Just a Mom

Me and My Mom, 1973

This past weekend the local paper featured a story about “working” mothers who’ve been forced to leave the workplace and their stay-at-home counterparts who’ve been forced to join the workforce, both due to the economy. One mom commented that she has a hard time now being “just a mom.” The force of that statement struck me hard.

At first, I must confess, I was a little judgemental. I mean, c’mon, how can you say that about the highest calling?

Then, as the days have passed, I’ve found myself struggling with the fact that there are no television producers knocking down my door. I do not have a book contract waiting in the wings. I am not going to be on the evening news. I am not hitting the big time anytime soon.

And I found myself lamenting the fact that I’m, you know, just a mom.

But – oh! What wrong thinking! Being a mother (whether I work outside the home or not) is a good thing!

Didn’t we just have Mother’s Day? Didn’t we just see hundreds of greeting cards line the shelves at StuffMart touting the value of moms? The irony is not lost on me that the article I read was in Sunday’s paper. The culture will give lip service to the value of mothers, but then go on knocking it.

My value (and yours) is not found in the opinions of the news media or a paycheck. It is found in being a necessary component in the life of a child.

Of doing my best for the children God has placed in my care.

Of making a difference – in my own family.

So today, I’m going to try just to be the best mom I can be.

PS. Please don’t read this as a dig to moms who are in the workforce. That is not what I’m saying. at. all.

My hope in writing this was to encourage you whether or not you have another job besides being a mom. Your mothering is important. And I hope you feel the value of that. And I hope, hope, HOPE you are enjoying it.

Comments

1. Amy @ Finer Things says:

Excellent! I struggle with that, every once in a while. Mostly wondering if OTHERS understand and value my work at home. Mostly, they don’t… but I’m (mostly) okay with that.

2. Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam says:

Amen – I echoed that in my Mother’s Day post….it’s such a high calling…an honor.

3. xoxo

4. The 3D Momma says:

Dr. Laura has a new book out, “In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms”. I knew that I was doing the right thing by being a SAHM – but it’s still nice to read a book to support my choice.

5. UnfinishedMom says:

Yep. I’ve had the same struggle. But have recently reached the conclusion that it’s not that I “have to be” a stay-at-home mom.

It’s that I get to be a stay-at-home mom!

6. Alamodey says:

I find myself thinking that way in the middle of dishes, a dirty diaper. I remind myself that I prayed for this privelidge, that I longed for it, and that many are still waiting for it.

Then I remember that I might be just a mom, but to one little boy, I am almost the whole world.

7. Great post. Most of my friends are SAHM's (as am I) in our 30's & 40's who had careers prior to children and sometimes it's hard when we compare our 'old' lives to our 'new'- we shouldn't compare, but we do.

I got a text from one of those friends on Mother's Day that said 'remember what you do matters'. So true. It's a privilige and a most important job.
    Thanks!

8. Andrea @ The Train To Crazy says:

So true. Parts of society try to tell us that our time is better spent elsewhere but mothering does matter!

9. Your Frugal Friend, Niki says:

Amen, sister!

P.S. I was dying when you referred to that store as “Stuffmart”. LOL Love it!

10. Anonymous says:

I highly recommend a book I read a few years ago called “The Mission of Motherhood”… it speaks to exactly what you are talking about. Being a mom is the greatest blessing, highest calling, most important job, and yes.. sometimes most challenging job in the world. While some days I crave to do something that challenges my mind in a different way, or have more “me” time or adult conversation, what it all boils down to is I believe I am doing what I was made to do and I would be nowhere else in the world. I know I will miss these days of tiny feet, crying babies, diapers, laundry, etc. Somehow the daily challenges we have now will one day seem simple compared to what is ahead. I want to take pride in being a mom being thankful that I get to spend every day with my children. Whether you work or not, I believe our families is where God intended our hearts to be.. no matter what the newspaper says.

11. JessieLeigh says:

Love it! I struggle with this from time to time… especially when someone remarks, “Oh, so you don’t work?” And I stand there wondering why I’m so exhausted then… :) I hate that I feel the need to “justify” what I do sometimes. I remember when I had just quit my job to stay home with our son and I would list out what all I had done to my husband when he got home. Finally, one day, he just smiled and took my face in his hands and said, “Hon… I know you work. You work harder than I do. You don’t need to explain to me how you fill your days…”

I’m blessed to have such a husband.