Oh In-N-Out Burger! How I Love Thee!

If you live somewhere other than California, Arizona, or Nevada, and have never eaten a Double-Double, I’m sorry. You’re so missing out. Get thee on a road trip and make sure you stop at In-N-Out Burger.

It’s one of the fast food joints that I missed the most when we were in Kansas. And, yes, I tried Sonic, Hardees, Culvers, BackYard Burger, and even Winsteads. But, none of them can even compare. None.

In-N-Out is privately owned, no franchises, and they make everything fresh. You can even watch them chop potatoes into fries through the window. It continually ranks as my #1 choice of where we’ll eat if we’re getting fast food.

After a week of counting calories, this weekend I was ready to crack and just go for a double cheeseburger with grilled onions. I’m trying to make my carbs count, so that means no processed wheat. Hmmm… But, then I remembered that INO will make it “protein style.” That means without the bun. They wrap it well in several leaves of lettuce so you can still pick it up and eat it. It wasn’t exactly the same, but it was good. Oh my. Yes, sirree.

Try it, you’ll like it. Promise.

This message was brought to you by my stomach.

Comments

1. That looks soooo yummy, even without the bun!

2. Ann @couponsdealsandmore.com says:

Whenever we are in CA, NV or Az we try and stop. They really are very good.

3. My Love Bug Kids says:

fish mama,
    you have no idea what you have just done to me. I live about eleventy billion miles from the closest INO and now my mouth is watering beyond repair.

i heart me some INO. I grew up in so cal and now live in the midwest. when ever I visit home again, it's one of the first if not THE first stop after luggage & rental car at LAX. Yeah for there being one right around the corner from LAX.

4. The Bertone's says:

I love burgers without the bun! I eat them like that often.. Cuts out the carbs!

5. Jessica says:

I’m originally from California, and I have to say…every time I pass by a burger place on the East Coast, a little voice inside me says “You have nothing on In-N-Out!”

Or, something like “You will never know how good animal fries are! Or what joy a secret menu brings!”

6. I have to admit I’m spoiled. I live 3 miles from In-N-Out Burger. Once you go once there’s no turning back. Sorry McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King, Sonic…..

7. Anonymous says:

Hello,
    Love your blog!! I live in California also and our family goes to In N Out waaaay to often. There is nothing like it!! We moved away for my husband’s job a few years ago and it was so nice to come HOME to California. Welcome back, it’s good to have you.

8. I live in KS and have never had In and Out Burger. Now you have me intrigued and hungry! LOL!

9. Anonymous says:

What happened to the 25 lb of flour and what are you eating now?
    Tracy

10. It is amazing how good things taste when you’re starving, I mean dieting. I do the same with a Wendy’s single-mmmm. But the picture you took looked like a good size portion that would fill a busy mom up!

11. FishMama says:

You guys crack me up! Who knew that a burger w/o a bun would garner so many comments?!

Honey, yes, I’m starving. But, I’m eating. Just not all that I want to eat. That’s the trick, I guess.

Tracy, it was 100 pounds of flour!!! And the kids and hubs are enjoying it to the fullest. I made homemade hot dog buns for them over the weekend, and FishPapa is still making pancakes. As soon as I can (afford it), I’m going to get some whole wheat and start mixing the two in my recipes. Then everyone can eat the same thing.

12. LaVonne says:

Well, I don't even eat meat and I love In and Out. I get their veggie "animal style" grilled onions and bring my own vege Boca Burger and Soy cheese slice. It is the best!!! And cheap! the fries? Well, they top any other fast food place by far.