Why You Should Love Your Crockpot

The crockpot, or slow cooker, is the busy family manager’s best friend. Or at least it should be! Unfortunately, over time it’s been the most maligned kitchen appliance ever invented. This would be due either to

A. its misuse — just throwing any old junk in a pot doesn’t make a good meal.

B. its unuse — crockpots have gathered dust on the shelf for far too long.

I’ve actually had to retire a crockpot from overuse. I think it lasted us about 5 years of marriage. Our current models (here, here, and here) have lasted us much longer. They, are in fact, some of my very best friends.

Who else will slave away on this delicious meal while I am off galivanting about? I give a few “instructions” before I leave, and dinner’s practically ready when I walk in the door.

Just a Few Reasons Why You Should Love Your Crockpot:

1. This dish is so easy and inexpensive. Carnitas cooked in the crockpot and served on homemade corn tortillas with a dollop of guacamole? Oh yeah. Me thinks you’ll want the recipe.
  2. Homemade chicken stock is the most economical way to enjoy soups, stews, and gravies. The slow cooker will make it for you while you sleep.
  3. Apples turn into sauce before your very eyes. Just toss peeled, cored, and quartered apples into the pot, add a little water to prevent sticking and some lemon juice if browning bothers you. Cook apples until very soft. Stir until the desired consistency. Season to taste with cinnamon and sugar.
  4. Dried beans become a hearty, frugal meal of home-cooked pintos after spending a day with your crockpot.
  5. Chocolate fondue, anyone? Oh yeah. You’re gonna love this one. Chill the leftovers (if any) and hide from your children so you can eat it with a spoon.
  6. This recipe for Salsa Verde Beef is a winner, especially with the men in the family.
  7. The all-time Getskow Family favorite meal can be made in the slow cooker. This stuff is sooooo good. My sister still licks her plate clean!

My slow cooker works for me, and I’m so very thankful. Dust yours off and give it a spin. You’ll be glad you did!

Comments

1. I don't like using our crock pot. I've just never been all that impressed with how it cooks.
    I like my oven better!

But I'll give some of the recipes above a chance…

2. The Real Me! says:

I love my slow cooker!!! I am most definitely going to have to check out some of your recipes!!
    Blessings,
    Kim

3. Sam's mom says:

Thanks! I had been looking for some more crock pot recipes. I have been making some amazing chilis this season and we just returned home from the orchard so I have some apples that need to be sauced!

4. Brandette L says:

I would love your recipe for the homemade corn tortillas to go with the carnitas. We are from CA, just moved to IN 3 years ago and MISS the true mexican food from home. There is nowhere that compares here in Indy. I have tried making some of my own now to fix our cravings. I tried your homemade refried pinto beans a few weeks ago and they were delicious. I will never buy canned again!!

5. Brandette, the tortilla post is in the works. So easy, you will be amazed! Glad you like the pintos!

6. Stephanie says:

I just filled up my crockpot with the makings of chicken and dumplings. Love my crockpot!

7. I love my crockpot but dont use it nearly enough as I should.
    We did a whole fryer chicken on Sat and are finishing up the leftovers today finally :0)

8. just made dinner in mine yesterday–yummy yummy cranberry pork chops!

9. Are you an angel?

Heehee.

I love your sweet adoration for all things "crockpot"!
    Thanks for reminding me to show the love!

10. Jessica :) says:

I'm so excited to try some of these recipes! I am a big fan of crock-pot/slow cooker cooking! It's amazing – and I'm sure I'll love it even more when I have children someday. I'm especially excited to see your pinto bean post because I've been wanting to use dry beans instead of canned to save a bit of money!

11. Brandette L says:

Yeah, Yeah! I was hoping that you would share the tortilla recipe. From one CA to another, THANK YOU! Seeing your reply made me happy. It's the simple things sometimes…LOL

12. Mrs. Querido says:

I LOVE my crockpot! Right now it is slaving away at LASAGNE! :) No precooking of the noodles needed! The less work I have to do on a meal the better…but I still want it to look like I spent hours over a stove…LOL!

We don't normally eat pork…but recently my mom gave me a whole pork roast…and I'm not going to turn down FREE meat! So I will have to check out your carnitas recipe :)

Thanks for sharing Fishmama!

Blessings!

13. You are REALLY inspiring me to do this! I would be a much better home manager if I used it more. My most productive time is the morning. By dinner time, I am uninspired and tired. I am going to have to get some of these on my menu:-)

14. do you ever make your mom's pepper steak recipe in the crockpot?

15. Hoosier Homemade says:

I made the best Beef Stew that I think I've ever made in the Crockpot tonight for dinner. I will be adding your recipes to my list for sure. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

16. Moms In Need Of Mercy says:

we used our crockpot today. I probably use it once a week–it's great!
    HOW DO YOU GET YOUR TORTILLAS TO LOOK SO GOOD?! Mine never look like that! Please share your tips!! :)

17. Since the birth of my daughter, the crock pot has become the most-used appliance in my house (well, second most-used following the dishwasher!)

Thanks for sharing your recipes! I'm always looking for new ones!

18. I am scared to leave mine on while at work. I am frightened I might burn down my house! Am I crazy?

19. You should post a link to this on Crock Pot Wrdnesday! Loved the post, and I love Ll of my slow cookers:)

20. I love my crockpot…it gets used all the time! I make weekly batches of yogurt with it…I also did apple butter this year, which turned out great!