It’s OK Not to Go Overboard

I am probably in the minority when I say that. But, it’s ok not to go overboard. I had to tell myself that this weekend.

You see, I had big plans for a fancy, shmancy cake for my mom this weekend. (I mean, I do have a reputation to uphold, after all.) But, my computer didn’t cooperate with me and I couldn’t print out the cake toppers I wanted. I had limited time as I spent Friday afternoon and evening and all-day Saturday at a homeschool conference. As I fought with my computer’s memory-incapacity, I had to stop and think.

It’s ok not to go overboard.

In reality, my mom doesn’t care. Mom likes white cake with white icing. She doesn’t really want something more. Struggling to make it more would not benefit her. And even though it didn’t turn out to be a fancy, shmancy cake, Mom still liked it. (In fact, we all ate two pieces.) In the end I got time to do more important things, like hang out with my mom.

If you need to, give yourself permission not to go overboard this week.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Comments

1. Christina says:

Amen! Happy Mothers Day!

2. Frances says:

That cake is beautiful! Any mom would be proud to get that.

3. LaVonne says:

I agree! And your cake looks tasty. I love white cake with white frosting too! ;)

4. Your Frugal Friend, Niki says:

I whole-heartedly agree! And I decided the very same thing today.

Every year I have my family over for Mother’s Day brunch. Usually I prepare a smorgasborg of gourmet delights. This year I decided to pick 2 great things and then add simple things to go along with it. I made a boxed cake for dessert (oh, the horror!) An ya know what, everyone liked it!

Happy Mother’s Day!

5. Jessica :) says:

Wht a great reminder!I think a lot of women {MOMS} need to remember this! Thanks!

6. I'm Just a Girl says:

I totally agree…my hubby wanted to take me out for a big expensive dinner and buy me all kinds of fancy gifts for my 35th birthday. I sat him down and explained to him that the all you can eat salad and bread sticks special at the Olive Garden would suit me just fine, no gifts necessary. I don’t believe in going overboard…simple yet thoughtful is always a great route to go!