Frugal Friday: Fillet O’ Chick

One of the easiest ways to save money is on food. There is such a range in food options as well as a range of prices for those foods. For our family, using coupons is one great way that I can save some of our hard earned money. But, I try not to stop there. I want to cut every corner that I can, without sacrificing the quality of the foods we eat. This can be tough, especially when you have eight mouths (and palates) to feed.

My kids love meat. That is probably an understatement. They are carnivores through and through. In very lean times I’ve only served meat about once a week. But, I’ve also found ways to stretch the meat that we use. But, this is hard to do when you’re serving a roast or when you want to BBQ.

Over the past few months, I’ve experimented with filleting boneless, skinless chicken breast. I slice each plump breast half into two thinner fillets by cutting horizontally through the meat. Visually I’m producing twice as much meat to throw on the grill. And for some magical reason, if your eye sees a whole piece of meat, even if it’s smaller in weight, it communicates mysteriously with your stomach to be just as satisfied.

An added plus is that the fillets absorb marinades and rubs much more quickly, reducing prep time and increasing flavors. Using a spicy seasoning also helps to make you feel more satisfied.

By filleting our chicken, we eat less but feel just as satisfied. As a result, we save money. And that is always a good thing.

What money saving idea can you share with us today? It’s such a boon to hear what other people do to pinch a penny.

Write about it on your blog and bring your link back here. Anyone is welcome to participate provided that both the blog and the post are family-friendly.

Please remember

1. to add a link to www.LifeasMOM.com, so that your readers know where to find all the other good stuff that people are sharing. (It’s always good to share, isn’t it?)

2. to make sure that the link you share here directs us to your post, not the main page of your blog. You can find directions to do that here.

Looking forward to your great ideas!

Comments

1. Phoebe @ Cents to Get Debt Free says:

I've recently begun doing the same thing–with great results. I'm loving the savings!

Didn't realize that spicy foods also help to make you feel more satisfied.

2. Money Savin' Momma says:

Wow, interesting idea on the chicken. I'm just not sure it would work for me, I'm a huge eater…. but I'm willing to give it a try! Thanks for the money saving suggestion! This could work with lots of meats, not just chicken!

3. Hoosier Homemade says:

Wow, that's brillant! I would have never thought of that. Thanks!
    Thanks for hosting!
    ~Liz

4. I fillet my chicken breasts too!
    Great way to stretch it further. :)

5. Kimberly says:

Why have I never considered this? Makes perfect sense, but this never occurred to me. Thanks!

6. Great idea! I have also recently been deboning chicken instead of buying it deboned for even more frugal way to have chicken. :D

7. Whitney says:

We have also started something similar, because we realized we were eating huge amounts.

8. Mom2fur says:

I cut my chicken like that, too! Frankly, I don't like 'fat' chicken cutlets. And I think they cook better this way, anyway. Sometimes, I'll cut them in half crosswise, again, so I have four pieces–two nice-sized ones, and two smaller ones that I'll use for chicken fingers or nuggets.

9. Anonymous says:

Love the tips – my family members are carnivorous as well!

10. dancingwithdaffodils says:

Thanks for the advice. I find I use less meat when I cut it in pieces and mix it with rice or pasta.

11. Tia @ Tia Saving Cents says:

I have seen Villarta – our local latin store sell chicken this way but never thought to do it myself. Since I don't like thick chicken I am pretty sure I would love it! Thank you for sharing the great tip!

12. Jenn @ youknow... that blog? says:

I've never thought of filleting my chicken breasts, but it makes perfect sense! (and cents)

Added my link, and I've had your blog linked to mine since almost day one :)

Thanks, as always, for your insights!

Jenn

13. Whoa…how about limiting ONE link per week per blog?!

re: entry numbers -