Why Christmas Now?

It’s summertime. The sun is shining. It’s hot outside.

Why in the world would we start thinking about Christmas now? Oh let me count the reasons why:

1. Summertime is a little more laid back. Schedules are a little looser. Now is a great time to think about last Christmas, what you want to improve on, what you want to do this year.

2. Some holiday projects take some time to put together. If you start thinking about those now, you won’t feel so pressed come November.

3. By planning ahead, you can start adjusting your budget now and avoid over-spending and debt later on.

4. End-of-summer sales are great as are back-to-school specials. Savvy shopping now can pay off in money and time savings later.

5. Having a holiday plan before you enter the busyness of Fall enables you to enjoy the holiday season more, without feeling stressed out or over-spent.

For the next week, I’ll be hosting daily giveaways as well as ideas for planning a simpler and more meaningful holiday.

To get you started thinking all things Christmas, check out these Christmas planning resources.

What do you want to do differently this Christmas?

Comments

1. Tiffany @ Lattes And Life says:

I'm with you. It's been creeping closer to the front of my mind that I need to start getting ready for the holidays. Most people wouldn't understand that, but it truly does help when you start getting mentally ready this far in advance.

2. Jennifer says:

I want to have all of my shopping done by the end of October. That way I'm not focused on shopping during the Christmas season. I want to focus on Christ rather than the mall! :)

3. Brown Thumb Mama says:

Planning ahead is a very, very, good idea. Unless something miraculous happens, my contract at work will end in mid-December. It would be a lean Christmas if we didn't plan ahead.

I've started making Christmas gifts now–am teaching myself to knit, make soap, and other goodies that we can give as gifts.

4. Keowdie says:

I agree! Every year I am completely shocked when Christmas rolls around and I am terribly behind in both shopping and crafts (as if I had no idea this holiday was coming!). And this always leaves me a bit long on stress & short on cheer.

Last year I put a reminder into my iPhone to begin planning, shopping for and knitting Christmas gifts on July 27. The alarm went off yesterday and I sure am glad! I vow to NOT be frantically knitting Christmas gifts at 2:00 on Christmas morning this year!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is planning ahead!

5. TopazTook says:

This year, I want to really cut back on non-holiday-related outside activities in December. (We did a music class last year that went into the first two weeks in December. You would think once a week wouldn't be that big of a deal. You would be wrong.) I made a note to myself regarding this in my post-holiday writeup, which I reviewed this week — very helpful!

6. I am sitting here with my hubby writing up the shopping list for the kids & the cousins, will be heading into Target tomorrow to sort out a layby for Christmas.
    I did this last year & it was great, the big toy sale is on so I get better presents for my set $$ than I would closer to Christmas & I can spread the payments out weekly to keep on budget.
    I will also search the end of season sales for the adults pressies this time round.
    I hadn't thought of making a start on the crafts though that's a great idea.

7. MaryAnn says:

So looking forward to this series! I have followed one of the Organized Christmas plans for the last 3 years, and it made a huge difference – I imagine that getting my wheels turning in July can only make things easier down the line.