Avocado Salsa (Ultimate Recipe Swap: Anything Goes)

In my neck of the woods avocados have been on killer sales recently for as low as 3/$1. That’s a stock-upportunity for sure. I don’t know about the scientific evidence, but I consider avocados a superfood. Super-good! Love that smooth, buttery texture, especially when prepped with cilantro, jalapeno, and a little tomato. Yumbo!

FishPapa, however, is not crazy about guacamole. He’s got some texture issues. And I love it if we can both be happy at mealtime. It’s so much more fun that way. He loves avocado salsa. And this is so easy to make, well, it’s not even funny. My two year old could probably make this. Except for the sharp knife part of the equation.

This salsa goes great as a dip, a topping for Mexican dishes like enchiladas or tostadas, and just eating plain. Yes, I have done would do that.

Avocado Salsa
3 avocados, halved, pitted, and chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup diced, red onion
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
juice of one lime or 1/2 lemon

Combine all ingredients gently. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chips.

Got a great recipe you want to tell the world about? We want to know!

1. Post your recipe on your blog. Please mention www.LifeasMOM.com in your post. Then, come back here to add your link to Mr. Linky below. (Find instructions for Mr. Linky here.)

OR

2. If you don’t have a blog, simply tell us about your recipe in the comments section.

Everyone who participates in today’s URS (through comment or link) will be entered in a giveaway for a copy of Family Fun Birthday Cakes.

Next week: Breakfast is served! (Updated schedule is here.)

Comments

1. UnfinishedMom says:

How do you know when an avocado is ripe?

2. Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship says:

Oh, that was such a hard choice! I flipped through my recipes, and of course, if I posted them, we love them. I just wanted to affirm for you that avocados ARE a super food on many lists; honorable mention on mine. Here's a neat carnival to check out: linked up super food recipes to maximize your nutrition without making anything wacky or getting weird ingredients! http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/10/14/october-fest-carnival-of-super-foods-super-foods-fest/

Looking forward to breakfast next week!
    Katie

3. Christian Frugal Mama says:

Question answer: An avacado is ripe when you press gently around the top (narrow part) and it gives slightly to gentle pressure.

My own question. Have you done an international foods URS? I'd love that!

4. A JoyFilled Life says:

Wow, 3 for $1! I'd be going crazy filling the freezer with guacamole super food!

5. When we lived in So. Cal. we had a avocado tree that was taller than our two story home. My firends loved coming over and "picking dollars off of the tree" as one friend called it.

Your recipe looks like the perfect blend of flavors. I'll have to see if avocados are on sale in my area!

6. That looks so good! Our Kroger had avacados for a ridiculous price yesterday and I got all hungry for guacamole. But, every one of them was mushy – after seeing the pics, I'm determined to find some good avacados and make some guacamole to go with my burrito dinner tonight!

7. I love guac!

8. smalltownsimplehome says:

I love avacados! But my husband has some "issues" with them too…and don't even ask about the kids. I actually bought one yesterday to slice on a sandwich today. This looks really good. Maybe my hubby would like this better than guac. Thanks!

9. My husband thinks avacados are just pre-guacamole! My 2 year old points to an avacado and calls it guacamole. It is a regular fare each week on our Taco Tuesday. I would love it if they were that cheap here (MN). Unfortunately they are $1.25 each! YIKES!

Question: can you freeze them (I saw a few mentions of it in previous comments)

10. Sam's mom says:

okay this is flippin fantastic! You are now one of my favorite blogs. Geez! CHEAP GOOD FOOD for my family? I'm coming right over here for recipes. thanks!

11. I just found your blog, and the swap today. Thank you for hosting so many wonderful recipes!

12. Yum, avocados! I left a link for my favorite current breakfast idea but I think I'd rather eat avocados in the morning. At 33 cents I probably would! I'll be on the lookout for some deals here.

Long ago I spent some time in France and a family there treated me to avocados sprinkled with olive oil, shallots, lemon juice and a bit of sea salt. I think it's maybe the best thing I've ever eaten. And so simple too! Your salsa looks amazing–yumyum!

13. I just found your blog this week and have subscribed via Google Reader. This looks delicious! I have posted a link to it in my Friday Favorites. ~Lanie