- Life As Mom - http://lifeasmom.com -
12 Ways to Save on Cars and Gas (Frugal Friday)
Posted By Jessica Fisher On June 28, 2012 @ 7:54 pm In Frugal Friday | 30 Comments
Most of us find ourselves needing transportation from time to time. Here are 12 ways to save on cars and gas.
I had such fun Thursday afternoon waiting for the the digits to line up perfectly on my odometer. I get excited that my car is really old and sports a lot of miles on it. 111,111 miles. Woohoo!
Yes, I’m a geek like that.
(Excuse the dust on my dashboard. Apparently, I don’t geek out over detailing.)
It’s also one way that we’ve saved money over the years. It’s been four and a half years since we mailed in our last car payment. At a minimum of $350/month, that’s a savings of $18,900. Yeah, I’m a numbers geek.
But, you knew that already.
$18,900! If you have a car that’s paid off and you pay yourself a car payment for the next four years, you’ll have enough to pay cash for a nice, used car in just a short time. And avoid a boatload of interest!
Today, I’m sharing 12 ways to save on cars and gas.
1. Drive your car until you have to replace it. Use what you have. You can wear it well, like Jen . ‘Nuf said.
2. Pay cash for a replacement vehicle. Read why car debt can make it hard to sell your car .
3. Buy used cars .
4. Replace your tires, etc.  to improve your gas mileage.
5. Replace the captain’s chairs with a bench seat to accommodate the new baby. It really worked for us .
6. Use public transportation .
7. Plan a staycation  and save on gas costs.
8. Lump your errands together to save mileage and gas.
9. Do regular maintenance on your car to extend its life.
10. Use grocery store points to get gas discounts. We use Ralph’s points at Shell  to save money on gas.
11. Buy Costco gas . Costco regularly has the best price in our neighborhood.
12. Use Gas Buddy  to find the lowest prices where you live.
Time to swap ideas and inspiration for saving money.
Please remember to follow the Frugal Friday Guidelines or be deleted.
Article printed from Life As Mom: http://lifeasmom.com
URL to article: http://lifeasmom.com/2012/06/12-ways-to-save-on-cars-and-gas-frugal-friday.html
URLs in this post:
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifeasmom/oGdA
 free updates via email: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=lifeasmom/oGdA
 my free seasonal newsletter: http://eepurl.com/q47Vb
 You can wear it well, like Jen: http://beautyandbedlam.com/it-just-doesnt-matter-what-you-think-well-kind-of/
 Read why car debt can make it hard to sell your car: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/08/frugal-friday-does-car-debt-make-it-harder-to-sell-a-car.html
 Buy used cars: http://amysfinerthings.com/save-money-drive-a-used-vehicle
 Replace your tires, etc.: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/02/saving-money-on-auto-service-and-repair.html
 It really worked for us: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/01/frugal-friday-how-we-saved-15000-on-a-bigger-minivan.html
 Use public transportation: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/02/public-transportation-another-frugal-friday.html
 Plan a staycation: http://lifeasmom.com/2011/03/planning-a-great-staycation.html
 Ralph’s points at Shell: http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/grocer_rewards/ralphs/
 Buy Costco gas: http://shop.costco.com/BC/In-The-Warehouse/Gasoline.aspx
 Use Gas Buddy: http://gasbuddy.com/
Copyright © 2011 Life As Mom. All rights reserved.