If You Give a Mom a Good Deal

If you give a mom a good deal on avocados,
it will make her think of guacamole.
And if she thinks of guacamole,
she’s going to want to make some.
Wanting to make some will remind her that she’s out of chips.
The best place to buy chips is the store down the road.
So she will load up all the kids
and head to the store for some.

While she’s at the store, she’ll buy some milk
because they are out of it.
As she puts the milk in the cart,
she’ll spy a really good deal on strawberries and grapes.

And potatoes.
And bell peppers.
So she’ll buy some.
And as she heads for the check-out,
she’ll see the clearance bakery cart.
And because she knows how great the deals are on the bakery cart
and because she was going to bake bread for a company dinner anyway,
she stops to look.
Everything there still has several days to go,
and it all looks great,
and it’s sourdough which is a hassle to bake herself,
so she’ll buy a loaf
or two
or five.
And some bagels. And some rolls.

And if she buys all these good deals,
her bill will be a little bigger than she thought it would be.
And she’ll realize that she kinda cheated on her “Eat-from-the-Pantry” Challenge.
But that’s okay –
because she got some really good deals.

Comments

1. Mrs. Querido says:

LOL! Even better than “If You Give A Mouse A Cookie” :)

2. This was refreshing after reading the cookie version to my daughter 65 times!

3. Love this post! Sounds like some of my trips to the grocery store!

4. ValleyGirl says:

Haha, I LOVE it!! All too familiar….

5. thehorizontalyoyo says:

I bet there’s not a reader out there who can’t identify with that one!

6. Only Daughter says:

Made we wish this pig had a pancake LOL. I had a great grocery store run like that last Sat. Which also reminds I either need to cook my peppers or get them in the freezer! Cute post. Love your blog.

7. Good for you! Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one out there who can’t pass up a good deal and has a hard time sticking to the budget. :)

8. That was great! Even better than the book ;)

9. haha! that’s so me! i’ll run to the store for 1 item and leave with bags full of “good deals”.

10. Cute post! Love those books. I’d love to get some avocados for $0.33!! They were $1.50 each in my local store today…and that was the sale price!

11. So how much did those avocados end up costing you after the trip to the grocery store they inspired?? ;)

12. Cute Post!

13. Love it!! (and I love the new design!)

14. HAHA! That was great! Sounds almost exactly like me sometimes. :)

15. It sounds like you got some great deals, Fishmama! :)

16. you have so succinctly described how i consistently manage to go over my grocery budget. i do not have a shoe problem, or a clothes problem, my problem is food. i spend entirely too much money on food. the only way i can reign that in is to take the kids with me (not as much time to bargain hunt, or get distracted with fantasies of how many great meals i can think of that would perfectly use kalmata olvies-when they’re bickering in the cart) and limit myself to one trip a week! hilarious. love the new look!

17. Very nicely done. I have been aware that I clean “Give A Mouse A Cookie”-style; however, reading this post revealed to me that my grocery shopping quite often follows that pattern, too!

18. Cinda Nethercott aka Mom says:

I love it and how true it is!

19. JessieLeigh says:

Just another example of why I cannot stay away from your blog. You make me laugh and hit the nail on the head all at the same time. Thanks for such a great post!!!

20. Iva sent me over…this is hilarious!

21. Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

Cute! That’s my kind of real life story!