Queso Fundido

I can’t believe I’ve not yet posted this recipe. It’s so easy and it does really well as a freezer meal. Plus, it’s absolutely delicious. Bon Appetit magazine published a recipe for it 10+ years ago, and I’ve tweaked it.

Updated 8:41 pm: If you read this this morning, you know I was going to try chorizo as a substitute. We did. not. like. it. Ugh. But, if you like chorizo, you will probably enjoy it as a substitute.

Comments

1. Native American Momma says:

this sounds so yummy and easy!

2. Going Green Mama says:

Sounds good. The pepper jack could be a good complement to the chorizo. We tried chorizo for the first time yesterday, on pizza (it was an Emeril recipe). It’s spicy, but great and not too greasy, we thought. Though I will warn you it may be too much for the kids!

3. Your Frugal Friend, Niki says:

Oooh! That does sounds absolutely fantastic!

Thanks for sharing!

4. Melinda says:

This sounds really delicious, adding it to my list of gotta-rey-that recipes!

5. Jessica6903 says:

This sounds good. I think we might try it with Jennie-O Hot Turkey Italian Sausage.

6. Katherine says:

Ooo sounds great! Any chance you can post a picture for us??

7. I don’t get it. It sounds like a dip. Do you dip the tortillas? or are you rolling it up? Sounds yummy but I just can’t figure out how you serve it :)

8. Sounds yummy! My husband was eyeballing it and likes it.

9. April Driggers says:

Can you just buy a bag of corn tortillas and freeze them on top of this (after it’s cooled?) I like to keep all the meals components together but honestly, I haven’t ever frozen tortillas

@April Driggers, you certainly could. At our house, hubs insists on making the tortillas fresh rt before serving. Thankful that he insists on doing it himself. ;)

• April Driggers says:

@Jessica Fisher,

OOOH I’d LOVE if he’d do that but if we want them fresh, we run down the street and buy them at one of the stores (there are three within about a 10 mile radius) that make them fresh there (one of the perks of living in Texas). :) I don’t know if I’d have the patience to make my own because they’d have to be PERFECTLY round! Ha!

10. Allie Zirkle says:

I was clicking around and only thought “hmmm, I should make this” after seeing the picture here (http://lifeasmom.com/2010/10/freezer-cooking-recipes-you-can-count-on.html). Maybe you could update this post with the photo? Looks and sounds very tasty!!

Thanks for a great suggestion. I didn’t start taking (decent) photos until 2011, so yeah, a photo was necessary.

11. This looks really good. We raise our own beef so I think I am going to try this with ground meat and homemade taco seasoning.

12. I’m not a fan of the chorizo either. I tried this at a restaurant with shrimp so if you ever get a good deal on shrimp, you should totally try it. It was so good! I never thought about freezing it so I’ll be adding this to my freezer list.

13. This would be so good with Cevapci! It’s an Eastern European sausage. Yum, I’m going to try these with your recipe and with the cevapci, too. Thanks!

14. We loved this concept. I will admit to chickening out over the sausage since we don’t do spicy– stuck to a milder turkey breakfast sausage since I had that browned from my red beans/rice over the weekend. I also threw in some freshly prepared black beans to stretch the filling (you know about 14yo boys). Will definitely do again, and make it a double for a freezer meal!

15. Allison says:

This sounds like such a great easy recipe! About how many would you say this serves? I have 4 kidlets and 2 grownups to feed. Thanks!! :)

I usually feed my family one pan with rice and beans and a big stack of homemade tortillas on the side. So, that feeds 8 — if you’ve got the sides.

16. My (Mexican-American) in-laws use chorizo more for flavor than as an actual dish by itself. They use it in eggs or pinto beans!

17. I’m so excited to try this recipe! I am so bored with my normal freezer meals and am on the hunt for some inspiration. So glad I found your recipes. Just wondering if you think it would work to add some whole grain rice to the filling before freezing? I’ve been wondering about freezing rice. Thank you!

I’ve never added rice to this dish. We prefer just meat and cheese with rice on the side.

18. I’ve made this recipe twice (with chorizo), and we LOVE IT! Hubby likes to eat it on flour tortillas with lettuce and tomatoes, just like beef tacos. I usually just have a little of the sausage and some sour cream on a tortilla – delicious!

19. This is one of my “Oh, no! Didn’t do a meal plan what am I going to fix tonight kindof meal.” But last night I had a twist in that I am in week 2 of low carb diet(I had to drool over the Red Velvet Pancakes I made the boys this morning).

Soooo, I took a green pepper, cut it in two, blanched it, and then stuffed it with this filling and baked it! (It’s also nice with mushrooms although gives a different flavor). So, not as fun as on tortillas but I still got to enjoy the meal without having to totally prepare something different for myself. :) Yum.

You always come up with such great alternatives. I need to have you help me test recipes for the next book. :)

• That would be fun. Thought the adaptation might be an idea for you getting through the next 30 days–I guess you’d have to drop the cheese but . . .

I had that on my plan until I called Sprouts today and found out that they put sugar in their sausage. It would be perfect except for that….

20. OMGOODNESS Jessica! I’ve wanted to try this for years. Before reading this recipe on your site I’d never heard of queso fundido. We had this for dinner tonight, using a nasty organic Italian sausage from Abundant Harvest Organics. We didn’t like the sausage on our pizza and I couldn’t bring myself to throw it out, since it’s organic and a little pricey for my tastes. Anyhoo, I am so glad I froze it instead of getting rid of it because I was able to try this recipe. It was delicious cooked with onion, coated in cheese, wrapped in a corn tortilla along with fresh salsa (your recipe using fresh tomatoes instead of canned). All I can say is OMG again (Hmmmm I just realized OMG backwards is GMO LOL- though not something to laugh about really). So, so good. And I can’t believe such a simple recipe could taste so amazing. Thanks for telling us how to make this! Bye now!

• I’m so glad you enjoyed it — and that you were able to salvage the sausage. I’ve used many different kinds and we always like this. I don’t recommend chorizo, though. I didn’t like it with that.