Fall has always been a favorite season of mine. Pumpkin patches, apple picking and crunching leaves work together to create an atmosphere of fun and exploration for children. Over the years we’ve collected acorns, gone on hay rides, and gone apple tasting. I’ve even broken some rules and climbed apple trees that weren’t supposed to be climbed.
Oh yes, yes, I did.
Between all the outdoor fun you can have with your kids during fair weather and the great books, crafts, and snacks to make inside, you’re set for making beautiful memories this autumn.
- Make apple prints
- Collect leaves and fall flowers and preserve them between sheets of waxed paper
- Create papier mache (sorta) acorns.
- Bring the outdoors in and arrange displays of pinecones, leaves, acorns, and sticks.
- Involve the kids in helping to make Taco Soup in the crockpot.
- Make Slab Apple Pies – so delicious and so easy for kids to help
- Apple Crowns are a healthier alternative to ice cream sundaes.
- Decorate some fall flower cupcakes.
Recipe: Sunflower & Mums Cupcakes
- 1 batch cupcakes, baked according to package directions
- 1 batch Homemade Buttercream, tinted yellow
- chocolate chips
- candy corn
- Frost cupcakes with a thin layer of frosting.
- For sunflowers: Place candy corn around edges, tips pointing out. Fill center with chocolate chips, tips pointing up.
- For mums: Place candy corn in frosting, tips pointing up. Cover surface of cake.
- Walk through the woods and collect leaves and acorns.
- Go apple picking.
- Visit the pumpkin patch.
- Rake leaves and jump in the piles.
- Have a bonfire and toast marshmallows.