Our Anniversary Dinner & a Potato Salad (Ultimate Recipe Swap: A Romantic Meal)

Today FishPapa and I are celebrating our fifteenth wedding anniversary. It’s cliche, but true – the time has just flown by!

We met when I was a sophomore in college. I was preparing for a year abroad and then I met the guy of my dreams. As the Lord would have it, we not only still liked each other when I came back, we loved each other. We married the following May, and I got to spend two consecutive birthdays in France as my 22nd birthday fell in the midst of our honeymoon there. Oh la la!

We’ve been through a lot in the past fifteen years: six children, three miscarriages, two cross-country moves, the loss of a parent, self-employment, unemployment, richer and poorer. And I can honestly say, my sweet husband improves with age. He is golden, that is for sure.

One of the things that we like to do is enjoy good food together. (Ain’t that the truth!) Remember how we used to spend as much on feeding the two of us as we do now feeding seven? Well, those frivolous days are gone, but we still like to eat well.

For at-home dates and special occasions, I like to prepare dishes that are well placed in our memories of our life together. Our Valentine’s supper is the same dish I made on our first date: Chicken Parmesan. And for our anniversary? Well, in recent years, I’ve started to recreate our wedding dinner.

Ours was a pretty frugal wedding by the standards set for Santa Barbara, circa 1994. (Come back tomorrow for Frugal Friday for the scoop on that.) But, it was the best food and the best cake I’ve ever had at a wedding. Ever.

We held a casual, outdoor reception, something very un-fussy and relaxing. A California BBQ was the bill of fare, so we knew it would be good. The guests were very pleased. Just take a look at our groomsman’s face! (And how serious I am about filling my plate!)

So, that’s what we’re having for dinner tonight! It’s only the second year doing this, but I think it’s a great way to walk down memory lane, to include the whole family in our celebration, and to teach our children about the romance that began our family. We’ll look through wedding pictures, too, and eat something chocolately-raspberry and cream cheesy. (There’s no way I could recreate our cake.)

Our Menu
Grilled tri-tip and chicken
Potato Salad
Fruit Salad
Caesar Salad
Pasta Salad
Rolls

One of the items on the menu that my husband adores is Potato Salad. This may not fall under your category of Romantic Meals. But, it does in our book. It’s delicious, filling, inexpensive, and easy to pack on a picnic. Plus, it was part of our wedding dinner.

Not to mention that he loves it so much, he thinks he could live on it. You know the way to a man’s heart? This recipe.

Potato Salad

9 potatoes, peeled and choppped into 1-inch chunks
5 hardboiled eggs, peeled and mashed with a potato masher
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
mayonnaise, enough to bind ingredients
1 Tablespoon brown mustard
large pinch dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

Place potato chunks in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender. Drain well. In large mixing bowl, combine warm potatoes, eggs, celery, onions, and vinegar. Toss to combine. Add mustard and enough mayo to bind the ingredients well. Sprinkle with dill weed, salt and pepper. Chill well. Before serving, taste and adjust seasonings and add more mayo if necessary.

What would you make for a romantic meal with your sweetie? Share your recipe or menu ideas with us!

Here’s how to participate in Ultimate Recipe Swap:

1. Post your recipe on your blog. Please mention www.lifeasMOM.com in your post so that your readers know where all the other good recipes are hanging out. Then, come back here to add the link to your post to Mr. Linky below. (Find instructions for Mr. Linky here.)

OR

2. If you don’t have a blog, simply post your recipe or tell us about it in the comments section.

3. Above all, please stick to topic. Today is Romantic Meal Ideas. So, I guess anything goes if you’ve got the justification. But, if you’re bringing liver and onions to the table, you better have a very good story.

Have a story to go along with your recipe? We’d love to hear it!

If you have a topic suggestion for future swaps, go here.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to share!

Mr. Linky has been a little finicky lately, so if it’s not here, leave your link in the comments section. Thanks for your patience.

Comments

1. Christian Frugal Mama says:

Sorry! I left the wrong title, but the right link, in my first link up, so I did it again. I can’t seem to delete the first one…

2. The Sensible Momma says:

That is so sweet! Thanks for sharing- and Congrats! I love hearing about how people met and fell in love, but it is even more amazing to hear about people who have made it. Your wedding picture is beautiful and I’m happy that you two have had 15 wonderful years!

Here’s to another 15! :)

3. BusyMom says:

Congratulations! My husband and I just celebrated our 10th this year. It is amazing to look back at that day and remember. Thank you for sharing about yours. I’ll be sure to stop back tomorrow to learn more about your frugal wedding. We did a lot on our own to help save money.

4. Brianna @ Heart(h) Management says:

A very happy anniversary, Jessica! Fifteen years. Good for you. We will be celebrating our eighth this year and it *has* flown by quickly.

Enjoy your dinner tonight! Your menu looks soooo good.

5. Patricia says:

What a great idea for your anniversary! Our fourth anniversary is coming up July 2. I’ll be recovering, or just recovered, from having our first child together. We had a hamburger and hotdog cookout for our reception. That wouldn’t be too hard to recreate! By that time, the little one will be a few weeks old. It’ll be time for some reconnecting.

6. Snow White says:

What a great idea to recreate your wedding dinner for your anniversary!! We typically serve a way-too-good white cheddar mac and cheese for special occasions (b-days, anniversary, etc), but you’ve shown how fun it is to recreate the wedding dinner that we might have to do that in July!

Happy Anniversary!

7. Elizabeth Sue says:

Beautiful couple! To a hundred more years together!

8. so sweet! happy anniversary! my hubby has the worst memory, so i doubt he’d remember what we had at our wedding reception lol

9. Congratulations! My husband and I are also celebrating our anniversary today–but it’s only our 4th.:) I don’t have a blog (though I love reading yours). I’m not sure if this is what you meant by just “post your recipe” (I’m new to this stuff) but here is mine. Hope someone can enjoy it! I made this for our anniversary dessert. My husband loves it!

Layered Mocha Cheesecake

1 ½ C cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs (20 cookies)
    ¼ C butter, melted

Filling

2 ½ T instant coffee granules
    1 T boiling water
    ¼ t ground cinnamon
    4 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
    1 ½ C sugar
    ¼ C flour
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 t vanilla extract
    2 C semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled

Glaze

½ C semisweet chocolate chips
    3 T butter

Chocolate covered coffee beans for garnish, if desired.

Combine cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in springform pan. In a small bowl, combine the coffee granules, water, and cinnamon; set aside.
    In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and flour until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in vanilla. Divide batter in half. Stir melted chocolate into one portion; pour over crust. Stir coffee mixture into remaining batter, spoon over chocolate layer.
    Place pan on a double thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil (about 16 inches square). Securely wrap foil around pan. Place in a large baking pan; add 1 in of hot water to larger pan.
    Bake at 325 for 45-50 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
    In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter, stir until smooth. Spread over cheese cake. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with coffee beans if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

10. FishMama says:

Hattie, You did just right. And your recipe is inspiring. I’m making a cheesecake today and was contemplating a chocolate topping. Now, it’s a done deal.

11. Carebeth says:

Happy Anniversary! May God bless you with many more happy years together!

12. Carebeth says:

Sorry… I’m new at this and didn’t get the right post the first time, and I can’t figure out how to get the first post off, either.
    hopefully I’ll catch on one of these days.

13. Happy anniversary! My hubbie and I just celebrated our 15th this year too!

14. Jenny @ Another Jennifer Speaks says:

Hi. I was just surfing around some blogs, and I came across yours. It’s pretty nifty and I’m really enjoying my stay here. I’ve bookmarked your site for daily visits, and I hope you’ll visit me. I’d love to have you. :) Have a great day and I’ll see you around the blogosphere. :)