DIY Smoothie Bar

My kids love to eat. And they love to cook. They also love to make some messes along the way. Recently, I came to terms with that cook-mess-eat reality. Afterall, I’m probably going to make a mess, too. So, I might as well say, “Yes!” and let them help. We can make memories and messes all at the same time. Oh, yes, yes, we can.

And since smoothies are a favorite treat around here, we tested out a Do-It-Yourself Smoothie Bar recently. I laid out all the ingredients we had on hand: orange juice, milk, V-8, plain yogurt (and flavored), ripe bananas, blueberries, and crushed ice.

We are blessed to own a Magic Bullet. Yes, it’s one of those hokey “As Seen on TV” gadgets, but it’s actually great for a lot of things, including individualized smoothies. So, I dug out all of our “party mugs” so each kid could assembly his own smoothie. You could easily do this with a standard blender, just rinse the pitcher after each child’s turn. It will take a tad longer, but that’s okay. You’re a Yes-Mom today.

Needless to say, FishChick loved it that she could do it herself.

Blending….

This works extremely well for a light lunch or cool afternoon snack. I felt good that everything my children were eating was good for them. I even let them have seconds. And thirds.

I can, too, be a Yes-Mom.

Don’t forget to visit DIY Day for more do-it-yourself inspiration.

Comments

1. I have always wanted a magic bullet – when I used to see the add – and then when I would see it in the store. Perhaps I might just get one yet.

Creating memories with our kids is so very special for you and for them. My boys are 18,17 and 13 and they are already saying “remember when …”

Keep up the good work mom!

2. Hattie says:

Oooooo…I have all of those ingredients in my freezer, as well as strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries…I think I see a smoothie snack in our future this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon…:)

3. Melissa says:

I just wanted to tell you I love these “Yes-Mom” posts. They are so encouraging and reminded me that I, too, want to be a “Yes-Mom”.

Thanks.

4. Stacie says:

We have been blessed recently with a Magic Bullet and LOVE IT! We use it at least once a day. My son gets on the school bus at 6:30 so he usually has a smoothie because it’s so quick and delicious!

5. We love our Magic Bullet too! It’s the best thing for smoothies, salsa and purees. Smoothies are a regular during the summer, especially with frozen berries. So yummy!

6. I love the magic bullet. We got one as a gift and use it at least 3 times a week to make milkshakes.

7. So I have a question more about the Bullet. Have you used it to make things like dip? I’m looking for something small to blend spinach or make hummus. I’m so leery of buying anything.

• Stacie says:

@Creative2xmom,
      Basically, you put everything in the “bullet” and blend it. It’s super easy to clean up as well. Go to YouTube search for Magic Bullet and it shows how to use it. So simple! I suggest you look for one on Ebay, they’re cheapest there!

I regularly make salsa in it, so I imagine hummus would work fine.

• @Creative2xmom,
      The Magic Bullet comes with a recipe book, and there is actually hummus recipes in there. I just got mine for Mother’s Day- haven’t used it yet- but I’ve been looking through the recipe book, excited to try it out. Yummy stuff!

8. Bianca says:

I am so happy to have found your site!! I am trying to be a yes-mom too..Thanks for the encouragement..

9. Yummy!!

10. what a great idea for kids! i can’t wait until my son is older and we can do these types of things together :)

11. Love this post! I think it’s a great idea. Pre-motherhood, I did smoothies a lot for a to-go breakfast. Whenever I saw that we had a few bananas that were about to go bad, I would peel them and put them in a baggie in the freezer for future smoothies. It’s a great way to not waste those bananas.

My daughter is only 16 months, but I’m looking forward to doing do it yourself salad bars when our family is larger.

12. Thanks for sharing these look very yummy. I need a blender to make these, something I have been thinking about getting. My daughter loves smoothies! Happy Mother’s Day!

13. Jennifer says:

I really enjoy the “yes-mom” posts. Keep them coming! We love our magic bullet. I bought ours to make baby food a couple years ago, and it worked great. We use it to make salsa, and milkshakes. Next smoothies. I’ve avoided smoothies, for some reason I thought they would be too hard. Silly me! We will be pulling ours out for dessert tonight. Thanks for the idea.

14. My sis is looking for a good and tasty protein powder to add to her smoothies. Unfortunately, she has spent a lot of moola trying to find one that doesn’t taste so weird. Any suggestions???

• @Mary, I don’t know about protein powder, but Costco sells a fat free, high protein Greek yogurt called Fage. It has 20g of protein per serving. It works wonders in smoothies.