- Life As Mom - http://lifeasmom.com -
50 Ways to Streamline Your Life, Part Two
Posted By Jessica Fisher On April 11, 2009 @ 7:23 pm In Parenting and Family,Time for Mom,Time Management | 6 Comments
Go here  for the beginning of this series on ways to develop systems and routines that help you be more efficient and effective in your Life as MOM.
8. Spend time regularly to plan menus  for your family’s meals. Whether you plan a few days, a week , or a month at a time , menu planning can save you a lot of time, money, and headache. Start with a list of meals your family likes  and the ingredients you need to keep on hand. Having a plan helps you shop and cook more efficiently. Plus, it helps you avoid last minutes trips through the Golden Arches. Check out Menu Planning Mondays  for inspiration.
9. Read good books about cleaning , housekeeping , organizing , and making your house a home . Take note of whatever you can apply to your life and home. Not everything will work for you. But, find your own groove .
10. When running errands, take a few minutes to map out your route. Try to mark your course in a circuit that avoids back tracking. Doing so will save you time and gas. If picking up cold groceries are part of the plan, bring a cooler with ice packs along.
11. Avoid huge piles of wet towels and dirty cups. Color code  your children’s belongings in order to keep track of whose is whose. Assign a color to each child and apply it to cups, towels, laundry baskets, even clothing. However it works to make things simpler at your home.
12. Quit wasting time crunching numbers with pen and pencil. Use a computer software program to balance your budget and reconcile your checkbook. What used to take me an hour, now takes me ten minutes with Quicken .
13. Organize your bookkeeping. Consolidate all your account numbers and passwords in one place . Develop a central filing system or notebook to keep track of bills to be paid and account statements.
14. Prepare packing lists  for different activities so that you always have what you need. Continually forgetting all the gear that needs to go to baseball practice? Find yourself at the beach or pool without sunscreen? Are impromptu picnics an impossibility due to lack of gear? Think through the activities that your family enjoys and create lists to reference when it’s time to load up. Better yet, pack the bags now and have them ready to go .
15. Clean as you go so that you don’t have to bring out the sandblaster  to clean up your messes. Daily maintenance takes a lot less time and elbow grease than letting it build up.
16-50. To be continued here ….
Got a great trick for streamlining your life? Share it with us!
Article printed from Life As Mom: http://lifeasmom.com
URL to article: http://lifeasmom.com/2009/04/50-ways-to-streamline-your-life-part-2.html
URLs in this post:
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifeasmom/oGdA
 free updates via email: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=lifeasmom/oGdA
 my free seasonal newsletter: http://eepurl.com/q47Vb
 Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_89L9ZoBsR08/SeAidTYOymI/AAAAAAAAETk/ATN5nCzAh4s/s1600-h/j0438870.jpg
 here: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/04/time-for-mom-50-ways-to-streamline-your.html
 to plan menus: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/03/how-to-plan-meal.html
 a week: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/02/meal-planning-organizing-your-menus-and-groceries-together.html/menus-grocery-list
 a month at a time: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/03/my-household-planner-revealed-a-few-free-downloads.html/monthly-meal-plan
 a list of meals your family likes: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/03/my-household-planner-revealed-a-few-free-downloads.html/meals-we-like
 Menu Planning Mondays: http://orgjunkie.com/category/menu-plan-monday
 cleaning: http://astore.amazon.com/lifeasmom-20/detail/0440503744
 housekeeping: http://astore.amazon.com/lifeasmom-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=1
 organizing: http://astore.amazon.com/lifeasmom-20/detail/0756613612
 making your house a home: http://astore.amazon.com/lifeasmom-20/detail/0842313982
 find your own groove: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/05/finding-your-groove.html
 Color code: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/01/rainbow-of-children.html
 with Quicken: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/09/toolin-up-tuesday-quicken.html
 account numbers and passwords in one place: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/01/better-bookkeeping-it-works-for-me.html
 packing lists: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/06/be-prepared-day-trip-checklist.html
 pack the bags now and have them ready to go: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/04/have-bag-will-travel-or-go-to-the-beach-or-the-park-or-on-a-picnic.html
 bring out the sandblaster: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/03/good-friends-and-grime.html
 here: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/04/50-ways-to-streamline-your-life-part_18.html
Copyright © 2011 Life As Mom. All rights reserved.