Poblano Chile Enchiladas (Ultimate Recipe Swap: Rich Flavors)

Ultimate Recipe Swap

This week at Good Cheap Eats, we’re talking about those random, but rich ingredients that make the rest of your pantry zing with flavor. Think vinegar, soy sauce, ethnic sauces, chile peppers, rich cheese, and the like. Some of these items may be a little pricier than other pantry staples, but they pack a punch of flavor. Usually a little goes a long way.

One of my very favorite dinners in the whole wide world is this one. In the early years of our marriage, I discovered a recipe called, “Chile Relleno Enchiladas.” It was very similar to this one, except that it called for red salsa. Red salsa mixed with sour cream looked a little too much like Pepto Bismol. Not really that appetizing. So, as with most recipes, I started tweaking so that we could make a family favorite.

And did we ever! This is the one dish that FishPapa and I “fight over.” That is to say, I keep track. We divide them, even-Steven. They are that good.

Our kids don’t really care for them, but that’s okay. More for us! We had it for our Anniversary Dinner at home and it was delish!

Poblano Chile Enchiladas - rich and spicy enchiladas filled with roasted poblano chiles and topped with a salsa verde-sour cream sauce.

Got a recipe rich in flavor?

Share it with us for this week’s Ultimate Recipe Swap! Leave your recipe in the comment section or drop the permalink in good ole’ Mr. Linky.

Next Week: Recipes that Feature Tomatoes

Comments

1. The enchiladas look fantastic! We love mexican here so this is a keeper, thanks!

2. I’m thinking your enchiladas will be dinner for us on Friday night… YUM! Can’t wait to make them!

3. Oops. I must have misread the list and thought this week was Tomatoes. Guess I’ll have to bring the tomatoes back next week….now, let’s see, what can I share this week?

4. Hmmm… I think this would be a grown-ups only dish at our house as well. Maybe we’ll try it for our stay-at-home date night!

5. Michelle Z. says:

I make something really similar with leftover chicken or turkey. All the ingredients are the same except for the poblanos. We always make them the day after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey.

6. Those enchiladas sound really good. I love how it have only a handful of ingredients.

7. That looks tasty!!

8. Awesome! But why don’t you make your own salsa verde? It’s so easy! Take 10-12 tomatillos, remove husks and place in sauce pan with enough water to cover. Boil for about 10-12 minutes. Remove tomatillos with slotted spoon & place in food processor (keep water!). Take 1/4 white or sweet onion and put chunks into food processor bowl. Put large handful of cilantro and approx 1 Tbsp salt into bowl. Depending on how hot you want it, add either 1 jalepeno or 1 serrano pepper, with or without seeds, to bowl. Process all and add water from tomatillos as necessary to make it the right consistency. So yummy!

I made it once when we lived in Kansas and every store was out of salsa verde. But, we didn’t like it as well. But, I’m thinking of trying it again. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. Looks easy. I wonder, if I could make it several hours before dinner and refrigerate it until needed.

10. I love the recipe– I think I’ll try it with some leftover turkey I’ve been needing to use. Thanks!

11. Fun swap! Love that linky thingy. :) I’m always looking for what to cook, so this is great! thank you!!

12. I have 2 jars of salsa verde from a bean enchilada that tasted horrible. These jars have been having over my head and making me feel guilty. I bought them and now I need to use them, by gone!

Perfect timing! Since we cook so similarly (though you wouldn’t know that since I don’t write a blog and we don’t actually know each other…bummer), I’m sure I’m going to love it. And what husband wouldn’t love something made with sour cream and cheese…I mean!

• @Shelah, ;)

Just be careful with the salsa verde. I made a mistake buying a store brand last year and it was terribly, terribly sweet. It made these enchiladas awful. AWFUL. I threw some out, they were so bad.

13. My family loves Mexican food … though we tend to go light on the spice. Your recipe looks delicious!

14. Ugh. I was trying to link up to your Frugal Friday linky and I ended up linking here…….I’m a dork. I pushed the tab button and something funny happened with that – I think that is where I messed up. Anyway, I’m sorry! Feel free to remove me from this link-up since I don’t have a recipe to share!

15. Thank you so much for sharing this super enchilada recipe! My dd27 made it for us tonight and it is great!

I have an Italian Green Bean recipe on my site at present.

Thank you so much for sharing and your courtesy. : ) Blessings!

16. I LOVE enchiladas and am always onthe prowl for new ways to make them. These look scrumptious!!

17. Hi Fishmama!

I made this tonight and they are delicious! I substituted fat-free greek yogurt for sour cream and added some leftover chicken to the insides. Really yummy and decadent! Thanks for sharing!!

18. Lindsay says:

OMG!!! I tried these tonight and they were A-Mazing! Thank you for this recipe. I was a little intimidated by roasting the peppers but it wasn’t hard at all : )

19. centsability says:

I just made these tonight. They are sooo tasty and super easy to make. They were perfect on a hot night. A question about roasting the poblanos: What is the purpose of poking a hole in them before roasting? Because I realized afterwards that I forgot to do it but didn’t notice any issues (like exploding chiles). Just wondering for next time. Thanks!

20. This looks so wonderful and just the thing to treat my husband to this weekend. We had an abundance of poblanos in our garden last year and ate them for several weeks straight and occasionally pulled one or two out of the freezer over the winter (huzzah for roasted/frozen poblanos). Our yield this fall isn’t anything like last year, but I can surely eek out six peppers from our garden for this! :D

21. These look delicious! How spicey are they? I’m a wimp and can’t handle anything above mild.

@Becky, that is hard to say. Sometimes our chiles haven’t been hot at all. Other times they are super spicy. You could just taste the chile and then add less if it’s too spicy for you.

22. Adding these items to my grocery list now, but what type of cheese do you use (the shredded one)? Thanks!

23. OMG this sounds fantastic! I will get some poblanos at the farmers market next week so I can make this. Can’t wait. Such a pretty plate you have served it on too. I love pretty dishes.

24. I made this for dinner last night. Very yummy. I made the salsa verde from scratch. When I mixed the salsa with the sour cream I wanted to just eat that sauce like a bowl of soup! So good! I am already thinking of other ways to use that sauce. I also used about twice as much cheese as you called for because we love cheesiness. Thanks for such a yummy recipe!

25. Kurtzmama says:

Do you freeze these?

• I don’t freeze the enchiladas. There are too many things in here that could go wrong (homemade tortillas, sour cream) upon freezing. I often buy a load of peppers, roast, peel, and freeze those so that putting the enchiladas together is much easier.