- Life As Mom - http://lifeasmom.com -
Posted By Jessica Fisher On April 17, 2013 @ 6:45 pm In Baking,Good Eats,Main Dishes,Recipes | 11 Comments
Bake a calzone in the shape of a fish! It’s easy; it’s fun; it’s tasty!
Remember last week when I shared my pizza dough origami from Friday night? I confess, I was pretty pleased with myself. I didn’t think it would work, but it did!
Of course, now I’m on a mission to find more clever shapes to craft with bread dough. Stay tuned for the madness.
In the meantime, let me show you how to make a fish. This is so very easy, you can let your kids go at it. If you have a regular pizza night already, so much the better. Today I’m going to show you how to make it!
Since I buy these items in bulk, I estimate each 12-inch pizza or each fish-shaped calzone costs about $2.50 to make. So, this is a good cheap eat, too.
1. Roll out 1/3 of the batch of pizza dough into an oval. Place it on parchment paper or grease the pan and sprinkle it with cornmeal.
2. Layer on the toppings. I used 1/4 cup of sauce, 1 handful of cheese. Add pepperoni and olive to taste. You could use other toppings, but I recommend sauteing any vegetables you use since those might make the whole thing soggy if uncooked.
3. Slice angled slits, about one inch apart along the sides, like fringe.
4. Starting at the top, fold the fringe toward the middle, overlapping where they meet. Leave the bottom open and add extra cheese on the “tail”.
5. Bake at 500° for about ten minutes, until filling bubbles and crust is brown.
6. Slice up the fish and serve with additional sauce for dipping.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Article printed from Life As Mom: http://lifeasmom.com
URL to article: http://lifeasmom.com/2013/04/fish-shaped-calzone.html
URLs in this post:
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifeasmom/oGdA
 free updates via email: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=lifeasmom/oGdA
 favorite pizza doug: http://goodcheapeats.com/2009/07/basic-homemade-pizza/
 Last-Minute Pizza Sauce: http://goodcheapeats.com/2013/04/last-minute-pizza-sauce/?preview=true
Copyright © 2011 Life As Mom. All rights reserved.