Frugal Friday: Share a Money Saving Idea

Frugal Friday is designed to be an exchange of ideas, money saving ones.

Wow, it’s been three years since I started hosting Frugal Friday. Time flies! In that three years a lot has happened on this blog and in blogging in general.

For one thing, the blogosphere has gotten larger. In the early days of Life as MOM, I knew everyone that I interacted with on twitter and facebook. In fact, some of those folks that I met way back when have become very close friends, like JessieLeigh and Lynn.

For another thing, my time has become more crunched. When I started hosting Frugal Fridays and even before that when they were featured on the now-defunct, Biblical Womanhood, I had time to visit each and every link every week. I gained so much knowledge this way in how to save money and fight back debt. Sadly, I haven’t had such a luxury of time as of late, so I haven’t been able to read each and every post.

The purpose of Frugal Friday

However, in the last few months, this resource of Frugal Friday has become muddy. While I love it that folks participate each week and link up their posts, sometimes people don’t even stop to read other posts that are linked, let alone my own.

I know who you are; I saw you walk in. ;)

It’s almost like speed dating or something. You throw down your link and move on to the next table. Doesn’t sound very fun, personally. And what am I saying, anyway, the folks that should have heard the last three paragraphs aren’t even reading. Ha!

On the other hand, there are the readers who are hesitant to link up if their frugal topic doesn’t match well with mine. You don’t need to worry about coordinating your post with mine. As long as you share a good idea for saving money, you are a perfect candidate to participate in Frugal Friday.

So, that is my request and my money saving idea for the week. Time is money. Please don’t waste other folks’ time by posting an irrelevant link. If you want to share a recipe, there are lots of recipe carnivals out there, like URS or Tasty Tuesday. If you want to share a giveaway, then link up over on Mom Advice.

Here, on Fridays, we’re talking about money saving ideas.

Please make it clear in your posts that you link up how your post will help us be frugal and save money. I have a delete button and I’m not afraid to use it.

I don’t really want to be the bad guy. But, I respect my readers’ time, and I hope you will, too. Please don’t post irrelevant items. But, feel free to lavish us with your money saving wisdom!

Comments

1. Speed Dating… that’s funny. :) I met my husband on Yahoo Personals and it was funny how many “winks” came from people who did not bother to read…

I linked in some of my (admittedly redneck) re-uses in the kitchen.

Thank you for hosting!

2. I got a chuckle out of this post. When I first starting blogging I was very intimidated – a little scared to comment on you big bloggers blogs. Silly! I now know better.

I linked up a post on why I buy mostly lost leaders. Thank you for hosting! And thanks for all of your fabulous posts and recipes. I’ve learned so much from you.

I got a chuckle out of this comment! I don’t consider myself a big blogger. Ha! No need to be intimidated of me. :)

3. Hi! I get what you mean about linking and leaving- I co-host a blog hop each week and I’m sure there are some that link and leave, but at the same time, there are others that participate to the full extent of the word, depending on how busy they are, and for that, its worth it.
    Even though you said dont just share recipes, I shared 2 recipes this week because they are about helping you be frugal- one is a gluten free chocolate cake that doesn’t use any expensive ingredients, because gluten free and frugal are NOT synonymous, but in this recipe they are. And I linked up to an “empty pantry soup” which helps you not need to run out to the store to buy food when your pantry is bare, as this uses only very few, long lasting ingredients, and frugal ones at that. Have a great day!

4. Ha haaa. Speed dating. Please pass this idea on to other meme owners! Irrelevant posts on a meme are quite annoying.

5. I was almost afraid to enter my recipe, but it, like other recipes I post, is extremely frugal.

I hope it’s OK!

And yes, you’re one of the big bloggers in my inbox.;)

As long as you explain how it is a frugal recipe, you’re good. And I would never accuse you of irrelevancy, Annie Kate.

6. Giggle :) I think we had a very similar conversation not so long ago via email about this very subject!! At least I know where I fall (no cheese recipe to share!) I’m sharing a way to stretch the fabric softener, that stuff has gotten expensive!

I’ve never used fabric softener, believe it or not. The odors bother me tremendously. But, good to know there’s a way to make it last longer.

7. Haha! Love this! Memes have definitely changed since I first started blogging 4 years ago. I love visiting the other links, most of the time I find something that I never would have thought of.

Thank you for hosting week after week!

8. I don’t always look at other posts that night, but I come back and look at least some in the morning. I shared about cloth diapering tricks. I hope that doesn’t not count. I figured since it was tips on cloth diapering (a very frugal exercise) it would be fine.

Also, I did not realize you did not like recipes and for that I apologize because I have linked up recipes, usually for homemade convenience and expensive foods (such as gluten free things) but, I promise to stop!

I love recipes! As long as you explain why that recipe is a money saver IN THE TEXT of your post. The headnotes of a recipe are a great place to explain the benefits of the recipe. But, some recipes are not as obvious as others. So, make it clear. ;)

9. I don’t have anything to share this week, but I wanted to say your post made me laugh!

10. Thanks for your honesty!!! I am guilty of “speed dating” sometimes, I guess! Haha! :) I guess it has to do with trying to hurry through my “to do” list on some days!
    I am actually linking up an old post, but thought it was fitting…I have just given 3 haircuts in the last 2 days at my home, and that saves me close to $30! That’s huge…I thought I would encourage moms of boys that you can do it!

11. I shared how to individually freeze brownies for lunch boxes, plus it saves you from over eating. lol Love frugal Fridays

12. I swing by every Friday and read the blogs that have an interesting title to draw me in.
    I always read your post, FishMama!

I don’t blog about saving money, etc so I don’t leave a link. Rest assured, I read about 15 or more weekly from your link-up.

I’m not worried about you. ;) It’s the folks who want the traffic, but aren’t really participating in the conversation that worry me.

• I’m in the same boat, Jennifer! Love all the tips, but am not myself a blogger. Big thanks to all of you our there who share with us!

13. Thanks for posting – this is a good reminder. I think this is a great resource for frugal ideas and I do find it frustrating to click on a link and it’s off topic!

14. What a excellent post. You’re money saving ideals and expression are very eloquent and thinking I will return many time.

Just kidding, I’m not spam. But you’re right – no one likes getting a comment or participation from someone who isn’t really participating. Thank you for saying something and for saying it so *well*, Jessica!
    I just started joining Frugal Fruday a few weeks ago, and I’ve been wondering what the limitations were, because I saw recipes and other posts that weren’t tips but still could be some kind of frugal thing. Thank you for laying down the rules again! It helps me know for sure whether my post is a good canidate.

Love your spam-like intro! Glad you’re all taking my sass with the good humor it was intended.

15. My hubby just finished his PhD this past August–he was in grad school the entire first 6.5 years of our marriage. That was quite a long time of to live in what I think of as “default extreme frugality.”:) We learned a lot of tricks for saving money over that time, many of which we still do, despite the fact that our income literally tripled after he started his job this past fall. Not that we weren’t content–we had more than we needed and more than many of his fellow grad students. But there were some things that we would have liked to have.

One of the things that we found ourselves happy to stick with doing even after he started his new job was our own hodge-podge internet-cable-cell phone package. I say hodge-podge because we purchased each of these from different providers and it came out far less than any bundle package out there.

Our internet was high speed DSL purchased through Verizon. With that, we received a land line with unlimited long-distance for $60/mo. (Not having Internet at home was not an option for us do to my husband’s grad school responsibilities.)

Our “cable” was Netflix. We were blessed with a Wii one year for my birthday because my husband sneaked around convincing the members of my (rather large) family to take whatever they would have spent on me and mail it to him so that he could buy a Wii and a Wii Fit Plus for me. (And he shopped around for the best deal! I love my frugal husband!:)) After that, we were able to stream pretty much anything through Netflix. We paid for a 3-disc package which (then) cost us $19. And we never had to watch commercials (helps with the whole contentment thing:)), and we never missed an episode of a show that we liked!

Our cell phones were (and are) basic–they don’t take pictures or go on the Web–all they do is take and place calls. While we were in grad school, since we had the landline with unlimited long distance, that was what we used for most calls. My hubby didn’t want me driving around without some way of calling him if I had car trouble, so we paid $100 each year for a 1000 minute phone card, which was used mostly for “emergencies.” The minutes didn’t expire for a year, and I never used them all before the year was up. My hubby spent $30 about every 2 months for a phone card for his phone. His cell phone was essentially his “work” number, and he couldn’t have fulfilled his grad school responsibilities without his own phone.

So, total, we spent an average of $102 per month for high-speed internet, “cable,” and 2 cell phones. Admittedly, our “cable” was an unnecessary luxury, but that part only cost us $19/mo. And $102 beats any bundle package that I have seen advertised, after you calculate in the (unadvertised) fees and taxes!

Our current choices since my hubby has a “normal” job and we now live in the LA area are to pay $40/mo for just cable internet service (no cable), stick with Netflix, (we may spend $1 on an antenna to get local channels–our neighbor said that she picked one up at the 99 cent store and it works great:)), and we’re going to stick with prepaid cell phones–although we are saving to buy new phones and we’re going to upgrade to a different prepaid plan ($30 per phone per month) that will include some data.

Wow, this was a lengthy comment–but I’m not sure if I could have explained it in fewer words! Well, maybe…

Great tips! Thanks for sharing them. Amazon Prime has become my new Netflix. For less than $8/month I get two-day shipping AND all the Caillou and Dora I want on free streaming.

• Hmmm…now you’ve made me curious about the Amazon Prime thingy because we have it for free right now (I didn’t look into it enough to realize there was more to it than 2 day shipping!)…can you stream through a Wii to your TV, or is it only via a laptop?

• Don’t forget the free Kindle books with their lending library. I don’t have a Kindle, but can read books with an app I downloaded to my PC. This saves me a lot- my last overdue library bill added up to $30! :/

16. Great post! I’ve appreciated that this blog carnival is themed and that theme is meaningful. Not just a smorgasbord of meaningless ideas like many out there. Thanks for keeping it that way!

17. I have loved Frugal Friday’s since it was on Biblical Womanhood. I remember the Friday you took over and I was so excited for you cause I loved you blog (still do). Frugal Fridays is the first blog carnival I thought of joining when I set up my blog this January cause it embodies so much of what I value and therefore what I want to blog about. Even though I admit I link to it without reading it first, I always come back later in the day, to read your post and often others. Thanks for hosting such a great platform for sharing and learning.

18. Thanks for the reminder to check out other peoples’ posts. I’ve subscribed to a couple of new sites!

19. Rebecca says:

I just wanted to say thanks!! I hate when I click on a link for something and it is totally irrelevant. I commented about that on another blog that posts something on Mondays how frustrating it was that out of 16 link ups, only 2 were relevant to the subject. I have several kids and we homeschool and I am busy as are all moms, I know. I hate to waste time on stuff I don’t want to read about!
    Thanks!

20. Jessica! I just found you through Twitter and it’s so good to “meet” you. We’re very similar and I’ve enjoyed your site. You have a really easy way about you. Too bad we’re not neighbors! Also, thanks for the frugal Friday link up. Love it!

21. Love your blog. It was one of the first I ever started reading. I have learned so much from you. I started last spring (mainly coupons and deals for my small little town) and would love to share some of my money saving posts. I have just been afraid to and unsure of myself…yes, a little intimdated too by those of you who are pros. Anyway, loved this post. I usually check the posts out– I just never leave anything…..guess I’m a nerdy speed dater. :)

No, you’re not a speed dater. You’re a participant. The speed daters are the ones who link and run. :)

22. Way to lay the smack down ;) I don’t have a blog, so I don’t link, but I come by weekly to read your post and any links that seem interesting (I also read you throughout the week :) ). I was getting a little tired of the “want to work from home” links and such :)