Good Habits

Feeling like you want to get traction in your life, but not sure where to start? This list of seven good habits may offer some inspiration.

Disclosure: This post includes an affiliate link. If you make a purchase through that link, I am paid a small amount in way of advertising fees. Your price does not change, but your purchase indirectly helps support this site. So thanks!

This past weekend I was this close to a meltdown. {holds fingers about an inch apart} It wasn’t like things were crazy or bad. In fact, things are very, very good. Everyone’s healthy, the sun’s been shining, the bills are paid. I’ve got no complaints.

Except for the jumble of things going on in my mind.

There are things that I want to do to make life easier, more enjoyable, slower. They aren’t hard things to tackle. They’re all really good things, but they were one big mess in my head.

Where do I even begin?

I want traction. I want to move forward on our family’s and my goals. I want to make sense of these big dreams and enjoy the life God has given me.

I want my insides and my outsides to be as calm and peaceful as this lake:

So, here’s how I’m tackling things:

Thanks to reading One Bite at a Time, I’m trying to work out a morning routine to start the day off right. It’s a Morning High Five for Mama, if you will.

My Morning High Five

• drink a glass of water
  • drink a cup of coffee, cream, 2 sugars
  • journal my prayers
  • read the Bible and ride the exercise bike
  • take a shower and get dressed

It isn’t rocket science, but it does set the tone for the day.

For the rest of the time, I’m revisiting these 7 habits to help me move forward. Even if there’s still a swirling mass in my head, if I know that I’m on the right track, I can relax and know things will be okay.

1. Worry less.

2. Read more.

3. Keep a household notebook.

4. Be prepared.

5. Eat better.

6. Set financial goals and pursue them.

7. Plan more downtime.

Are you working on any good habits?

Comments

1. Margery H. says:

Hi. Just wondering, are you able to read the Bible and ride the exercise bike at the same time? This sounds like a great way to use time effectively if it really works.

• Margery H. says:

Just a note, I didn’t really write that comment at 4:02 a.m. I live in Eastern Time zone!

I can’t do it well with a book, but it’s really easy with my Kindle. It’s great motivation to do either or both!

• The you version bible app for iPad, iPhone or itouch has lots of bible and devotional plans and the best part is you have the option to have it read the scripture to you. I often have it read aloud while I’m getting ready in the morning or nursing the baby. My husband uses it on his driving commute. I’m sure it would be perfect in headphones or on speaker while you are working out.

2. Stephanie says:

I bought the book and I’m working on my evening and morning routines. I know, two at once! LOL I’m gonna give myself a month to make these habits and then move on.
    Evening Routine:
    Think about/make notes for next day
    Floss, brush teeth
    skin care
    Pray
    Kiss my husband goodnight

Morning Routine:
    Drink a glass of water
    Exercise
    Shower
    Bible Reading/Prayer
    Breakfast

3. Your comments hit my week right on the nail! Things are good but I can’t get the knot out of my mind. I was told last week, beginning of a new year, didn’t count. This week begins it all. I’m going to try small steps, i.e. morning routine, to make things easier and more organized. Thanks so much for letting me know I’m not the only one!

4. sooo true. I am trying…not quite there yet on the morning routine :)

5. I love the idea of “revisiting” your goals. Goal number one for me to revisit is eating better. But isn’t that on everyone’s list. Making a plan and praying for grace. Have a great day!

6. Loved this post. Just what I needed.
    For the first time in a long time, I made the time for myself a priority. I started reading 10 Minute Time Outs for Moms (Grace Fox) and the Five Love Languages of Children (Gary Chapman & Ross Campbell) in addition to my Bible. It’s amazing how refreshing just taking the time out for me has been.

Thanks for the ideas, encouragement, and examples!

7. My major habit I’m working on is to speak more kindly, even during particular times of the month, a-HEM. ;)

I’m also working on, along with DH, having more fun. We both take life much too seriously.

8. Must be that start fresh time of year that is making me feel the same “jumbled up, fix everything at once and do it now!” sort of feeling. I did have a meltdown on Sunday afternoon but after the melt comes the repair! I simply LOVE the picture of the lake with your words. I want the exact.same.thing. You always say things so well, thanks for the inspiration. I am going to carry that picture of the lake in my head.

9. It’s really hard for me to start a great morning routine since my morning pretty much consists of running my children’s, dogs’ and husband’s routines. But, I suppose I could start getting up earlier!

10. Jen Fitzpatrick says:

Just to let you know, while I was at basketball watching my daughter practice and helping both boys keep focused on homework, I was thinking that I really need to come and visit you. This way I can see how wonderfully you do everything and hold it all together! I just keep reminding myself that this is just one stage and pretty soon another one will be upon me! It’s just so nice to know that we’re all in this together! (and that none of us really have a clue on the best way to do things……………….) :)

Oh, my friend. If you came to visit, you would see how I DON’T do everything wonderfully. LOL I hope that came across in the post. We have chaos and cross words just like anybody else. We definitely are in this together!

• Jen Fitzpatrick says:

It definitely came across that you have chaos and all the other stuff everyone else has, but even if you don’t think that you do everything wonderfully, know that I do think that you do!!!! Right now I’m dealing with mounds of laundry and I have no idea where it is all coming from! It seems for every 1 load I do, 3 more appear. The same goes for dishes, dirty floors and the usual stuff lying around………….all in a days work and I definitely wouldn’t change a thing (well, maybe the laundry!)

Well, truth be told, my kids do a lot of work. They each have kitchen jobs that must be done at every meal. I cook and wash the pots. They do the rest. As for laundry, we try to limit what they have to choose from and talk about not tossing it in the hamper unless it is dirty, else my head will spin around. They all can fold the towels, so I don’t.

Just a couple tricks that might help?

11. Jen Fitzpatrick says:

I’ll take any advice I can get! I started having the kids put their clean laundry away and they have to take their dirty clothes to the laundry room. My oldest even takes mine down! I know I have to have them do more though. That’s why I loved your idea of getting the kids more involved in the prepping of meals. I’m definitely going to work on that task as well!

12. Did you steal my goal list? ;-) My goals are pretty similar to yours, and I would love for my life to be as calm as that picture too. :-) May the Lord bless you in the new year!

13. I have just discovered your blog and I must say that it is an amazing souce of encouragement. My hubby and I are both paramedics working in Saudi Arabia. As if that wasn’t stressful enough…..we are homeschooling our 6 y/o and chasing our 17 m/o sons. Two dogs, a cat, and a few fish complete my little family in Saudi. I have been very close to a meltdown myself lately.

God Bless!

14. thanks for sharing this my good habits im trying to start:

-get in some form of exercise daily
    -write in journal every day
    -get reconnected to friends