Doesn’t Broccoli and Cauliflower soup sound delicious for a wintry day? Aunt Sandy’s version is full of vegetables and cheese. Yum!
When I was a child, my family spent each summer driving from California to Minnesota and back again. My parents were from Minnesota and so we spent a month or two visiting the grandparents and our many aunts and uncles and cousins each year.
Most of my relatives are fabulous cooks, so it was always an eating adventure. One summer my Aunt Sandy welcomed us to her South Dakota home with a big pot of this Broccoli Caulifower Soup. It was so warm and comforting. Yum!
With her permission, I’m sharing it with you, with slight adaptations.
Recipe: Aunt Sandy’s Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, combine the broth and vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the milk.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour, whisking until smooth.
- Add this mixture to the stockpot, stirring until well combined. Stir in the cheeses and simmer until melted and well combined, stirring.
- If desired, blend the soup slightly with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Ultimate Recipe Swap is a chance to share one of your favorite recipes, according to theme. Please hop around and visit the other participating bloggers and just say HI. Please stick to theme. This week is soups.