Grocery Geek Breaking News Story: Southern California Albertsons

We interrupt our regularly scheduled program to alert you to a great money saving venture at Southern California Albertsons.

Just had to give you a head’s up about the great deal that started today at Albertsons. If you have a SuperValu owned store in your neighborhood (like Shaws or Cub Food), check your ad, maybe it’s going on there, too. This is only good at Southern California Albertsons (Ridgecrest and south).

Here’s the deal:
Buy $30 worth of participating products in a single transaction with your preferred card and “receive three $5 coupons good on any future purchase of your choice. Coupons may be combined at time of redemption. Limit one offer per transaction. Coupons will print at checkout.”

Check Albertsons’ online ad to see what products fit the bill at your house. As you think about the prices and what will work for your budget, remember you’re getting half the price back, then subtract any coupons you might have to see what your eventual cost would be.

For instance today I bought what’s pictured above.

Kix cereal $2 each – $1 deal savings – $1/2 insert coupon = $0.50/box
Honey Nut Cheerios $2 each – $1 deal savings – $1 printable = FREE
Yo Plus yogurt $2.50 each – $1.25 deal savings – $1 printable = $0.25/4 pk
Breyers ice cream $3 each – $1.50 deal savings – $1/2 printable = $1/carton

After coupons I paid $22 out of pocket, rec’d $15 in store coupons, making my cost $7! Just don’t lose your coupons or let them expire. The clerk who helped me allowed me to use them on a second transaction of non-deal items that I needed to buy.

I am not sure if they will let you do more than one of these deals in succession. That is, spend $30, get $15; do it again, spending $30, including the $15 coupons, and get another $15 in coupons. I’ve had mixed experiences (and some nasty checkers) in the past. As they say in the couponing world, “your mileage may vary.” Let us know how it works for you.

Other items you might consider:
Chex Mix bars $2.50 each – $1.25 deal savings – $.60 printable = $.65/box
Betty Crocker fruit snacks $2 each – $1 deal savings – $.50/2 printable = $.75/box
Macaroni Grill dinner kit $3.50 – $1.75 deal savings – $1.10 printable = $.65/box (Try a dinner kit hack while you’re at it.)
Klondike ice cream bars $2.50 – $1.25 deal savings – $1/2 printable = $.75/6 pk
FiberOne yogurt $2.50 – $1.25 deal savings – $1 printable = $.25/4 pk (there’s also this printable)
ALL laundry detergent $3.50 – $1.75 deal savings – $1/printable = $.75/bottle (Thanks, Money Saving Mom!)

Comments

1. Dolphin Girl says:

That is sweet, I am headed there this afternoon I hope I do as well!

2. You did a great job. I live right by an Albertson's, and I am in SoCal too. I will have to try this out for sure, thanks! :)

3. Anonymous says:

Please explain the deal savings amount. I'm reviewing the southern CA Albertsons and it states:

General Mills Cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Cruch, Cookie Crisp, Ressese's Puffs adn Kix are two for $4

Breyers Ice Cream are two for $6

Yoplait Yo-Plus Yogurt are two fo $5

4. FishMama says:

Anon, if you buy $30 worth of those items, you will receive $15 in store coupons that can be used like cash in a future transaction. So, that means you're automatically getting half your money back. Don't buy more (or less) than $30 worth in one transaction and this is how the numbers will work out. Obviously, your savings will be offset a little if you buy more. And you won't earn the $15 in coupons if you buy less.

5. Anonymous says:

was this deal advertised in your local Albertsons ad? Thanks!

6. FishMama says:

Anony, yes, I get the ads in Monday's mail. All the participating products are listed on the back page. Albertsons stores are owned by different corporations throughout the US, so the sales vary by region. The So. California Albertsons are their own region. Ridgecrest is as far North as they go, according to the PR rep I spoke with.

7. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the fast info on the ad!
    Oh ugh!!! I had my hubby pick up a flyer because I was so excited about this deal – wanted to get my list all in order…. Our deal is $5 off meat with $20 participating purchases :( -this is in MT though!
    Hope you all have fun with some great $5 coupons! ;)

8. Anonymous says:

My NW flyer has the meat deal too and not this one but sometimes we're a week behind everyone else. Here's hoping we'll get this deal next week! Thanks for the heads up!

9. HeatherC says:

Oh goody… you KNOW I am going to do this one tomorrow!!!! :)

10. Anonymous says:

hey this is really some very useful information, a similar thing i stumbled on was http://www.Aafter.com…this site provides lot of discounts, cash backs and grocery coupons apart from the discounts given by the seller.

Samantha geller

11. Kimberly says:

I did round one of this tonight and paid $8 for 6 boxes of Macaroni Grill, 4 boxes of Betty Crocker Brownies, and 3 packages of Warm Delights. The cashier told me that I couldn't use internet printable coupons on this special but she said she would take them this one time. GRRR I came home and called corporate. I will wait for a return phone call. I was told that each store gets to decide their own coupon policy.

12. FishMama says:

GRRR is right! When I called corporate last fall, they said that they had to accept internet printables since Albertsons itself hosted a coupon printer on their website. Don't take this one lying down! ;) Call them back is you don't hear back by lunch. I've heard that it is corporate policy to take printables, except for those good for free product.

13. Stace&Lis says:

So excited about this deal! Thanks for highlighting it! I bought 4 boxes of Macaroni Grille, 4 Betty Crocker brownies, 2 boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios and two boxes of Chex bars today. Cost $31, about $23 after coupons and earned the $15 in coupons AND a $2 coupon valid when I fill out a survey.
    Looking forward to going again in a few days…
    (Also, I had a friendly checker, and I used several internet coupons.)