This week is all about getting good habits going. And one good habit to institute if you haven’t already is being prepared in the event of car trouble. We’ve all had those mishaps when our wheels let us down. I know we have.
Oh yes, yes, we have.
There was the time when we blew out the engine on the Questa Grade. Oh — and how ’bout the day that the radiator started spewing hot green fluid at me when a hose burst. And when FishPapa came to rescue me, his truck broke down?
And then there was that time when the deer ran into the old pickup.
Yes, we’ve had our share of roadside mishaps. Thankfully, no one has ever been seriously injured. Well, except that deer.
And, thankfully, we’ve always had good insurance — and a handy tow truck — when we needed it.
While we can’t completely control everything that happens to us on the road — even brand new cars break down — there are some things that we can do to be a little more prepared.
You might consider keeping the following in your vehicle “just in case.”
- a cell phone and car charger or phone card to use at a pay phone
- change for parking meter or parking garage
- chains, if you live in areas that get heavy snow and icy conditions
- a roadside emergency kit that contains jumper cables, flares, a flashlight, and gloves
- non-perishable snacks and bottled water
- an empty gas can
But “stuff” isn’t all we need.
I confess to not really soaking up Coach Crummett’s lectures in Driver’s Ed. And I’ve been happy to shrug at not knowing how to change a tire. What’s Auto Club for, after all?
Over the years, however, I’ve learned that a little street smarts come in handy when you decide to hit the open road.
State Farm has launched a new Auto Learning Center to help you know what you need to know about car insurance, preventing accidents, and how to deal with all kinds of roadside issues. You can even take a quiz to test your Auto Insurance IQ.
Be Prepared on the Road
Valued at $155, the gift set includes:
- Garmin Nuvi 1300 4.3″ GPS Navigator – $120
- State Farm-Branded Roadside Emergency Kit – $35 Kit includes: 12 ft, heavy duty jumper cables, 300psi air compressor with accessories, 12 ft nylon tow strap, flashlight with batteries, 2-in-1 screwdriver, slip joint pliers, industrial cutter, and work gloves, all in a rugged carrying case with reflective taping and handle.
Would you like a Road Safety Kit?
Simply leave a comment, sharing your most recent car trouble woe.
One comment will be randomly selected and the reader notified via email. Comments will be open until Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 8 pm, PST. Winner will have 48 hours to respond in order to claim the kit.
This giveaway is now closed. Congrats to the winner: katie_e_quinn@
Disclosure: I received a Road Safety kit as well.
For more inspiration, check out Get a Good Habit Going.