Save the Date! Birthday Cake Round-Up

You are cordially invited to the third Birthday Cake Round-Up, hosted by LifeasMOM. It’s true. And I hope you can come.

Who: YOU and all your friends, cousins, and enemies. (Well, don’t tell your enemies. They can stay home.)
What: a carnival rounding up birthday cakes of all walks of life, all sizes, all shapes.
Where: here at LifeasMOM
When: Thursday, July 16th, bright and early
Why: ’cause it’s fun to be inspired by all the other cake ideas that moms are baking for their sweet ones. (Everyone who participates has a chance to win fame, glory, and a free dessert from Sara Lee!)
How: There are a couple ways that you can participate

1. Prepare to blog about any birthday cake (or birthday dessert) that you’ve made recently. Post it and bring the link here on the 16th. I’ll have Mr. Linky ready and waiting, Lord willing. (This will be the Ultimate Recipe Swap of next week.)

2. If you don’t have a blog, send me a photo of your cake to lifeasmom (at) sbcglobal (dot) net. I’ll post as many as I can.

3. Post the button above so that you can help spread the word about the party going on over here.

Breakfast is served! (That’s really a cake.)

If you’re new to FishMama’s obsession with bday cakes, let me explain. I am not a professional baker. Nor do I play one on tv. I’m just a mom who likes to make birthdays fun for my kids. Somewhere along the line, I realized what a kick it was to make the cake fit some kind of theme or interest, my most recent one being in the shape of an orca. (Obviously other people supply me with themes. Readers have even challenged me with crazy themes.) Cakes have garnered me my fifteen minutes of fame. Just google, “Indiana Jones Birthday Cake” and you’ll see.

I even wrote an ebook about cakes.

Every six months or so I have been pleased to host a round-up of birthday cakes from moms all over the country and even the world. It’s been so fun to see what kids are into and how their parents have tried to make their birthdays special.

Baking a cool cake is not difficult and it’s proven to be a great alternative to more expensive, bakery-made cakes. I hope you’ll spread the word about the Birthday Cake Round-Up and come check out all the pretty cool cakes that will be represented.

Is your little girl pretty fancy? Make her a purse like Fancy Nancy’s.

Related:
Winter 2009 Birthday Cake Round-Up
Summer 2008 Birthday Cake Round-Up
The Indiana Jones Birthday Cake
other cake related posts

Comments

1. Katie @ goodLife {eats} says:

You are so good! I always have problems with getting cake crumbs all over the frosting when I do cakes. Cupcakes are easier for me! ;)

2. FishMama says:

I just pile on the frosting real thick to hide the crumbs!

3. I'll get my daughter to show me how to send a pic from my camera. LOL! I made my little girl the CUTEST flip flop cake(s) last summer. Does it matter if you got the recipe and directions from a magazine? Dawn in SC

4. FishMama says:

It would be great to give credit where you can. As long as you made the cake and it's your photo, send it on.

5. Brianna @ Heart(h) Management says:

I think this is a Martha Stewart tip about icing cakes and avoiding crumbs. First do a thin layer of icing–don't worry about the crumbs. Pop the cake in the freezer just long enough to harden that layer of crumby icing. Then finish! Those crumbs will stay put where they should–underneath your second layer! Voila! :)

6. Bethany says:

Did you see the lightsaber cupcake cake on Hostess with the Mostess. I saw it and thought of you

7. Nice! Just in time for my birthday on the 17th:)

8. Melissa says:

Katie (at good life)… if you do a crumb layer first you can eliminate all the crumbs. You spread a thin layer all over the cake to seal in all the crumbs and then a thicker layer over that.
    I am a stay at home mom and I have a small cake business on the side that I do from home. I have been doing it for just over a year now, and am loving it so much. You can check out my blog:

Happy baking,
    Melissa

9. Samantha says:

I WANT TO WIN

10. Samantha says:

I SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR BLOG AND FORWARD IT TO ALL OF MY MOM FRIENDS

11. Samantha says:

MY DAUGHTERS BIRTHDAY (THE BIG #1) IS THIS SEPTEMBER AND SHE IS IN LOVE WITH ELMO…SO TO SAVE $ I HAVE TRIED UN SUCCESSFULLY TO MAKE A 3D VERSION OF ELMO…BUT IM STILL TRYING…I HAVE UNTIL SEPTEMBER…LOL