Freezer Smoothies, Summer Recipes & An Ultimate Recipe Swap

Ultimate Recipe Swap

Hot? Sweaty? Ready to cool off? Well, today’s the day to share your favorite summer recipes on Ultimate Recipe Swap.

Summer favorites usually lend themselves to being quick to prepare without heating up the kitchen. Often they are on the cooler side, like salads and chilled sandwiches. But BBQ, grilled meats, or even an easy crockpot chili, perfect summertime fare, certainly won’t leave you out in the cold.

Our family loves to have smoothies. When you think about it, smoothies are to milkshakes what muffins are to cupcakes, eh? Mom’s effort to healthify a treat that kids love.

So Fun

First let the kids help. A DIY Smoothie Bar is a great way to enjoy summertime meals. Don’t sigh too much about the drips on the counter. Being a “Yes Mom” really does feel good.

One thing that I recently tested was making smoothies ahead of time and freezing them. While blending a smoothie really doesn’t take that long, I wanted a quick, cold snack to hand to the kids before I sent them outside. Freezer Smoothies are just the ticket!

I bought 2 dozen Ball freezer jars at Walmart for about $0.50 each. These are 8 ounce plastic cups with screw-on lids. They are specially designed for freezing, yet are also dishwasher and microwave safe.

So Easy

I simply blended up several different smoothie mixtures and froze them. The kids can grab one and either let it thaw on the counter for a few minutes or nuke it for 20 seconds on half power for a perfect slushie consistency.

Within a week all two dozen were quickly consumed. We’re ready for another round of smoothie making.

So Simple

Smoothie making can be really simple. Just blend different combinations of fruits, juices, and ice. To make dairy-based smoothies, try adding some yogurt and milk. I even used homemade fruit jam to flavor the latest batches of smoothies.

You’ll find that different kids like different flavors and ingredients. Some of mine prefer just juice and berries. Others will enjoy all kinds of combinations. An old-time favorite of mine is The Red Banana.

Test out some of your favorites fruits and see what combinations you like best. And then keep your freezer stocked for all sorts of cool snacking this summer.

What’s a Summer recipe you enjoy at your house?

Share it on Ultimate Recipe Swap! Here’s how to participate in:

1. Post your recipe on your blog. Please mention www.lifeasMOM.com in your post so that your readers know where all the other good recipes are hanging out. Then, come back here to add the link to your post to Mr. Linky below. (Find instructions for Mr. Linky here.) OR

2. If you don’t have a blog, simply post your recipe or tell us about it in the comments section.

3. Above all, please stick to topic. Most weeks there is a theme, this week is summer.

Have a story to go along with your recipe? We’d love to hear it!

Coming up next week: Fourth of July Recipes

Comments

1. I like the idea of using my ball freezer jars to freeze smoothies. So much healthier than handing them an ice-cream bar and just as tasty!

2. Great idea! I’ve been making popsicles, but this would be a fun, healthy option too!

3. Great ideas! Love the smoothie thing! I just posted a chicken salad that we LOVE to make in the summer! Thanks!

4. THank you for hosting this! I need some cool summer recipes! :D

5. I didn’t know that Ball made plastic freezer jars and am so going to the store today! This is a brilliant idea and I would love to have a more healthy snack on hand when my granddaughter comes to visit. And the jars would be better than popsicles because you wouldn’t have the drippy mess. Thanks!

6. we’ve been eating smoothies as of late. my hubby loves them in the summerh time. for his birthday i bought a cuisinart blender stick. it’s been getting a work out at least 2x a day. even i’ve been using it. this morning it was strawberry, cantalope, and apple. i’ve not been using dairy, just adding about 1/4 c. of water with the fruit to get the consistency i like. such a good and easy way to eat your fruit.

7. I’m hoping to link up, but until Mr. Linky starts working again, here is the post I wrote about our DIET FRIENDLY smoothies! Yum!

8. Sarah G says:

Want a great way to use rhubarb? The two clumps are abundantly providing in my MN garden this year!

Rhubarb slushies are a perfect summer cool-down.

8 C cut up rhubarb
    2 quarts water
    1 and1/2 C sugar
    1/2 C lemon juice

Bring above to boil and simmer till tender and rhubarb falls apart (10-15 minutes).

Strain into ice cream pail, placing a sieve, lined with 2 layers of cheesecloth, into the bucket first (put bucket and all in the kitchen sink). Use a big enough piece of cheesecloth, so you have something to hold onto and not get the hot liquid on your hands, when you pull up the edges to squeeze out juice. Using tongs, squeeze out as much juice as you can, catching it in the ice cream pail. Discard pulp.

Add one 3 ounce pkg. stawberry jello. Mix in thoroughly. .

Cool to room temp and then freeze overnight or longer.

Eat as is or add sprite for a summer spritzer.

Even non-rhubarb eaters will like it!

9. I’ve never thought about freezing smoothies like that. I love those little containers.
    Thanks so much for hosting!
    -Liz

10. Caroline says:

This is a fantastic idea! I make smoothie “kits” for the frig (everything you need, just dump in the blend, add ice and blend), but this is even better since my husband likes it for breakfast, now we won’t need to worry about a loud blender early in the morning! Thanks!

11. When Linky is back up, I’ll share my recipe there, but in the meantime…

Wake Up Your Eggs With Horseradish and Dill

Use your garden veggies in this one for a healthy, easy breakfast!
    xoxo

12. I love the Ball jar idea! I already have a lot on hand plus the white plastic lids. Having a freezer stash of smoothies would be so helpful this summer since we’re expecting warmer than normal temps.

Since Mister Linky is down, here’s my post and I’ll come back later to put up the link:

13. That’s brilliant! I love the idea of freezing smoothies – not just for the kids, but for me, too. Thanks!

14. This is ingenious. I have been looking for a way to make smoothies easily in the morning. This is perfect, thank you!

15. Lee Ann says:

LOVE the freezing idea!
    Our favorite smoothie is:
    -frozen bananas (I chop them when they’re getting ripe and old and store in freezer bags)
    - peanut butter
    -yogurt
    -milk
    -spinach
    -blueberries

Yummy!!!!

16. MMmm, those smoothies look good. I always chop and freeze mangoes, they are so delicious to pop into a smoothie!
    Thanks for hosting!

17. Love the Ball freezer jar idea! I also love making smoothies all year long – healthy and delicious.

18. I’ve never thought of freezing smoothies! Thanks for the idea!
    Gina

19. Those look so good!! Love Ball freezer jars!

20. Melissa says:

Genius! Gonna try this tonight!!

21. My mom started this and now i have been copying the idea. She freezes banana slice’s for smoothies or a cool treat on a hot day. Just slice the bananas, freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet, once frozen stick them in a freezer bag. My little one loves them as a snack but it also makes it easier for smoothies because we know we always have bananas in the house and they never go bad.

22. Thanks for Hosting! I love making Pies during the summer using all the yummy local fresh berries, peaches, cherries, etc…

23. kathleen says:

I seen in comments one person put veggies in smoothies. Does anyone else do it? What veggies and do the kids notice. My 3 oldest are great about eating veggies, but my youngest wants no parts of them. I’m thinking he would love smoothies and I can sneak some veggies in.

24. jessica says:

i made some strawberry popsicles…just mashed them up and froze them without adding anything. The smoothies would be good to freeze in the molds too…hmmmm!

25. The freezing containers remind me of the ones I use when freezing my breastmilk! LOL

26. This post has inspired me. First, I never knew about the freezer jars. The same day this was posted I had to go and buy some. Second, the idea of freezer smoothies is absolutely brilliant. I’ve made some for the kids in the 8 oz. and some 16oz. for me. I grab one in the morning and by mid-morning it’s fantastic.

Someone mentioned adding veggies. I do this also, just when the kids aren’t watching! I buy the baby spinach, wash, and flash freeze it. Throw a handful or two in the blender and it hides perfectly with some blueberries. The kids drink them up and have no clue. I love it!