New Year’s Traditions: Bake a New Year’s Cake

Photobucket

As you know, we’re big on birthday cakes around here. So it only follows that we would make the New Year a “birthday” cake as well. We’ve been doing this for quite some time. I can’t even remember when it started. And we usually get a photo of all the kids around the cake that we eat either on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day. It’s amazing to see how our kids grow and change over the years.

Bake a cake with your kids. Enlist their help in decorating and make sure that you have number candles to signify the year. 2010? Wow! Time flies, so have some fun!

What special dessert do you make at New Year’s?

For more ideas on what can work for your family, visit We Are That Family.

Comments

1. hallee@halleethehomemaker.com says:

What an awesome tradition!

2. I liked this tradition. Is there a special recipe that you use each year or does it vary?

3. Lisa @ Simply Things Family says:

What a great idea! We use New Years Eve to eat whatever we want. It is the one night a year that I am a short order cook.

4. My husband's family introduced me to the tradition of black-eyed peas and greens (usually collard greens) on New Year's Day. I don't know if it is a Southern Tradition or not, but it signifies health and prosperity for the New Year.

I might like the cake idea better!

5. What a neat idea:-)

6. Kimberly Kihega says:

What a great idea! I'm going to start this this year. Happy New Year!

7. Christy, the Notable Blogger says:

I really like this idea. We can't do it, because we bake a Jesus birthday cake for Christmas, a cake for my son's birthday on December 28, and another for my firstborn daughter's birthday on January 1. Even dividing the cake up among eight people…that's a lot of cake. Still, the idea is terrific! Your children are adorable…which you know, I'm sure. ;)

Joining the challenge!

8. kristinevans says:

Love this idea! Going to start this year except my child won't be able to help much since he's only 6 weeks old. But having the pictures start now will be fun to look back at!

9. amyswandering says:

This is such a cute idea!