How to Fry an Egg (Ultimate Recipe Swap: Breakfast)

Everybody knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. (Didn’t you watch those nutrition cartons in elementary school?) After a night of “fasting,” breakfast is the opportunity to refuel your body for the morning ahead. This is important for everyone, but particularly for children. Studies have indicated that kids perform better in school and in life if they’ve got a good meal in their bellies.

However, no matter where your family “does school,” at home or away, mornings can be crazy. And it’s hard to find time to cook up something yummy. Or maybe your breakfast repertoire is limited to cold cereal and toast. There are sooooooo many more options than that. Today, readers are sharing their favorite breakfasts. You’re sure to find a do-able option for your morning meal.

We love breakfast — even if it’s not the morning meal. It’s often one of my go-to meals for the nights when my meal plan tanks.

One of my family’s favorites is Fried Eggs. So, I thought I’d offer up a tutorial on how to Fry an Egg. I’m sure there is more than a handful of people out there who aren’t sure how to do it. And fried eggs are just the ticket to avoiding the McRipoff in the morning rush.

How to Fry an Egg | Make Many Fried Eggs at Once

(Now, this may garner a few “eeewww gross pictures” comments. Last week my roast chicken photos generated an interesting response on Facebook. Unfortunately, food isn’t always photogenic. But, if you prepare it well, it will taste good. And taste trumps appearance anyday.)

How to Fry an Egg

Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in pan (or bacon drippings, if you like to live dangerously). Crack eggs into pan. Season with salt and pepper.

How to Fry an Egg | Make Many Fried Eggs at Once

When eggs start to set, separate them, cutting through with the edge of a spatula. Gently flip eggs so that the other side can cook. (Kids don’t generally like slimy eggs.) Cook until yolk has cooked to desired consistency. We like it just a little soft in the center. Serve over toast or in this sandwich or this sandwich.

How to Fry an Egg | Make Many Fried Eggs at Once

Got a great breakfast recipe you want to tell the world about? We want to know!

1. Post your recipe on your blog. Please mention www.LifeasMOM.com in your post. Then, come back here to add your link to Mr. Linky below. (Find instructions for Mr. Linky here.)

OR

2. If you don’t have a blog, simply tell us about your recipe in the comments section.

Everyone who participates in today’s URS (through comment or link) will be entered in a giveaway for a copy of Bach for Breakfast: The Leisurely Way to Start Your Day.

Next week: Make Ahead RecipesMoneySavingMom and I will be live-blogging and tweeting a #BakingDay next Wednesday. Please join us if you’d like and bring your favorite recipe to URS on Thursday.

Comments

1. I love fried eggs! :D

2. Katie @ goodLife {eats} says:

One of my favorites is a french toast with pear and brie. I haven't posted it yet and have been meaning too but it's one of those overnight recipes…I might have just talked myself into going downstairs to throw it together. Oh geeez.

3. TopazTook says:

My three-year-old likes eggs, in many forms, and I can cook them (although I don't care for soft-boiled eggs). My egg challenge is figuring out what she means by "rotten" eggs — at least "spoiled" is clearly "hard-boiled."

4. We love fried eggs here too! ESPECIALLY when they're made with the farm fresh eggs we get from my mother in law!

5. Vickie's Michigan Garden (my backyard) says:

I like how you fried all your eggs together like that and then seperated them makes it look so easy.
    vickie

6. JessieLeigh says:

I don't even EAT bacon, but I love bacon grease for my eggs– nothing better in my opinion!

I finally learned how to cook my hubby's egg his preferred "over medium" a couple years ago… after 5+ years of marriage.

7. Hoosier Homemade says:

I wasn't sure about linking an old post, but it looks like it's okay to do.
    Thanks for hosting!
    ~Liz

8. UnfinishedMom says:

I really should learn to fry eggs more than one at a time. It would make my mornings go so much easier. Thanks for the tutorial!

9. Love the 5 eggs at a time method. We do a lot of scrambled eggs for the kids, but Devin prefers 'over medium'. Maybe I'll try it this weekend and make him a few.
    Here's my URS breakfast "post":
    Scramble 6 eggs in a bowl with about 1/4 cup water, salt and pepper. Heat skillet on low and melt butter or bacon drippings. Add the egg mixture and let set around edges. Turn up heat to med and finish scrambling. The water will ensure moist fluffy eggs and it evaporates as you cook. Mmmmm.

10. I had no idea that this wasn't how EVERYBODY fried eggs. Who knew?

11. Amy@ MomsToolbox says:

Never thought about how to fry multiple eggs at one time… Thanks for the awesome how-to!!!!

12. Sweet and Savory says:

Breakfast has the absolute best food.

13. skier1998 says:

I love fried eggs with a "dippy" yolk but never enjoyed the flipping. My grandma taught me this method….

Once the eggs are starting to set… add water around the edges and cover with a lid. They top will cover over with white – the yolk will look pink. No slime. But, yummy dippy yolks. :-)

14. Moms In Need Of Mercy says:

I wasn't looking so much at the eggs but at the plate that holds the egg because we have the same plates!! Mikasa French Countryside, right?! How funny is that? :) Good taste :)
    (here mine features a cranberry apricot granola bar http://momsinneedofmercy.blogspot.com/2009/10/cranberry-apricot-granola-bars.html)