Boules de Picolat, Catalan Meatballs

Boules de Picolat, also known as Catalan Meatballs, are one of my favorite foods. They are easy to make and super freezer-friendly.

Boules de Picolat, Catalan Meatballs | Recipe from Life as Mom

There’s no question that not having to cook dinner is a good thing – any night of the week. And while take-out or eating out are certainly fun prospects, they’re not always doable. And that’s where pulling an entree out of the freezer – a homemade dinner – is just the ticket.

I’ve leaned on freezer-friendly recipes a lot over the years, even compiling some of my favorites into my cookbook, Not Your Mother’s Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook. It’s just the ticket to having home cooked dinners at the ready. (<– That’s an affiliate link. Thanks for your support!)

One of our favorite freezer-friendly recipes is a dish I first had when I lived in France. My “French mom,” Michele, was Catalan. She made this traditional dish, Boules de Picolat, for me on my 21st birthday. She never gave me her recipe, so I had to approximate my own Boules de Picolat recipe from a Catalan cookbook I have.

michele 1993

Michele, preparing Boules de Picolat for my birthday feast, 1993.

There is great debate amongst Catalan families whether to serve this with potatoes or rice. The Family Durieux serves Boules de Picolat with boiled potatoes, so we do, too.

I love the unique touch of dried porcini mushrooms (when I can find them) and green olives. Yum!

Tools I use for this recipe:

Got a great make-ahead recipe that freezes well? Share it with us!

This post contains one or more Amazon affiliate links. When you make a purchase through those links, I am paid a small amount in advertising fees. Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it.

1. The Sensible Momma says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog! These meatballs sound so good! Once I get more room in my freezer, I’ll have to try them (and I bet there will be more I’ll want to try, too!).

Thanks for hosting this! I love to try new recipes.

2. Brianna @ Heart(h) Management says:

Hmmm, that looks yummy! I’m getting ready for a new baby in a couple months (number three!), and this might make my list of make aheads. Thanks, FishMama!

3. Katie @ goodLife {eats} says:

Those meatballs sound yummy! I added a recipe for chicken pot pie with a buttermilk biscuit crust.

4. money-savingmommy says:

this is an awesome idea. I love your blog. Check out mine. I left you a surprise.

5. Oh that sounds really good. I love the picture of Michele. A good memory to go along with a good recipe…that’s a good combination. :)

6. Christian Frugal Mama says:

What a timely Recipe topic! I am working on getting recipes for stocking my freezer for after my new baby comes in June.

7. Hoosier Homemade says:

That sounds great! I didn’t link up today because I don’t really have any great recipes for the freezer. I need to get some though, thanks for sharing!

8. annkroeker says:

Oh! I LOVE boules! I’ve had them when visiting Belgian relatives, and they are soooo delicious. Now I can try your recipe–thanks for taking time to post. Love the photo, too.

9. These look great! I too am always looking for great recipes that freeze well. Thanks for the topic for this week. Can’t wait to try all the yummy looking recipes shared.

10. Ooh. Can't wait to try this. My husband was raised in Catalunya, so this will be a great surprise.

11. Kirsten Smith says:

I'm salivating as I sit here typing. Unfortunately, no one else in my family will eat green olives OR mushrooms. Looks like I'll have to invite some girl friends over for an adventure in cooking! I can't wait…really…yum!