Birthday Cake Scheming….

FishBoy8 will celebrate his 9th birthday on Monday. One of our family birthday traditions is to have a cool birthday cake. The birthday kid usually chooses the theme. This year? He chose this thing.

I’m not really sure what it is. (Go ask your 8 year old sons.) But, we’re gonna have a birthday cake in the shape of this Lego, Bionicle, thing. I kinda pride myself on being up to the challenge of any birthday cake idea. So, the race is on.

I think I see more black fondant in my future.

Tune in next week for the continuing saga of “Drive Your Mother Crazy with a Weird Birthday Cake Theme.”

Comments

1. Money Saving Maine-iac says:

Funny! I had know idea what this was so I called my 10 year old son over and asked him what it was and right he said, "Oh Yeah, that's a Bionicle hand shooter." LOL! I really was a thinking he would say "I have know idea"!

2. I showed the pic to my kids and they knew exactly what that Lego Bionicle thing was. :)

When I see that thing in a birthday cake…I am not sure that I could do it 3D but I would make a cake in a bowl and then frost ice cream sugar cones as the spikes. :)

It will be interesting to see what you come up with for a cake. :)

3. Wow-quite the challenge! Can't wait to see the final pix. P made her own cake this year-"queen cakes" from a colonial recipe. All I had to do was buy rosewater and currents. She made it easy on me this year :)

4. Yes, ice cream cones are part of my plan. ;)

5. gfe--gluten free easily says:

I used to love the birthday cake challenges my son gave me. I think the best was an Army tank, but I made cakes of dinosaurs, Legos, snowmen (BD in Jan–easy), etc. Yes, I'd say two bowls and numerous ice cream cones will do the trick for this one. ;-)

Shirley

6. Amy@ MomsToolbox says:

Oh I love a fun birthday cake!!!!
    I made an Indiana Jones Lego one for my son's 6th (complete with gummy worms between the layers).

I'm actually about to frost a layer cake and build some Lego creation on top for our school auction tonight.
    I think I might buy another copy of your ebook of cool cake ideas and put it with the cake as an added bonus to bid on….

Can't wait to see what you create! Looks like an adventure!!

7. Good luck with that one!!

8. Your Frugal Friend, Niki says:

I see some ice cream cones in your future with that design!

9. Lindsey Swinborne says:

Perfect timing for this post for me! Today I'm attempting a monster truck cake for my son's birthday tomorrow. He'll be three!

10. Wow. I've done a dragon, train, dirt, and some other birthday cakes. But certainly nothing as obscure and difficult as "the thing"!

11. Carolina Ospina says:

My son loves bionicles and has a birthday coming up soon. It would be great to see what you come up with.

12. My "baby" turns 12 tomorrow. He always requests a fun cake. This year he was chocolate icing, with a dancing purple banana on top. {shrug} I don't know where he comes up the ideas :-)