us and help us problem solve. And how your friends think about money could affect how you think and act about money.

** If my friends in high school hadn’t been good sports about my hot wheels, it might have been harder for me to drive The Boat hither and yon.

** If my buddy Jessika didn’t understand what it was to pinch a penny, then breakfast in our room at the Mother’s conference might not have been an option.

** If my husband wasn’t on the same page as regards money and debt-free living, it would be tough to navigate these frugal waters.

It pays to have a few people in your life to encourage you and help you to cut back on expenses and save money.

One person who has blessed me beyond belief in this area is Crystal Paine, aka Money Saving Mom. Last February I discovered her blogs while I was researching how to do coupons and this wild CVS thing. It was great to get breaking news on sales and coupons. I felt encouraged and equipped to save money. I participated in Frugal Friday and Super Savings Saturday carnivals where folks regularly share ways to save money or good deals they’ve caught. Through blogs and comments Crystal and I “got to know” each other.

And since we lived in the same city, it enabled us to one day have lunch together at Panera. And so began a beautiful friendship.

Url became irl (in real life) as we met for playdays, had dinners together, took our kids to the petting zoo, held a joint garage sale, swapped babysitting, and had Saturday mornings off together. FishPapa and I were immediately struck by how mature both Jesse and Crystal were. (Truth be told, we were first embarassed that “these kids” had it more together than we did.)

But, they knew our convictions to get out of debt and stay that way. They understood our Dave Ramsey/Baby Step/Debt Snowball language. They didn’t raise an eyebrow when we ordered water instead of pop at restaurants. And the guys laughed together when Crystal and I talked shop: CVS, ECB, OOP, and XYZ. They understood and they encouraged. And how blessed we were!

If you’ve read Crystal’s blogs, you will know that she is wise beyond her years. She is realistic, funny, creative, and energetic. She has a passion for helping people be wise with their money. And though we now live 2000 miles apart, we’re looking forward to a Panera reunion sometime soon.

And if you’ve read Crystal’s blog tonight, you know that she is passing the baton to me, so to speak. Frugal Fridays will now be hosted here, at LifeasMOM. I am honored that she would entrust me with the care of this great meeting of the minds.

I hope that you’ll participate and share your ideas with others. More importantly, I hope that you will find encouragement and inspiration to stretch your hard-earned dollars just a little farther.

Having frugal friends is important to your budget and to your morale. And the friendship itself is a valuable thing that even money can’t buy.

For more ideas on pinching a penny, visit Frugal Friday.

Comments

1. Awesome! So glad it’s going to someone already in my Google Reader. LOL

2. Stephanie says:

When she announced that she was passing it on, you immediately came to mind. And I can’t think of anyone better to handle it! Congratulations and I am excited to see how you put a spin on things with Frugal Friday!

3. How blessed you are to have frugal friends!

Looking forward to posting here for Frugal Fridays!

4. Jennifer V says:

Hmm. My comment disappeared I think. In a nut shell: congrats on FF, Looking forward to joining URS and exploring your site :)

5. Congrats on catching the baton! You must be elated… what an honor :) Looking forward to getting to know you & participating in your FF.

6. Mary Ann says:

Great post! Look forward to joining you here for FF in the weeks to come.

7. Your Frugal Friend, Niki says:

Awesome post..I couldn’t agree more!

8. I’ve stopped by Frugal Fridays often and learned lots, but never participated. Looking forward to more great Fridays and offering my “2 cents worth links” in weeks to come. :) :)

9. Yay!! :)

10. Brianna @ Heart(h) Management says:

I’m looking forward to joining you here in coming weeks. I love Frugal Friday and I’m so glad Crystal decided to pass it on instead of shutting it down altogether.

I heartily agree about frugal friendships. Most of my frugal support comes from online relationships, but that accountabilty and sharing of information is invaluable to me in helping me be a better steward of the resources god has given me.

11. Congrats my friend! I’m so happy to know I’ll be able to find FF.

12. Tara aka "Mama Koala" says:

You are definitely the right choice! Thanks for continuing this great tool for all of us!

13. Congratulations! I’m new to this meme, and I’m enjoying so much all the tips on one of my passions–frugalness. There’s so much to learn and apply (what good is it to learn something if we don’t apply it, right?)
    I look forward to participating!
    God bless.

14. Yay! How exciting for you (and for the rest of us) to have Frugal Friday’s here!

15. It is great to have frugal friends! :D Look forward to seeing what you have in store for Frugal Fridays!! :D

16. Vanessa says:

I’m so glad Frugal Friday will still have a home. It was one of the reasons that I started my own blog. Thanks for taking this on.

17. I’m excited that you’re hosting the discussion!

18. FishMama says:

Thanks for your encouragement, everyone. I know it won’t be the same w/o MSM, but I will do my best. ;)

19. CountryMama@The Cozy Country Home says:

Yay Jessica!! How exciting! Did you think you could get any “busier”??!!

20. Katie @ goodLife {eats} says:

Congratulations! I enjoy your frugal posts and the URS very much. :)

21. heidi @ ggip says:

Congratulations on getting the Frugal Fridays gig! I didn’t participate this week, but it is a favorite meme.

22. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home says:

Nice post. And good point too, so true!