- Life As Mom - http://lifeasmom.com -
4 Small Ways to Observe President’s Day
Posted By Jessica Fisher On February 19, 2011 @ 2:00 am In Learning | 10 Comments
Monday is President’s Day, originally recognized as Washington’s Birthday. While it may be a school holiday for some, that doesn’t mean you have to take a break from learning.
Investigate the reason for the holiday in the first place and observe the day in small ways:
1. Read a biography of a past president. It doesn’t need to be dry. In fact, there are quite a few novels out there based on the lives of presidents. We enjoyed Duel in the Wilderness , about George Washington’s life while he was a young explorer and surveyer.
2. Bake a Cherry Pie. Despite what the historians say, I will always associate Georgie boy with cherries. So, live it up and make a pie together. Your kids will love it. You could make Sweet Cherry Pie  or try Bakerella’s Cherry Pie Pops  — so cute — or these cute individual pie pots  from Our Best Bites.
3. Watch a children’s video together. Last year when we studied the American War for Independence, we watched The Liberty Kids series. 
4. Take a virtual tour of Mount Vernon . I’ve never been to the East Coast. But, I’ve heard that Mount Vernon is beautiful. You can click around with your kids on their website and even watch a movie about the historical site.
I’d love to hear it.
Article printed from Life As Mom: http://lifeasmom.com
URL to article: http://lifeasmom.com/2011/02/4-small-ways-to-observe-presidents-day.html
URLs in this post:
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifeasmom/oGdA
 free updates via email: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=lifeasmom/oGdA
 my free seasonal newsletter: http://eepurl.com/q47Vb
 Image: http://lifeasmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/george-washington.jpg
 Duel in the Wilderness: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879351306?ie=UTF8&tag=oflwtf-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0879351306
 Sweet Cherry Pie: http://goodcheapeats.com/2009/07/sweet-cherry-pie/
 Bakerella’s Cherry Pie Pops: http://www.bakerella.com/easy-as-pie/
 these cute individual pie pots: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/single-serving-pie-in-jar.html
 The Liberty Kids series.: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B73PO4?ie=UTF8&tag=oflwtf-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001B73PO4
 virtual tour of Mount Vernon: http://www.mountvernon.org/visit/index.cfm//cfid/1803741/cftoken/39916237
Copyright © 2011 Life As Mom. All rights reserved.