Chocolate Minty Melts

We made a wonderful discovery this  month when we were baking our Christmas Cookies. Oh my! What a happy accident!

Years ago I discovered this recipe for Chocolate Mint Snow Top Cookies. It was basically a chocolate crackle gone minty. I tweaked the original in altering the form of baking chocolate used. But, I’ve been meaning to try this tweak for quite some time.

This year, I finally did it. I took the basic dough, thickened it with a tad more flour, simplified it with cocoa, and then put a mint chocolate Hershey kiss in the center.

I assumed that the kiss would hold its shape when I baked it. Obviously, I don’t regularly bake with Hershey’s kisses, because they did not. The first batch had half melted kisses in the center. Kind of like lopsided party hats.

I quickly googled “peanut butter blossoms” and Facebooked my woes only to discover that you’re supposed to put the kiss on after baking. Well, that still resulted in half melted kisses in the center.

See how the heat from the cookie is migrating up the chocolate mountain? The chocolate kiss eventually sank into itself.

Well, I don’t like to look at ugly cookies. So, I played around. I poked the little tip into the pool of melted chocolate and found that I liked the look better. I got out my offset spatula and set out to smoothing the tops of all the kisses. And I love the look! And the taste. Oh my!

You have to try these this year.

Comments

1. Kristen deweese says:

We are making these right now!! Been waiting for this recipe so I guessed what ingredients I might need! I was right!

2. Amy Auger says:

When I make peanut butter kisses you bake the cookie for 8 or so minutes first and then add the kisses before baking the final 2-3 minutes. The kisses maintain their shape that way!!! Give it a try :)

3. OOOOoooooo, those look so yummy!

4. I’m going to add these to my cookie baskets for sure! Thanks!

5. i add my kissses when the cookies come out of the oven, then pop them in the freezer for a min or two. (Just don’t forget them in there! We discovered a plate of cookies tonight that we forgot yesterday when we were baking!)

6. Stop it now! You’re SO making me drool on my keyboard. I think I know what we’re doing tomorrow afternoon….

7. These look sooooo good! We’re planning to bake some cookies today, and I briefly thought about changing which ones…but I don’t have any Kisses. *Sigh* Maybe next week!!!

8. Koren Oldham says:

I have the same problem every year with the kiss melting. This year my kisses were frozen and the result was perfect looking cookies! I had stocked up on a Hershey kiss sale so they were stored in the freezer. Doing this for sure next time as well.

9. I’m thinking that this might also be good with a Hershey Cherry Kiss. Even if the cookie’s not chocolate.

10. I printed out this recipe this morning and have a question: the first paragraph of the directions mentions “beat in melted chocolate…” Am I not seeing it, or is there something missing about melted chocolate? Thanks!

It was a typo. I took my old recipe and tweaked it and didn’t edit it properly. The directions should now be correct on this post. Sorry for the confusion!

11. What happens with the brown sugar? I don’t see it in the instructions -so I wasn’t sure if it should be in there or not! Thanks!

It’s fixed. I must have been asleep when I edited the recipe. Sorry.

• @Jessica Fisher, I just left out the brown sugar since I had already mixed the batter up. I think they turned out great – and so did my family!

I put the kisses on after I baked the cookies, hoping they would keep their shape (even though you had said yours melted). And, of course, you were right – they did melt. I had made the peanut butter blossoms last week and although the plain kisses get soft when you put them on the cookie after baking, they don’t melt away like the mint. When you eat a mint kiss, you can tell they are much softer to begin with that a regular kiss. I think that’s why they just melt away.

Anyway, great recipe Jessica!

12. Hmmm, looks so good! Since I’m not a big fan of minty, I’ll just eliminate the peppermint and hopefully they still turn out!

13. I just made these today and they are so yummy! I didn’t have any Hershey’s kisses, so I crushed some peppermint candy canes and sprinkled on top of the cookies and they came out great!

14. I would love to try these cookies. Until I read the comments though, I thought the mint Kisses was a typo. I cannot find them anywhere!!! I tried the grocery store and Walgreens. Does anyone know if Walmart has them? Somewhere else? Help, please.

@Pamela J, I bought them at Walmart.

• @Jessica Fisher,

Are you sure these are the Chocolate Mint Kisses and not the Mint Truffle Kisses? I didn’t see any at Target today, but I’ve been missing them for the past few years. If Wal-mart has them, my wallet is going to empty out quickly.

To be honest, I didn’t read the bag very carefully. It said Mint and Hersheys. The inside of the candy is green if that helps. So, it could quite possibly be a mint truffle. ;)

15. Those look awesome! I just started my holiday baking and I’m looking forward to hopefully trying new recipes for this holiday season.

16. We just made these cookies yesterday, and they are as good as they look. I’m so glad that I doubled the recipe! Here are some pictures of my children enjoying cookies, the older two children. We’re mean parents and don’t let our children have cookies and such until they turn one. Poor Rachel is only 10 months old.

17. I’ve made these twice…so good! I used the candy cane kisses and regular milk choc kisses. (couldn’t find the mint choc ones…will be on the lookout) I rolled some with powdered sugar and some with regular sugar coating…all delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!

18. I went to 3 different stores looking for the mint kisses and had to settle for junior mints. Can’t wait to try these tomorrow!

19. These are my husband’s new FAVORITE cookies! I added them to my Christmas cookie list this year since he loves anything with chocolate and mint. I made half with candy cane kisses and half with mint truffle kisses (dark chocolate with green on the inside). They are both delicious. I’m pretty sure I will be making them frequently.