Gramma John’s Pie Crust

This recipe is so easy, it’s not even funny. And it’s a great recipe for kids to try. My two preschoolers loved this when we made pies this week.

(You can smooth out the crust after letting them have a go at it. It’s what Gramma John always did.)

Comments

1. Nancy M. says:

Wow! That does sound easy!

2. srlsfamily says:

that seems so easy. have you ever made it with whole wheat flour?

3. I’ve been looking for an easy pie crust. Guess I’ll look no further. :)

4. Phoebe @ Cents to Get Debt Free says:

I love my grandma’s pie crust recipe–it is similiar. So incredibly easy, and can tastes great made with whole wheat instead! Got to love that!

5. Emily @ Little Home says:

I love that this doesn’t use Crisco! I am bookmarking it for later! Thanks!

6. Love the picture. He looks so happy with his accomplishment! I am terrible at pie crusts, but I may try this one, it looks so easy.

7. I am loving all your recipe/baking posts. I concur with the previous comment–gives me courage to try stuff when the recipe looks doable and the picture inspiring. :)

8. How precious is he?

9. I just found your blog, and I like it!

I have a question — should the butter be cold out of the fridge or room temperature? Does it matter?

10. I'm enjoying your blog… thank you!!
    Answer to Christy's question is:
    Yes, the butter should be cold out of the fridge. Room temp might seem easier, but it doesn't really work.
    Today I'm making meatloaf and will make squash baked with homemade apple pie filling. (pie with acorn squash as the crust)

11. Probably a dumb question, but is the flour all-purpose?

12. Quick question does this make a good top crust as well?

13. Hi Jessica! Made two of your slab apple pies with this crust last week….sooo good. A keeper recipe for sure. You are right…so easy! Thank you for sharing.

14. Betsy Cherepko says:

I have never had great success with pie crusts, but today I made your apple pie with this crust and my-oh-my…I could not get enough of this crust! It is so flaky, buttery, and simple! My 4 year old loved pressing this out into the pie pan. I will never roll another crust…if I can avoid it. Oh and the apple recipe was delicious too!

15. Katherine Telch (aka) Katy says:

Thank you for the ray of sunshine in my life on this grey Monday weather wise here in the NW. I so enjoy your daily posts every day and today it’s even more sweet as I was filing some of the saves and putting them in the proper folders…pie crust is not my favorite but Gramma John’s looks doable to me…the special part is the picture of your smiling son’s face presenting his pie crust! Thank you, thank you!

16. I made this crust today for a blackberry pie, and I will never use another recipe! So light and flaky and delicious! I took my chances and patted out a top crust on some parchment paper, and it worked pretty well. Thank you for sharing this recipe!