Pizza (or Calzone) Dough

I’ve been experimenting with this dough recipe over the past few months. It seems to be working well for us. Depending on how well I work it, it can make up to six large, thin-crust pizzas. Often it turns out to be six medium to individual. If you really want large size pizzas, I’d say you’ll get three regular crust pies out of this.

I’m not sure how many Calzones I can get out of it. That is an experiment for this week. We’re making the dough today and will freeze it in individual balls in a tupperware-type container.

My bread machine does the mixing since I’m a total loser when it comes to making dough any other way.

Pizza or Calzone Dough
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup olive oil
4 1/2 cups bread flour (can substitute some whole wheat flour)
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon yeast

Place ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer’s directions. Different makers dictate different order of ingredients. My machine says to add liquids first, then dry ingredients, then flour in a little well. I omit the little well part and it works out just fine.

Make sure to scrape down the sides while it’s mixing. Add a little flour if too wet, a little water if too dry.

At the end of the dough cycle, remove from pan to lightly floured or oiled surface. Divide into six equal portions. Place in an oiled 9×13-inch pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (The cold rising gives the dough great texture, nice and chewy.)

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

I have a similar recipe, the only differences are 6 cups flour, 2 cups water and 2 Tbsp. yeast. I also add in 2 Tbsp of minced garlic. I get probably 7 calzones.

My two oldest are 11 and 13 though and make their calzones pretty large. The 3 younger make theirs a little smaller. Needless to say, I make one batch and while we are making and baking those, we start another :0) They are great on-the-run to soccer food! Janet

2. Tracy G. says:

I also have a similar recipe, but we add the “pizza spices” right in with the dough (italian seasoning/oregano, onion salt, garlic). Yum! I still haven’t tried it with the bread machine, though. I’ll have to try it.

3. I’m just starting to use my bread machine and actually make from scratch, so please forgive my silly question… but, at what point are you safe to freeze the pizza/ calazone dough?

Thanks for the great site and tips!

foursillysisters at gmail dot com

4. FishMama says:

Spices in the dough sounds great.

MaryBeth, I don’t have a ton of experience with freezing it. I froze it as soon as I formed the individual balls.

5. Nicci Gustavus says:

I am new to freezing things for future use, so bear with me. Do I want to freeze it in a ball or roll it out?

Thanks for helping me out!

6. FishMama says:

Nicci, I froze them in balls.

7. Julie @KingdomKlipper says:

Thanks so much..I can’t wait to try.
    Julie @Kingdomklipper

8. Loved this crust! We tried it for dinner tonight and it’s definately our new go-to pizza crust.

I divided it into four pieces(freezng three). We’ll be using another piece next week for calzones — can’t wait to try them!

9. This looks like a great recipe! Silly question for you: how long do you bake the calzones and at what temp? Thanks!

10. FishMama says:

Not silly, Carly. I baked them at 425 for 20-25 minutes.

11. This is all new to me, but I love the idea! I’ve read the comments about freezing, but I have a beginner’s question: Do you freeze it before or after the cold rising in the fridge?

12. Can I use self rising flour and skip the rising time and the sugar, oil, and salt?

13. leigh ann says:

I used this recipe to make smaller hot pocket sized calzones. For breakfast I stuffed some with sausage, egg, and cheese. Then for lunch or dinner I did some ham and cheese and some pizza filling. I just froze them and then threw them in the oven when we were ready for them!

14. Thank you so much I have been trying to find a calzone dough that didn’t have to use milk powder, who the heck has that on hand … lol. You made my dinner recipe easy :).

15. Amanda Carter says:

What kind of bread machine do you have? Thanks!

16. I have the same question as above.. Do you let them rise overnight and then freeze or omit that step to freeze… Thanks!!

I’ve had more freezer experience since this post was originally written. Typically, I just let the dough rise for 30 minutes the first time. Then I form dough balls and place them in sandwich bags inside a larger freezer bag. Freeze immediately. Then as they thaw, they will do that extra rising time.

17. Jessica,
    I am looking to purchase my first brand new bread machine ( I purchased a used panasonic at a thrift store and it did not work). Do you have any recommendations?

18. I just made this crust, to rave reviews! I inadvertently left out 1/4 cup of olive oil – 1/4 cup was plenty (for those wanting to cut calories or cost.)