- Life As Mom - http://lifeasmom.com -
50 Ways to Streamline Your Life, Part Five
Posted By Jessica Fisher On May 24, 2009 @ 12:14 am In Home Management,Parenting and Family,Time for Mom,Time Management | 7 Comments
But, what you can do is simplify and adjust. Make changes that allow peacefulness to reign in your heart, mind, and home.
(This is part five in a series of ways to make life easier and more efficient. Go here  for the beginning.)
32. Start going to bed earlier . It may seem counterproductive to spend more time sleeping. But chances are you aren’t getting enough rest. And tired mamas don’t function as well as rested ones. So, make an effort to go to sleep 15-30 minutes earlier than you have been. Turn off the tv; shut down the computer; do not pass go. But, collect major dividends in the morning.
33. Lower your standards. I am one of those people who sets the bar really high for myself and for those around me. Sometimes this is a good thing. But, other times it feels like bondage. When I can’t meet my goal, I feel like a failure. If you find yourself in this situation, think about ways that you can readjust and set yourself – and your family – up for success .
34. Get moving. I recently have spent some time each day exercising. While these old muscles cry about it later, it is helping to energize me and make me a little more productive each day. At least that’s what the exercise gurus are telling me. And, I’m hopeful that they’re right.
35. Use the penicillin method  for decluttering. I first heard of this back in the pre-blog days when forums and bulletin boards were the digital mode of communication. I loved the Organized Home  forums. The “penicillin method ” involves slowly reclaiming dominion over the messes in your home. Start in one area, like the entryway. Get that spot spanking clean. The next day, maintain that area, and tackle a new one. Slowly work your way to the next adjacent areas until cleanliness, spreads, like a bacteria – only a good one.
36. Find the quickest route from messy to clean. There are great resources  out there to help you get your home in order. Speed Cleaning  by Jeff Campbell is a great little book to equip you with tricks to get the job done. The video, though dated, is a great help in visualizing how to do it — and a great way to inspire the kids to help.
37. Learn to say NO. Mothers are notorious for trying to please everyone. Hello! You can’t! Learn the fine are of declining. You can even start in small ways. Instead of agreeing to bake five dozen cookies, offer to provide some store-bought ones, purchased with a coupon. Saying no to good things in exchange for saying yes to better ones  is always a wise course of action.
What’s a way that you’ve simplified your life and home? Share it with us!
Article printed from Life As Mom: http://lifeasmom.com
URL to article: http://lifeasmom.com/2009/05/50-ways-to-streamline-your-life-part_23.html
URLs in this post:
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifeasmom/oGdA
 free updates via email: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=lifeasmom/oGdA
 my free seasonal newsletter: http://eepurl.com/q47Vb
 Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_89L9ZoBsR08/ShV6Sp4UtwI/AAAAAAAAE6E/t3pVdh5OkHM/s1600-h/2233.jpg
 here: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/04/time-for-mom-50-ways-to-streamline-your.html
 we love and nurture our families: http://www.ibsstl.org/bible/verse/?q=Romans%2012:10&tniv=yes
 help us do all that He asks us to do: http://www.ibsstl.org/bible/verse/index.php?q=John+14%3A13-14&submit=Lookup+Verse&tniv=yes&display_option=columns&v_mode=on&t_mode=on
 Start going to bed earlier: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/05/time-for-mom-go-to-sleep.html
 readjust and set yourself – and your family – up for success: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/05/modifications-permissable.html
 the penicillin method: http://organizedhome.com/declutter-101-strategies-cut-clutter
 Organized Home: http://organizedhome.com/
 great resources: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/05/home-management-101.html
 Speed Cleaning: http://astore.amazon.com/lifeasmom-20/detail/0440503744
 Saying no to good things in exchange for saying yes to better ones: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/05/from-their-perspective.html
 #38-50. To be continued….: http://lifeasmom.com/2009/05/50-ways-to-streamline-your-life-part_30.html
Copyright © 2011 Life As Mom. All rights reserved.