Ground Beef in Bulk (Ultimate Recipe Swap: Beef)

Beef is on the menu today on URS. There are so many wonderful things about beef, namely Tri-Tip, Prime Rib, and Filet Mignon. Those would definitely be my favorites. But, those aren’t always the best for the budget. Since I know so many of us are pressed for either time or cash — or both, I thought I would share a guest post from Liz at Hoosier Homemade. Not only will her tips and tricks save you time to do other things than stand at a hot stove, but they will also save you money if you keep your eye open for good sales on ground beef or turkey and then stock up! When someone asks, “Where’s the beef?” you’ll be able say, “It’s cooked and waiting — in the freezer.”

Here’s Liz:

Ground Beef ~ Buying in Bulk
Buying ground beef and other meat in bulk is not only a great savings, it’s a time saver. Recently I bought a large package of ground beef at Aldi’s for $7.06 for 5.06 pounds, that’s $1.40 per pound. I cooked it and drained the grease into a measuring cup.

Before putting the ground beef in bags for the freezer, it’s best to spread it out on a cookie sheet, to prevent clumping. Now, you can just leave it on the counter to cool, or you can quick freeze it on the cookie sheet and then place it in the bags after it’s frozen. You can easily divide it into bags and freeze it.

Or you can mix up some Taco Meat like I did recently. I knew I had a couple meals on the schedule to use Taco Meat, so I just mixed it up and let it simmer in the crockpot with the meat.

Seasoned Taco Meat
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
a small amount in my hand of
cumin
oregano
parsley flakes
Pampered Chef Southwestern Seasoning
chili powder
garlic salt
1 cup of water

To save even more time, you can freeze the Taco Meat for later use.

– Liz is a SAHM to 3 boys, 18, 15 and 12. She blogs over at Hoosier Homemade about homemaking, including cooking, baking, frugal living, and decorating.

Got a great beef recipe to share with us? Link up below with the permalink to your post or tell us about it in the comments section. Please make sure to link back to www.lifeasmom.com in your post so your readers know where the meat-eating party is. Everyone who participates today is automatically entered in this giveaway. But, there are ways to get other chances to win!

Next week: Bring your favorite baking recipe!

Comments

1. Thanks for the tips! My mom used to buy beef in bulk round logs and she would brown some, slice some for hamburgers, and freeze some in meat-loaf sized portions.

I love the pre-made taco meat — that's great. Thanks.

2. The Real Me! says:

That recipe looks great. I use taco meat for my homemade pizza and cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella and its yummo!
    Blessings,
    Kim

3. Hoosier Homemade says:

I'm honored to be guest posting today, thanks so much! And thanks for hosting!
    ~Liz

4. Great tip about freezing the precooked meat, but… do you ever think about how that meat is raised? The confinement house, the antibiotics, etc.? I know it's really cheap to buy meat this way, but I just can't bring myself to support this method of farming. We buy all our meat from local farmers who treat their animals humanely, don't use anitbiotics, etc. More expensive? Yes, definitely, but cheap isn't everything.

5. Ground beef is the best money stretching ingredient:-)

6. Jessica-
    Great tips for bulk cooking meat. We process 1 to 2 deer each year I will definitely be using your freezing tip.
    Karen- You raise an interesting point. I agree with you in that factory farming is terrible. It would be wonderful if everyone in America could purchase locally grown produce, raw milk, and local meat. Unfortunately, the US Government's bias towards large factory farms with subsidies and other political perks keeps factory produced goods at an artificially low price and local goods at a much higher price. Also, if local governments changed their zoning ordinances people would be able to raise chickens, goats and even pigs in their own backyard. This would allow lower income families to grow their own food in order to save money and eat healthier.
    In this economy with unemployment reaching 10% people have to feed their families. While purchasing factory beef is not ideal sometimes you have to make sacrifices in order to survive.
    I think it is wonderful you are supporting your local farmers. If everyone who could afford to support local farms did so, it would change the economics of food and make real, local, humane food affordable for everyone.
    I agree that cheap isn't everything, but I also don't want to condemn those who are doing their best to feed their families in these tough economic times.
    Toni

7. Karen, as Toni said, you bring up some good points re: the beef industry and its processing. Years ago I researched this and yes, came to a similar conclusion as you. Organic, local beef is the best choice. However, for many of us, I don't think it's a question of "cheap" as much as it is making ends meet. Buying organic when we couldn't afford it is one of the things that I did to put my family in debt. For many families organic just isn't an option. In fact, when we had our "wake up call" re: debt and adjusted our spending, we only ate meat once a week, if that.

So, many of us find ourselves in a quandry: go meatless or buy something that may not be the very, very best. For me, my target price is $2/#. I buy the best that I can within those guidelines. In June my grocery store marked down the organic to $1.99/# so I "bought in bulk" and froze it. Families need to make the best decisions for the situations they find themselves in.

8. I agree that it would be difficult to feed a family on a limited budget on strictly locally-produced meats. Probably the best compromise would be to eat less meat, thereby being able to afford smaller amounts of healthier/more humanely produced meat. It's amazing the mileage I can get out of a whole chicken or a small roast – and believe me, we aren't rolling in the dough ourselves! Most of our meals focus on grains/beans or pastas, with homemade sauces and small amounts of meat as flavoring. Tonight we're having crockpot pork chops (4 chops for 5 people) over brown rice with frozen corn. Tomorrow night, I'll cut up the leftover meat and add it to a huge batch of crock pot beans for pork and bean soup.
    I don't condemn anyone for there choices – I just think sometimes we are so used to do things one certain way that we don't even recognize the possibilities and alternatives that exist.

9. lorecircles says:

My family got the following "Sloppy Joe" recipe from a friend many years ago after enjoying it at her home. I sometimes make it with bison rather than beef.

2 lbs. ground beef
    1 medium onion
    3/4 cup catsup
    2 tbls. sugar
    3 tbls. prepared mustard
    1 tbls. worcestershire sauce
    1 can tomato soup

Brown meat and chopped onion. Drain fat off. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently. Serve on rolls.

Lora

readingcoach (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

10. TheRoosterChick says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe and tips.

11. Anonymous says:

This recipie freezes well when sliced and flash frozen. It is hubby's fav. meatloaf.
    1 egg
    3/4 cup milk
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 pound ground beef
    Mix above ingredients and put into microwave pan. Add this topping: 2/3 cup catsup, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and tsp. mustard.
    Nuke on 70 % power for 15-17 min. Let sit in microwave for another 15. min.
    mmmmmmm
    gourdsrmylife at yahoo dot com
    Marj M.

12. Anonymous says:

thanks for sharing receipes and tips would love to have this cookbook mhsimonton@sbcglobal.net

13. Virginia says:

I just found your site through Moneysavingmom. I am have fun digging through all of your recipes. I’d like to try making the taco meat. How many pounds of ground beef should I use for the ingredients you listed? Thanks for you help and inspiration.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Dishes ground beef taco kits meatballs and red sauce marinated tri-tip marinated top sirloin [...]