- Life As Mom - http://lifeasmom.com -
Single Best Town Announced – Three Lakes, Wisconsin
Posted By Jessica Fisher On April 21, 2010 @ 3:48 pm In Announcements | 14 Comments
I’m a sucker for small, Midwestern towns. My mom grew up in the Mississippi river town of Winona, Minnesota, and I have found memories of strolling the old downtown. Makes me nostalgic for the old days — even though I was born in the 70’s.
So it comes as no surprise to me that a smaller community would be chosen as “the Single Best Town in America.”
Awhile back I shared with you a fun contest sponsored by Kraft  and featured in Family Fun magazine. Americans were asked to nominate their own hometowns as “the Single Best Town in America.” While I do live in “America’s Finest City” — that’s San Diego’s moniker — my town, alas, was not one of the finalists.
Instead, these fine communities were ranked in the top ten:
1. Three Lakes, Wis. – Home to the world’s largest chain of inland lakes, its close-knit downtown features many quaint buildings and coffee shops.
2. Bell Buckle, Tenn. – From a town that was once gray and frayed to what is now a patchwork of painted awnings and appliquéd gingerbread-trimmed porches, this town is as quaint as can be.
3. Gastonia, N.C. – Gastonia’s mayor, local business and more than 1,000 volunteers united to form the Hope 4 Gaston charity to improve their community.
4. Girard, Ill. – Residents visit the popular Doc’s Soda Fountain, established in 1950s, for nickel and dime candies and handmade sodas and milk shakes.
5. Colorado Springs, Colo. – With ever-changing aspens, clear blue skies, red rocks and snow-capped mountains, this town is filled with history, culture and diversity.
6. Twinsburg, Ohio – Holding the Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of multiples in the world, this town hosts the popular Twins Day Festival every year.
7. Richmond, Mich. – Good Old Days festival and parade features annual Outhouse Races, which takes months of preparation.
8. Hamburg, N.Y. – People from all over flock to the town’s annual Burger fest to enter the hamburger contest, listen to live music and join the Burger, Beds and Buns race.
9. Augusta, Ga. – Home of the Master’s Golf Tournament, this town is full of gardens, rich history and programs to help people in need.
10. Lexington, Ky. – The Horse Capital of the World has everything a horse lover would ever want: horse parks, famous races and historic race tracks.
Three Lakes was the chosen favorite, and it sounds like a great place to live or to visit. I love those Mid-western downtown areas. So comforting and quaint! And from the looks of it, there’s no shortage of fishing and water sports to enjoy. The community of Three Lakes will receive a block party, featuring the band Love and Theft . Congratulations, Three Lakes!
Disclosure: I have partnered with KRAFT Foods to help promote the “Single Best Town” in America program. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program, which includes writing about my own hometown experiences and hosting a giveaway where the prize has been provided by KRAFT Singles. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.
Have you ever visited one of the finalist towns?
Article printed from Life As Mom: http://lifeasmom.com
URL to article: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/04/single-best-town-announced-three-lakes-wisconsin.html
URLs in this post:
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifeasmom/oGdA
 free updates via email: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=lifeasmom/oGdA
 my free seasonal newsletter: http://eepurl.com/q47Vb
 Image: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/04/single-best-town-announced-three-lakes-wisconsin.html/threelakes
 Three Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce: http://www.threelakes.com/
 a fun contest sponsored by Kraft: http://family.go.com/best-town-contest/finalists/my-hometown-23652/
 a block party, featuring the band Love and Theft: http://family.go.com/best-town-contest/prize/
Copyright © 2011 Life As Mom. All rights reserved.