Pretzels

The boys and I had a great time making these for breakfast a few weeks ago. I made the dough in my bread machine very early in the morning. It took about 1 1/2 hours until the dough was ready to be formed. Once they were baked, we brushed them with melted butter and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar. Yum!

1/2 cup water
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 packet dry yeast
4 cups bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt

8 cups water
4 Tablespoons baking soda

Egg wash: 1 egg white, beaten with 1 Tablespoon water
About 2 Tablespoons coarse salt

Place water, milk, brown sugar, yeast, flour and salt in bread pan in the order recommended by the machine manufacturer. Set machine for dough cycle and start the machine.

Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

On a lightly oiled work surface, divide dough into 12 equal pieces. With your palms, roll each piece into a long rope, about 20 inches. Shape into pretzel shape by curving each end toward the center and overlapping them. Secure each end by pressing firmly.

Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan or roasting pan. Stir in baking soda. Place each pretzel, one at a time, in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large flat spatula and place on baking sheet. Brush each one with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments

1. UnfinishedMom says:

Oooo. These look goood! I’ve always wanted to try making pretzels with my kids. I think you’ve inspired me. I might actually make them this week – while they’re off for Spring Break.

2. Jennifer says:

These sound fabulous! I have a quick question about the dough though. I’ve never done dough for anything in my bread machine. When you say “It took about 1 1/2 hours until the dough was ready to be formed” does that mean that’s how long it takes inside the machine? Or does it have to sit after the machine has done its part? I want to try these, but I want to make sure that I’m doing it right! :) Thanks!

3. Snow White says:

I had not thought of putting cinnamon and sugar on them … we like ours with sea salt! what a fun idea – especially with the history of monks that you talked about above.

4. FishMama says:

Jennifer, 90 minutes is the dough cycle on my bread machine. Once it beeped, we formed the pretzels. However, with 6 of us eating, they lasted all of 90 seconds!

5. Heather says:

These look very yummy. :)

6. Anonymous says:

Can U use rice milk instead of cows milk? My youngest has a dairy allergy and this would be fun to make. Kim in TN.

7. Jennifer says:

These sound so good. We got some store bought pretzels when we were out last month and they were awful. I can still taste them, yuk. I think making homemade would solve that problem. This will go on my to do list when my finger is better.

8. Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam says:

This looks like so much fun. I have a big Magic Mill mixer. How do you think I would need to change that recipe from your bread machine. You mentioned 90 minutes, was that large amount of time due to the rising?

9. UnfinishedMom says:

Okay. I’ve made the pretzels. Now I have a question. How do you store them and how long do they keep? I’m finding that they’re getting stale very quickly. Any suggestions?

10. FishMama says:

Jen in TN, I've heard that you can sub soy milk, but I've never tried it. I know you could sub water.

Jen @ BB&B, the 90 min is the length of the dough cycle on my bread machine.

Unfinished, I have no idea. Ours were eaten up within one sitting. If I made extra, I would probably freeze them, well wrapped in foil, then in a plastic bag.