Cheese Enchiladas (URS: Meatless Main Dishes)

This week we’re swapping Main Dish recipes that don’t include meat. As I mentioned earlier this week, occasionally opting out of meat can be great for your budget as well as lessen wear and tear on the environment.

I started doing this years ago when we went to one income. I had read Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy, a great book to get you thinking how to save on food costs. One of her suggestions was to serve a meat-less meal once a week. We’ve done that intentionally for a dozen years now, and we’re just fine.

My children are self-professed carnivores, and it can be hard for them to take — at times. In lean seasons, we’ve gone meatless 6 out of 7 nights. But, we have several regular meals to which they have just become accustomed: beans and rice, bean tostadas, pasta with red sauce, and cheese enchiladas.

I prepare these with Las Palmas sauces. These are our very favorite canned sauces. (And believe me when I say we’ve tried many different kinds.) I have made my own enchilada sauce, but have found that for flavor and quality, it’s much easier and tastes better to open a can. I was particularly pleased to see coupons for this sauce in last Sunday’s paper.

An added plus is that these enchiladas freeze very well, so if two pans are too much for one dinner, freeze the other pan.

How about you? What’s your family’s favorite meatless main dish? Share it with us today!

Here’s how to participate in Ultimate Recipe Swap:

1. Post your recipe on your blog. Please mention www.lifeasMOM.com in your post so that your readers know where all the other good recipes are hanging out. Then, come back here to add the link to your post to Mr. Linky below. (Find instructions for Mr. Linky here.)

OR

2. If you don’t have a blog, simply post your recipe or tell us about it in the comments section.

3. Above all, please stick to topic. Today is meatless main dishes. So if your recipe doesn’t fit the theme, it will be deleted. Thanks for understanding.

Recipe links that do not stick to the theme or other guidelines will be chopped.
Have a story to go along with your recipe? We’d love to hear it! If you have a topic suggestion for future swaps, go here.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to share!

Comments

1. Christy@MercyEveryMorning says:

Your ideas look great! We don’t do meatless, as my dh doesn’t want to. But he does love Mexican food, so maybe I could get away with these dishes. :)

2. Stephanie says:

I am looking to do more meatless meals for our family so this is AWESOME! I can’t wait to see all the great ideas!

3. Hoosier Homemade says:

Those look really good! Thanks for hosting!
    ~Liz

4. We try to have a meatless dish each week, too. Sometimes it's as simple as macaroni & cheese or cheese pizza. Other times, I go to the trouble of making a lentil or bean dish. The kids are used to my strange meals.

5. Katie @ goodLife {eats} says:

We try to do meatless once a week. One of our long time favorites are Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas with Pepper Jack Cheese. I serve it with guacamole for dipping. For sides we either have black bean and corn salad or spanish rice.

6. what a great recipe swap! for those of you who do it for frugality, an added bonus is nutrition. legumes (beans and lentils) are very nutrient dense, an execllent source of protein and other antioxidants! 3 cups of beans are recommended per week by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans! make a pot of beans every week and eat them warm one night then save the rest to rinse and put on green and pasta salads. or puree them and add fresh/roasted garlic and other spices for bean dip.

7. my favorite is just simply rice, black beans, and rotel.

8. Hoosier Homemade says:

Sorry about the ham, I wasn’t thinking it was included in the recipe.
    I took it off.
    ~Liz

9. Can’t wait to check these all out!

10. Together We Save says:

Sounds really yummy. It is about 15 minutes till my lunch break and these recipes are making my tummy growl.

11. JessieLeigh says:

What a great sounding recipe! I don’t even think my “meat and taters” hubby would miss the meat with the olives in there… another of his great loves. :)

12. Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage says:

Sounds yummy!

13. Thank you!! I’m a vegetarian, so finding a yummy enchilada recipe *and* a list of recipes to explore that won’t be needing substitutions has made my morning!

14. VeggieMomma says:

I only eat ‘meatless’. But I really see meat–if you do eat it–as being a side dish. Beans, veggies and whole grains really should be more of a focus! Plus, they taste better to me :)

My favorite is breaded and fried or baked tofu cubes. Serve with salad, whole grain bread and sauce for dipping (sweet chili sauce is my favorite but sweet and sour, ketchup, and plum sauce work well too).

15. Yum! Great recipes, everyone! I linked up to an older post of mine featuring veggie burritos.

16. UnfinishedMom says:

Thank you so much for hosting this. I really need to increase our meatless meal options and there are definitely some good ones on this list! Thanks so much.

17. Yum! We prefer homemade mole sauce, so this is a great idea since I am completely out of meat (and money) till the end of the month. I just made a large pot of fresh beans, and have some in the freezer so that and rice will be great with these for dinner tonight!

18. I agree that a meatless meal can save money, but in our house, we spend more on cheese than we do on meat! A few years ago we started raising our own steer and pigs. The mama cow was supposed to be a milker, but she’s been too cantankerous for us. So-beef for us is about $2.50 per pound to raise, and pork is $3.50. The organic cheddar cheese I buy is $5.60 per pound though!

I LOVE cheese enchiladas though, so this is going on the Feb meal plan, thanks!

19. Dorothy says:

I’m looking at the enchilada recipes with my mouth watering. My son has tomato issues, however (it causes horrible reflux). Do you have suggestions to adapt the enchilada recipe to be tomato-free?

My enchilada sauce (Las Palmas) doesn’t have tomatoes. ;) Can he have tomatillos? You could use a green sauce…. Typical enchilada sauce doesn’t usually have tomato sauce, it’s chile based.

20. Can I put beef in this recipe? Would it freeze the same?

21. I made these last night for dinner but made them into bean and cheese b/c i knew my husband would be “starving” without his meat. I also made a side of rice. My husband said it was the best meal I’ve made in a long time! After he gobbled up seconds, I asked if he noticed there was no meat? His response? “Really?” Lol! Thank you for sharing your recipes! I love reading both your blogs and cooking your yummy food!