Now is the season to pick up some great deals on school and office supplies. Places like CVS and Staples have been practically giving stuff away for free! And as usually happens as soon as the red, white, and blue are done, Target and Walmart have stocked the school items and it’s time to move on to a new “season.”
But, you don’t have to use school supplies just for school. With some clever thinking you can repurpose those items for gifts and other household uses.
1. Bic pens can be transformed into flower pens which make great gifts for teachers and friends.
2. With binders and copy paper and these free printables from Organized Home, you can create a household notebook for yourself or as a housewarming gift for a friend. Read how Simple Mom sets up her home management notebook for more inspiration.
3. Simple composition books can get new life as journals when you decorate them. My sister gave these as Christmas gifts last year with a coffee gift card and a beautiful fabric coffee sleeve. The makings of a great Saturday Morning Off.
4. Crayons are a dime a dozen right now — literally. Stock up for your own children, but also lay in a supply for your gift cupboard. Crayons make a great birthday bag filler or part of a coloring kit.
5. Crayons, pencils, erasers and little notebooks make great stocking stuffers. Plan ahead for Christmas and avoid the crunch — for time and money — later.
6. Check with your local homeless shelter or foster children’s care board. Kids who live transient lifestyles, obviously through no fault of their own, still need school supplies. Find out what your community’s needs are and how you can help fill some of them. A backpack loaded with extra supplies can help one more kid feel better about his trip to school.
7. Likewise, plan ahead for “Love in a Shoebox” and other similar ministries where collections are taken of items to send to children in Third World Countries. Often times the simplest things, like a Hello Kitty pencil, can brighten the lives of children.
Got another great use for school and office supplies? I’d love to hear it!
PS: Please take a minute to read the comments. Readers suggested some more wonderful ideas. I was so blessed by everyone’s thoughtfulness. Thank you!
PPS: Be sure to visit We Are That Family for Works for Me Wednesday.